Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: goddamned windows  (Read 3328 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
goddamned windows
« on: July 08, 2006, 06:18:40 AM »
i know this doesn't have much to do with recording, but it's a computer question that's been driving me semi-nuts lately. in addition to trying to con windows into cooperating, i've done some google searches and tried one registry fix but to no avail. the question:

how do i make all folders open up at the same size? in other words, how do i change the default folder display size? i hate having to open up each folder that i open frequently then close it to make windows remember that size. god help me if i open a newly created folder; then it'll open to what seems to be windows' default size aka most of my screen.

any tips for this bonehead q?

p.s. nothin out of the mac peanut gallery!  ;)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: goddamned windows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:25:35 AM »
start>>control panel>>>folder options>>>view, then tick "remember each folders view settings" box.

Offline winisp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »
You can also configure all folders to look the same way (i.e., follow a template) by configuring a folder to look the way that you want it and then click:
Tools > Folder Options > View > Apply to all folders

Between this and Teddy's suggestion you can have standardization and customization.
AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:27:47 AM »
thanks for the replies, fellas. i've definitely done both of those, undone 'em, combined 'em, uncombined 'em, and done other shit to boot. the problem is that it seems that upon opening a folder for the first time, the initial double-click, windows displays the folder at the size of 800 x 600 pixels. i'm running at 1024 x 768 so this "default size" is fucking annoyingly large and if i was running the screen at 800 x 600 the default opening size would take up the whole screen.
standardization would be nice. open every folder at a manageable 400 x 300. is there such a way? sizing a folder to my liking then choosing "Apply to all folders" under Folder Options just ain't working.
tak for hjaelpen!

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 02:38:46 AM »
maybe you're doing something wrong

the apply to all folders procedure should work just fine, hell I even tested it myself right now and it worked
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
Does a new empty folder open at your specified size or does it open in Windows default size?

I tried doing what z is trying to accomplish on my Dad's box - he runs XP while I still prefer 98 - and never found a way to get new folders to open the size Dad wanted. Already exiting folders, yes; new folders, no. I've since found a program that allows one to do it but it's not free so I didn't forward it to my Dad. It does have a 60 day trial period so Zhianosatch can determine if it meets his needs and if it's worth the money.

http://www.actualtools.com/windowguard/

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »
set up the folder as you want it.
in the tools>folder options>view window, uncheck "remember each folders view settings" and check the "apply to all folders" button.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Try "Windows Key + E", it is a keyboard shorcut for opening Windows Explorer.  I prefer the 2 pane tree/folder contents view anyway.  Ask a Mac guy how to do that with just OSX.  FWIW, I just tried doubelclicking on a drive in My Computer and resizeing the window and my Pc retained the size setting. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
I may be misinterpreting what zhianosnatch wants to do but I think he wants new folders to open in his preferred size(300x400) not in windows default(640x480, 800x600 or whatever it is). Once a folder is opened and resized, the size settings should be remembered; however, new folder windows are still created in WinBlows default, not the custom size zhianoman wants.

It's quite possible I don't know what zhianosatch is attempting to accomplish, but I think y'all are giving instructions for a different purpose. Without some more detailed input from z, all I can offer is the link I posted above.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »
Try "Windows Key + E", it is a keyboard shorcut for opening Windows Explorer.  I prefer the 2 pane tree/folder contents view anyway.  Ask a Mac guy how to do that with just OSX.

its called column view in Finder...   ;)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »
I may be misinterpreting what zhianosnatch wants to do but I think he wants new folders to open in his preferred size(300x400) not in windows default(640x480, 800x600 or whatever it is). Once a folder is opened and resized, the size settings should be remembered; however, new folder windows are still created in WinBlows default, not the custom size zhianoman wants.

It's quite possible I don't know what zhianosatch is attempting to accomplish, but I think y'all are giving instructions for a different purpose. Without some more detailed input from z, all I can offer is the link I posted above.

flipp's got it right on. i can be a verbose son of a bitch sometimes and i guess i screwed myself with my initial posts! thanks for the clarification, flipp.
i'm looking into this actual window guard business. i don't think it'll be worth 20 bucks but it's worth a look, and possibly a trial.
thanks! + to all

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 12:22:02 PM »
Does a new empty folder open at your specified size or does it open in Windows default size?

windows default, every time. +T to your dad for his and my troubles!

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »
Looks like that's what this tool does.

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer.html
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com