Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: add tags for viewing on computer  (Read 1798 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
add tags for viewing on computer
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »
I've made a few cds for friends and they would like to see the names of the songs on their computer, but I can't figure out how to do this (metadata?) in any of the programs that I have. I have tried to do it in foobar, and also have flacfrontend, but am only able to input general data about the venue etc. Can anyone help me with this?
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: add tags for viewing on computer
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
if you are talking about adding info on redbook cds you burn for friends, the only way to have stuff embedded in the disc is by cd-text.

but if it is showing up on their computer, than their players likely are accessing the freedb for tag info.

to write a cd with cd-text, you can use eac.

to take a cd you have made, and then add the info to the freedb, you can also use eac.

hth
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply Macdaddy. I guess I'm looking to embed metadata in the file so that when I either upload the file to one of the filesharing servers or make a flac cd or dvd of files of a show, the names of the songs will appear on his ipod or computer. I know how to put general info about the show in flacfrontend, but am a little confused how to put song/track info in there as well. Is it simply a matter of renaming the file say to 01 Sugar Magnolia?

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:39:01 AM »
foobar will write metadata... load the songs as if you're playing them and then right click and select properties.  You can then add the common tags to this interface.  Artist, Album and Title should all be supported by iPod, WinAmp, Foobar, etc.  You can also update multiple files at once so you can update the Album and Artist for all tracks of a show at once and then and do the titles individually.  Note that this will only work on Flac, MP3 and other file formats that support meta data (not SHN, and not WAV).

There's probably plenty of other tools, but this has worked great for me.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 03:56:13 PM »
I've done this with mp3tag... works nicely.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 09:12:11 PM »
apples, oranges, and pears...

cd-text shows stuf in cd players that display cd-text...

tags in your flac files (from foobar) wil show up in your flac files when they are played by a media player...

entering the info for a cd in freedb makes it so that anytime anybody puts that cd (or exact copy of one) in a computer cd player, and accesses the freedb (which foobar and winamp do), the info will show up in the media player...

but all three are different steps...

eac works great for the first and third steps; fb2k works great for tagging flac files (alternately, you may use tag.exe)

hth
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:11 PM »
Is there anything wrong with naming the file the actual title of the song? In other words if it's a david grisman show, name the file dgq2006-11-22 and then naming the individual files/songs say 01 Dawganova etc. Is there a problem with this in uploading a show to bt or archive?

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:30:33 PM »
Must say, I've found how to add metadata in foobar. But how does one actually rename the original file so that the song title etc appears on a computer? Is there a way to save the info you've just entered? I can't seem to find it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com