Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Could "stacking" miniature mics cause any problems?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Could "stacking" miniature mics cause any problems?
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
So I can't decide whether i want to run my HEB or AT933 hypercards at an upcoming outdoor show (lo-pro).  Crowd noise is likely to be a problem, so HEB not ideal; wind could be a problem, so ATs not ideal.  In the hat mount not really an option at this point.  If I decide to run them both so that the HEBs will essentially piggyback on the ATs, could that cause any kind of weird interference (assuming the cables of each mic are still properly shielded)?  I'm thinking it would be fine, but i'm wondering if anyone has run a similar set up maybe in an open situation for A/B purposes, etc.

DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Re: Could "stacking" miniature mics cause any problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »
I've run my DPA 4061's and AT853's at the same time and attached very close together for a comparison. I had no issues with interference whatsoever. FWIW.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »
seems like mics get 'stacked' all the time.  I have never done it but I don't see why it would cause a problem.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
Appreciate the feedback.  Kinda what i figured, but thought i'd ask as I thought, but wasn't sure, if others have actually done this in the field.  coolio!

DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
I read something somewhere about having stuff near your mics could "disrupt the sound field" but I doubt that it would seriously affect what most of us are doing. Maybe in scientific measurements, etc. Try it and see! After all, look at some of the pictures of people hanging multiple pairs of mics off one stand in the Rig Pics section. Most of those folks are experienced tapers and if caused a problem I think the word would be out. Granted, you are talking about much smaller mics, but I bet its the same.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
Anytime you place anything near a microphone you run the risk of issues with sound reflections. But I would be more worried about the lack of boundary between the two omni mics causing real phase issues with any recording you might make. You need something between the two omni mics in order to avoid this problem like your head. As long as you have a boundary between the two omni mics LEFT/RIGHT then you should be fine. The effects of the cards will depend greatly on how you mount them together.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:08:08 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:05 AM »
Cybergaloot, what you read is perfectly true AND it can be quite audible in everyday recording practice; it's not just an "academic" point.

You can find this out for yourself by making some test recordings--set up your mikes on a stand or at some distance above a tabletop, then speak into them and move your hands slowly closer and closer to the mikes. You can get some weird sounds due to partial cancellation at various frequencies (phase conflict due to reflections).

Last night I was watching the wonderful TV series "Slings and Arrows," and at some point during some dialog that was filmed outdoors, I realized that I was hearing the reflections from what must have been the relatively small booth in which the dialog had been re-recorded in post production. Perhaps you've had similar experiences of being able to tell the size of the recording venue from the sound on the recording (particularly noticeable when the sound source moves). What we're talking about here is the same effect on a slightly different scale.

Primarily this affects the high and mid-high frequencies, since low frequencies have long wavelengths and can "flow around" most obstacles that aren't the large-scale, rigid structural features of a room. But the wavelength of 1 kHz is only about 13 inches, and for any given wavelength, anything larger than about half of that size can deflect a significant part of the wave, causing reflection or diffraction.

That's why small-diaphragm microphones (and small microphones generally) are preferred for the type of recording that tries to recreate an accurate picture of the original sound. A large microphone "gets in its own way" at high frequencies, and the point in the spectrum at which that starts to be a problem is lower, the larger the microphone is. For most conventional large-diaphragm microphones the problem exists in the 2 - 4 kHz range (the most sensitive range of human hearing!) and above; smaller microphones can "postpone" these problems for another octave or two. This affects not only the frequency response and polar (directional) response, but also the impulse response in a major way.

Solid objects placed near microphones can benefit a recording, too, as in the case of PZMs, sphere stereo recording or the Jecklin plate approach. But to know in advance what type of setup is likely to work takes a knowledge of physics and psychoacoustics. Otherwise you can count on needing an enormous amount of experimentation, with most of the results being less than optimal.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:16:33 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com