Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: plug in power  (Read 4055 times)

Offline pafnuzzi

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
plug in power
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
Hello

Can anyone give a summary of all recorders ( I think there aren´t a lot of them 2 ore 3 maybe) that offer more than 3 Volt plug in power on mic in. Point is I want to avoid this bboxes in the future. I only know about the marantz pmd 620 that offers 5 Volt.

At the moment I have the pcm m10 and I´m very satisfied with except the voltage point. Does any off the new recorders that recently came out offer more plug in power???

Thanks for answers

pafnuzzi
Recorder: Sony PCM M10 red

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: plug in power
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
My iRiver H120 put out 3.8V.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
The other way to view desire for most compact 2-piece outfit is from a system perspective of mic model + deck model working together to allow a two piece package.

While some mics do work at lower <4 volt deck supplied mic power, performance is limited if mic really needs >5 volts powering to avoid distortions.  But most decks delivering 5 volts or higher mic power are either large, and/or have powering limitations of not running long or reliably on internal batteries needing external battery solutions, so do not work for most recordists as desired 2-piece outfit.

Since starting the mic business in 1986 using cassette portables, it soon became apparent with the advent of more power hungry DAT recorders that a 'system' of deck+mic knowledge from the sellers perspective is needed for mic customers to be fully satisfied with the performance and ease of use of the total recording system.  Even so, most mic manufacturers to NOT consider what mic buyers need to have for making a 'working' recording package.  And this is one of the main differences in how I do business at Sonic Studios offering specific mic+deck system advice for having everything work together as required for a customer's specific interests.

Having said this, consider one of the only low profile mic+deck recording outfits working without compromises of mic performance, or need for external mic or deck powering.

These systems are fully displayed using different models of deck with my DSM mics in my retail section thread at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:49 AM »
Both Microtrack models and the Marantz PMD 620 put out about 4.6 volts PIP.

I measured my Edirol R-09HR and Sony PCM-M10 at about 3.03 volts and (shockingly) my old Sharp MT-877 MiniDisc at 4.15. No wonder my mic in recordings with the Sharp generally sounded good (unless the sound pressure level was too high for my unmodded AT 853's).

I measured my Edirol R-09 at 2.5 volts and Sony MZ-RH1 at only 2.25 volts.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline pafnuzzi

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »
How is the quality of the internal preamp on the microtrack regarding self noise compared to 09hr or pcm m10?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:56 AM »
How is the quality of the internal preamp on the microtrack regarding self noise compared to 09hr or pcm m10?

Going mic-in on an MTII?! AFAIK, they have a less-than-stellar reputation. The 1/8" mic input is reasonable, but certainly not as good as the other recorders mentioned:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=106690.msg1436276#msg1436276
Use the search to compare with guysonic's other graphs.

In my book, I wouldn't compromise and go for a second-rate recorder based on the highest voltage.
Get one of these for $30 and you're rid of the problem!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:29:56 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline pafnuzzi

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
Take a look at my signature ;D

I had a MM mint box that did not work and destructed a recording. I have the soundpro 12 Volt bbox which I´m going to send now for repair the second time within one year and also this box destructed an important recording. Ugly box is the best because so solid and easy setup. (Beside I take care on my gear like on my baby!!!) 

The point is you can believe me now or not but especially in recording classical music you hear a little difference between plug in power on pcm m10 or 9 volt box (anyway what 9 Volt box) but  when recording with the 12 Volt box you really hear a difference in the sound quality. The highs are clearer and the lower frequencies are rounder with 12 Volt powering the whole sound is directer. But surely I don´t want to use a box that did not work now for the second time...(while not using it a lot) do not trust it anymore :-\

So that´s the question plug in power - easy setup and secure but not the maximum you can get of your mics or 12 volt box and fear if it works today or not beside the frustration at home when listening to cracks...

A pity that chris church is not offering 12 Volt boxes. Would be a nice deal - Ugly 12 Volt power box ;D Only a thought....

Thanks for answering

pafnuzzi
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:26:55 AM by pafnuzzi »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
i have gone analog in on the mt and found it to be fine, but i record mostly louder shows - if you are recording soft stuff then the noise might be more of an issue
i also have my mt for sale in the yard if you are interested - comes with battery pack, tmic, memory
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »

I measured my Edirol R-09HR and Sony PCM-M10 at about 3.03 volts and (shockingly) my old Sharp MT-877 MiniDisc at 4.15. No wonder my mic in recordings with the Sharp generally sounded good (unless the sound pressure level was too high for my unmodded AT 853's).

how did you do the measurements?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »

how did you do the measurements?

Put a 1/8 to 1/8 cable in the mic in jack. Set a multi-meter to test voltage. Put recorder in record-pause. Touched one of the leads to the tip of the 1/8 cable coming out of the recorder and the other to the barrel (the part between the 2 black bands).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
Of course, measuring an open plug's voltage only gives unloaded (no mic attached) maximum available for mic powering.

Internal deck series current limiting resistor will lower this open circuit voltage depending on mic current that varies with mic being used.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com