Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Where to start?
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good place to start reading up on "post production"?

For instance, some things I don't understand...:

1)Bit Torrent?
2)How to take a .WAV and make it a .FLAC
3)How to split tracks...(actually I found CD Wave Editor last night and split my first tracks...!)
4)What to do with a program like Audaciy....a guy once showed me how to "normalize", but I still don't understand what that is for/what difference it makes...
5)Ogg Vorbis/ all the other extensions on archive.com that are people use....
6)What is all of the "naming Flac files" and "checking flac files".....

That scratches the surface of my ignorance....

Anyone want to help me with any of the above? :-[
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
1) google search "bit torrent" all kinds of info out there on this popular file sharing technique
2) flac frontend for PC will convert your wav files to flac.
3) you got the right program
4) basically, normalizing a wav file finds the highest peak of your recoding and adds gain to make that peak at 0 or any peak value you set it too (-.3 is what i do).  if your recording peaked at 0, your wav file can't/won't be normalized.
5) those are just other formats archive.org converts your flac file set into.  you can choose to not have them convert it when you upload your show.
6) file naming standards are explained at many sites....including during the upload process at archive.org.

hope that gets you started, but keep searching the forums here as your inquiries have been discussed many times.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:25:29 PM by Brian »

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »
Thanks...I know this stuff is basic...

Of to the searches!!!
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 03:47:20 PM »
Alright....I am now FLAC capable.... ;D

+T's to you friend!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:50:57 PM by Mr.Fantasy »

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »
Alright....I am now FLAC capable.... ;D

+T's to you friend!

backatcha in 12.  after a few go-arounds, this stuff will all be 2nd nature to you :)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
I already have another question....

I had a 24/48 .wav file.....a master from a show the other night....

I downloaded Audacity and Cd Wave Editor last night....

and at some point I "dithered" (correct term?) the files from 24 to 16 bit....and I don't know how I did this/I can't figure out how to do it again....

Any ideas?

Seems like I may have normalized in Audacity...or not.....at some point I split the tracks up....

I just cant figure out what I did....I cant find where it talks about the "bit depth"(correct term?) anywhere.... ???

Offline friday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
I'm not an Audacity user but you should probably have a look at the second sticky thread in the Computer Recording Help category

Scroll down to "Examples", "24-bit Source File, 24-bit Final Format - Complex Editing / Whole File" and "Sample Rate Conversion / Resampling"

Good luck. As I mentioned I'm not an Audacity user (well.. I do have it installed and I've messed around with it but I didn't really like it) so I won't be able to help you.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »
Yes, I read the "workflow" last night... and it was helpful...

+T's for everyone for dealing with a newb....

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »
Check out Trader's Little Helper (TLH).  It will help you by compiling a lot of the work flow into one GUI program. 

BT is pretty easy but you need to 'set it up' first.  I VERY HIGHLY recommend uTorrent for BT.  Make sure there is a private port forwarded in your firewall (software or hardware, or both)  Check out portforward.com for instructions for your router/modem.  Pick a good, random, high number port like 20000, etc.

To create a torrent file in TLH you can click the 'create torrent file' tab:

1) point at the directory that you want to share
2) paste in the 'tracker address' which comes from the site you are going to share it on (or use one of the defaults)
3) 'create' the torrent file.  (Do not save it in the directory of the files you are sharing!!!!)

*****VERY IMPORTANT*****

Once you have created a torrent file of your shared directory you CANNOT CHANGE ANYTHING without creating a new torrent file!!!  Not even a simple text edit.

Once you have done this then go to the sharing site and upload your torrent file.  Once it is uploaded go and click on the new torrent file on the sharing site and point it at the directory of files you want to share.  It should "check" your files and begin seeding.  Sit back and watch the seed share.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com