Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Arena taping : where's the best spot ?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline optimisticpessimist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Arena taping : where's the best spot ?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
It's probably going to be a stereo mix in a large hall.

What is this statement based on?  I have to respectfully disagree.

First of all, stereo panning in a larger hall would mean that a large percentage of the people on one side or the other of the venue would be missing a significant portion of the music.  That makes no sense to me.

Secondly, I think it might depend on what kind of music we're talking about.  I can only think of one example of stereo panning out of all the rock/metal shows that I've seen in arena size venues, and that was just an effect in between songs, during a seque/intro.  With that in mind, I'd rather have a clearer, more upfront tape of 99% of a show, with perhaps small moments of one guitar, or effect, coming in more distant, than I would a more distant recording of 100% of the show.  But I suppose that's a matter of opinion/taste.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
But I suppose that's a matter of opinion/taste.

It is.  My opinion is based on over two decades of a arena rock concerts in which music is panned.  I have seen two guitarists take solos on separate sides of the stage and they can only be heard on the side of the stage they are on...as odd as that may seem.  To me, you want to try and capture what the FOH engineer is working on from not far from his location.  Stack taping to me takes out the acoustics of the hall and gives the recording a soundboard type feel to it.  I only do it with a chatty crowd in a room with very poor acoustics.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline optimisticpessimist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
It is.  My opinion is based on over two decades of a arena rock concerts in which music is panned.  I have seen two guitarists take solos on separate sides of the stage and they can only be heard on the side of the stage they are on...as odd as that may seem.  To me, you want to try and capture what the FOH engineer is working on from not far from his location.  Stack taping to me takes out the acoustics of the hall and gives the recording a soundboard type feel to it.  I only do it with a chatty crowd in a room with very poor acoustics.

Understandable.

From my end, I've been going to shows for over 13 years, have been taping for 10 of them, and have rarely experienced this.  Not to mention that I find it rare that a sports arena has good acoustics, coupled with the fact that I'm usually taping loud rock shows with rowdy crowds and want to eliminate as much crowd noise as possible.  Lastly, I prefer a closer recording, that often picks up nuances in the performance that can be missed by a FOB tape.

Offline alzeppelin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
Another thing I like to do is research the band's PA setup for the tour by doing a quick image search on Google.  Like one of the previous posters said, you can often get a nice tape from the upper level on the side since the PA stacks are more often than not hanging from the ceiling.  The lower rows of the upper level work out great for this *if* there is a side facing PA.

Taping from the floor is your best chance of getting a nice sounding recording if you want to play it safe.  Get as close to the PA stacks as possible but just make sure you are not underneath them.   

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
I think the universal lesson here is that on the floor, you have options, in the seats, you don't. Whatever happens, happens there. I think stack tapes from the floor will sound better then stack tapes from the seats (all distances equal) since your closer to the sidewalls for reflections. It's still a stack tape, but I think the room reflection will be deminished (which I agree, for most arenas, thats not a positive).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com