Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 107814 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »
I noticed the boominess too.  But I think that's why I like it so much.  The soundstage on the Aerco is just absolutely stunning.  Can't wait for that puppy to hit my doorstep.   :) 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 05:56:18 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how much I like the aerco under different circumstances..

It is not shy on the bottom end but I wouldn't call it bloated or boomy. It seems fairly accurate down there though definitely not as sanitary and tight as the v3. I haven't run it in a muddy room.  It doesn't seem to have the crispness of the v3.  The soundstage is excellent.  A lot depends on the source material and what you like.  At this point I'm inclined to use it mostly in good rooms and up close. In general it sounds very natural.

I have been running it behind the MG's and once with the mk4's. The mk4 source is tough to eval because it was the first time I've run cards at the venue and almost never go there.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »
I ran it in Madison Square Garden a few months back.  Its about as muddy a room as your gonna get.  I was really pleased by the results.  Especially with being in the back of the room. 

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »
I would never doubt the great Spyder9...but I find the Garden to be one of the most enjoyable venues of it's size...

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
Aerco arrived just in time for Xmas Jam.    Gave it a soundcheck on my home stereo and I have to say I am quit impressed with the Aerco.  Major kudos to Jerry... and especially Christian for hooking me up with this Pre. 

The sound stage on this puppy is very deep and wide.  My overall rig footprint shrunk 2/3 of its current size (Tascam HD-P2) too.  Can't wait to give it run this Saturday night.  I'll report back with my thoughts after the weekend.  I'll be running AKG 480 > Aerco MP2 > Edirol R09.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:55:56 AM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2006, 11:00:01 PM »
At last!

Does your aerco have the second output, the 1/8"?  I did an aerco > 722 recording a while back and ran the r09 out of the 1/8.  Haven't compared it yet..

Nope.  The mini jack was eliminated for this custom job.  Instead of having separate step-gain knobs for each channel, Christian had Jerry make the left knob the step gain for both channels and the right knob be a balance control (trim levels) for both channels.  Real slick stuff.  I don't even have to fiddle with the R09 to get the levels right.  Just use the Aerco.     

Jerry said the mini jack was intended for headphone/earphones.  He said go RCA out for the best results.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:07:06 PM by spyder9 »

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:50 AM »
Sweet......now your making me want to sell my MixPre and order an Aerco ( like I should have done in the first place )......
Best of luck with the new toy......I'm calling first dibs ....so drop me a PM when you get tired of it and want to sell it  >:D ;D ;D ;D......but I doubt it will be any time soon  ;D ;D
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2006, 12:18:29 AM »
Sweet......now your making me want to sell my MixPre and order an Aerco ( like I should have done in the first place )......
Best of luck with the new toy......I'm calling first dibs ....so drop me a PM when you get tired of it and want to sell it  >:D ;D ;D ;D......but I doubt it will be any time soon  ;D ;D
Peace,
jk

:lol:

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2006, 12:40:33 AM »
How are you powering the aerco?  are you using the internal batteries or does it have a connector for an external pack?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2006, 01:19:24 AM »
Internally, it takes three 9V alkalines which will power the unit for 10 hours (per Jerry's tests).  It also has an AC jack on the left side for connecting an external 9V Lithium, NIMH RC battery pack, etc.  With a Walmart 9V Lithium, I bet it powers the Aerco for hours.

The back of the unit has a switch.  Left is for running on the external power source, and the Right is for running on the internal Alkalines.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:23:53 AM by spyder9 »

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »
 :yack:

jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2006, 08:18:47 AM »
Aerco arrived just in time for Xmas Jam.    Gave gave it a soundcheck on my home stereo and I have to say I am quit impressed with the Aerco.  Major kudos to Jerry... and especially Christian for hooking me up with this Pre. 

The sound stage on this puppy is very deep and wide.  My overall rig footprint shrunk 2/3 of its current size (Tascam HD-P2) too.  Can't wait to give it run this Saturday night.  I'll report back with my thoughts after the weekend.  I'll be running AKG 480 > Aerco MP2 > Edirol R09.

Sweet.  I look forward to hearing your recordings!
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2006, 12:14:36 AM »
I'll be looking for something to replace my PS-2 when I get my yearly bonus in march.  This looks like the unit of choice.  Small, phantom, preamp... everything I need.  The wands are getting a little intense in Houston, so this really doesn't add much more metal than the PS-2.  Plus with the PS-2 you either need a good pre-amp or line transformers.

Thanks for all the info

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »
I did some tests a while back to compare the noise floor of the aerco vs. a couple other pres. One thing that I discovered is that the aerco is dead quiet when not adding gain.  In that case you're just running through the tranformers.  On some models the transformers apply 20db but mine is a 0db model.  I'm still pretty curious about a model with 20dB transformers..

So on friday I was thinking.. What if you run the aerco at 0db to get the transformer sound but take the gain from the 722?  So I ran:

1st set: mg210 > aerco @30db > 722 line @0db
2nd set: mg200 > aerco @0db  > 722 mic @ 30db
encore:  mg200 > aerco @30db > 722 line @ 30dB

The impedance on the 722 is different when in line mode vs. mic mode, so that is important to keep in midn.

It was a blues show on a friday (glug glug) so I went with hypers ("idiot filters") just in case.. But the crowd was good so I had to switch to cards.  Haven't really had a chance to listen but maybe some other aerco owners might want to try this variation.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 12:12:54 PM »
Newbie question: does the Aerco MP2 have noisy gain?  Or just noisy when compared to other high-end devices?

Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com