Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding "air" in post?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Adding "air" in post?
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
I read in Bob Katz's mastering book about adding "air" to recordings by boosting about 15k . . . Anyone doing this, and want to talk about it?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Re: Adding "air" in post?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
That's in the upper end of the treble range I EQ in... I usually run a pyramid-looking bump from about 8k-12k.  Sometimes I boost at 16 as well.... but depends on the gear I used, etc.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
I read in Bob Katz's mastering book about adding "air" to recordings by boosting about 15k . . . Anyone doing this, and want to talk about it?

Bob Weir made David Hassinger quit by asking for the sound of "Thick Air" The Anthem to Beauty  documentary has Bob and Phil talking about it, and what they'd do now to get it, Phil says that he probably wanted compression.

End of topic swerve
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
I should also add to my original post that I'm not looking for the "air" sound as much as just curious what that sound actually is (I mean, it sounds appealing  ;D), and want to experiment to see if it's an improvement on my tapes.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

Bob Weir made David Hassinger quit by asking for the sound of "Thick Air" The Anthem to Beauty  documentary has Bob and Phil talking about it, and what they'd do now to get it, Phil says that he probably wanted compression.

End of topic swerve

I vaguely remember hearing about that.  I think what they wound up doing was adding white or pink noise to the recording and everybody was happy.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
I should also add to my original post that I'm not looking for the "air" sound as much as just curious what that sound actually is (I mean, it sounds appealing  ;D), and want to experiment to see if it's an improvement on my tapes.

it's a sheen is the best way I can describe it. You can boost the 11-15khz area to get an idea and listen to a section where the crowd is generally (relatively) quiet and there isn't any music.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »
To give you an idea, in Waves Paragraphic EQ there are two "air" presets.  3dB peak (acidjack's pyramid) at 15kHz and 6dB boost above 16kHz.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »
To give you an idea, in Waves Paragraphic EQ there are two "air" presets.  3dB peak (acidjack's pyramid) at 15kHz and 6dB boost above 16kHz.
Ha! It never occurred to me to check for presets. Thanks, I'll mess around with those.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.287 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com