Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 104827 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #270 on: August 25, 2006, 03:18:07 AM »
Did someone find some pics of the internals of this recorder?

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #271 on: August 25, 2006, 09:18:03 AM »
Okay, here are my .02 after using the R-09 for the first time at a show two days ago.

First of all, I think it sounds great. My impression is that the A/D is a huge improvement over the SBM1/D100/M1. To me it sounds beautifully crisp and transparent and makes the stock SBM1 sound grainy and flat in comparison. So I guess I disagree with those who have compared it to the SBM1.

pros
-long battery life (Using 2500mAh rechargables, I recorded about 3.5 hours at 24/48, and then another 3 hours of 320kbps mp3 the next night. The low battery message came on later that night during playback.)
-super easy to use; all settings and menus are very intuitive
-it's small
-very accurate level meter (could be a little slower though), the peak light is also very useful
-internal mics are suprisingly good sounding
-you can't turn the thing off while recording (even if hold is engaged)
-A/D sounds great IMO (see above)

cons
-display may be a little too bright for stealth operations, same is true for the red REC LED
-build quality is rather poor
-I'm getting occasional drop-outs during playback
-lack of digi-in (has been discussed before)

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »
Which are not in the recording?
I.e.: when you play the file on your PC/Mac/etc all is fine?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »
The bright clip light on the r09 is PERFECT for remote fiber optic clip monitoring.
Who has the fiber adapter for sale and accepts paypal?  ;D

BTW: how can we contact Roland to ask them for features like the peak-hold?

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2006, 11:31:31 AM »

I think you acutally have to call them. I've never been able to find an e-mail address or a form.
Retired Taper

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »

FWIW, I have noticed occasional clicks in my R9 playback, but they are definitely NOT in the actual recording.  And I don't seem to remember hearing them lately. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2006, 12:43:45 PM »
The bright clip light on the r09 is PERFECT for remote fiber optic clip monitoring.

Now that would be cool, especially if it's just attached to the Bodyglove case.  You got me thinking.  The only problem is that to adjust the levels you have to have the hold switch off, and with the hold switch off it's not so hard to accidentally pause or stop recording with the thing in your pocket.  I've done it.  Maybe you need two fibers, one to the clip light and one to the recording light.  I wish the level adjustment was active with hold on, I dont think I'd make any accidental adjustments to those two little buttons on the side.  Just thinking out loud.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
Who has the fiber adapter for sale and accepts paypal?  ;D

I spoke to Chris at Sound Proffesionals yesterday regarding some wiring issues ( I screwed up)  with my AT943's and he told me that the guys at Roland visit this site to see what we have to say about their stuff.....He asked if I had any issues....I told him to tell them that it would be nice to format a 4 gig card inside the R-09 and not have to worry about a PC to do it.....and add the option to shut off the damn I'M STEALTHIN' OVER HERE, BRIGHT RED LIGHT.......He said he would convey my concerns

So let it rip people.....hopefully one of them will join in with the discussion......but then again they probably have their reasons to keep their distance.....Well at least they will read what we have to say...

Chris also said they are already working on the next R-0?.............Hopefully they can shrink the R-09 down to the size of a jelly bean and of course add a digital in.....I'll buy two of them...

;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »
[Chris also said they are already working on the next R-0?.............Hopefully they can shrink the R-09 down to the size of a jelly bean and of course add a digital in.....I'll buy two of them...

How about an R4 the size of an R-09 with two 1/8" stereo mini mic/line/optical in jacks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »

Yeah, just during playback on the r09. The files were all fine. MP3 files don't seem to cause dropouts, so I guess it's some kind of buffer issue.

Offline phr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »
I just want them to add digital in, increase battery runtime, and support large capacity cards "officially".  They've got this stuff close to figured out by now.

I see someone on ebay is selling Samsung 8GB SD cards ($180 Buy It Now) and 16GB CF cards ($380).  Anyone up for testing an 8GB card in the R09?  If I get the cash together, I might buy a 16GB CF card for my PMD660 for a festival coming up in October.  That will let me record the whole thing in 16/44 WAV instead of mp3.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
I had an issue w/my r09 the other night.
looked over, and it was frozen (abouit an hour 50 into the set).  I had to take the batteries out to get it to shut down.
turning it back on and hitting record, same thing.

I swapped out the SD card for another one, a brand name sandisk 1gb card and it worked fine.
I dont believe it was the deck at all, but a problem w/the very cheap generic SD card that I was using.  its a 4gb sandisk clone.  same colors to make you think its a sandisk product..but its not.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2006, 08:53:51 AM »
Last night I revisited the comp I tried to run recently.. Ran mg200 > v3 > r09 and microtrack.  And, no, the r09 bass roll off wasn't on  ;)

Of course the performance, billy joe shaver, wasn't one of those less than 2 hours shows I keep hearing about (from the guy pushing microtracks and A/Ds)..  At 1:40 I started getting nervous and wondering when they'd break for the encore to give me a chance to restart the mt recording.. Never happened.  I finally had to go for it at about 1:55 and lost a bit as they were going into another song.  Microtrack took FOREVER to save the file. Pathetic..  That's just weak-ass lame programming. And they never left the stage for the encore.

Good thing I have a complete source from the r09.  Too bad the microtrack f'd up the v3 source that the band wanted to release.  I'm not sure why I didn't use digi out to the 722 instead of the mt  ::)

Haven't listened yet. Both were 24/48.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2006, 03:00:56 AM »
had another bad run with my r-09 tonight. this makes 3 of 4 times out where i had a problem but this was the 1st time of 2 runs with fw v1.03. my 1hr opener came out but the 2:15 ben harper set displays as 1 sec. information says it's a 1756 mb 24/48 file so i might be anothr bad header.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com