Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems Setting up my ArtPhantomII>SuperluxMics>JB3  (Read 1866 times)

Offline SURFDOG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problems Setting up my ArtPhantomII>SuperluxMics>JB3
« on: August 15, 2005, 12:37:52 PM »
Ok thought i had everything i need but i guess i was wrong... here is my deal.....

have the superlux condensor mics smk-c8k series i think, then i got a art phantom II preamp, then my JB3. so i went to radio shack to get all the cables/connectors. (yeah full on newb here) lol, anyways i thought i got what i needed, i got 4 mic cables then bought 2 male to female adapters(or vise versa), then i also bought 2 adapters that makes the end of the mic cable go from its normal size 1/4 to 1/8 so i can eventually hook it up to my Nomad, well then i got one double connector that i plug both of the 1/8 things into so it makes one that i can plug inot my JB3, (sorrry i dont know all the correct terminology), so anyways go to hook it all up and the mics are not picking up anything at all, right when i first plug it in the the jb3 and go to monitor recording the levels light up for a minute but then nothing,

only hting i can think of is that the adapters i got to make the audio cables go from thier normal size to the smaller size said Mono on the box do i need somehting that says stereo instead, well i hope someone can understand what i have written here, i know it might be difficult but im still learning, thanks in advance guys!

Offline dgodwin

• Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Problems Setting up my ArtPhantomII>SuperluxMics>JB3
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 12:58:31 PM »
You'll probably need some sort of line-transformer, similar to the Hosa MIT 176, which will give you some much needed gain.  The other thing to check is make sure your 1/8" stereo cable that plugs into the JB3 is making a good connection.  Many people have needed to file down part of the case, because you can't get a decent 1/8" stereo plug to fit properly.  Good luck with the problems.

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »
I run that same equipment.

I have 'regular' Male to Female XLR connectors that go from the Superluxes to the ART Phantom II.

I use line transformers (dgodwin mentioned the Hosa, I use Audio Technica AT CP8201) to give me a little bit of gain.  The transformers plug directly into the Phantom box and offer 1/4" male ends.

From there I went the Radio Shack route.  I have a cable that takes dual 1/4" female and outputs to a single stereo 1/4" male, then a 1/4"stereo to 1/8"stereo cable to run into my JB3.

The line transformers are OK but unless I'm really close to the sound source I don't have enough gain.  I hope to pick up a UA5 by the end of the year which will give me much better control over levels and provide a digital connection to the JB3, eliminating the need to use its noisy pre.

I'm wondering if you just haven't bumped the levels up enough on the JB3 to pick up any sound.  Did you set it for +12?  Double check to make sure the batteries in the Phantom II are fresh.  Remember that you have to switch the Phantom II on and select 48v.  HTH!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 02:50:16 PM by scottt »
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline SURFDOG

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 04:34:12 PM »
cool guys thanks for the help, one for ? i found this site that specializes in cables and such, so can any tell me exactly what cables and adaptors i need and where i can get them??? is 3.5mm the same thing as 1/8"???

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 04:53:08 PM »
Also recognize that the Art Phantom II is not a mic preamp, it only provides the necessary +48v phantom power to allow condensor mics to work.  I doubt even with concert level sound pressures you'd be able to get a good signal going line in.  You'll probably need to run it mic-in with at least 18db-24db of gain.  Or as Scottt notes, you could increase the gain you get out of the mics by using line transformers out of the Art Phantom box.  It may well be that the cables you have are working fine, but if you're recording your home stereo as a test, you'll need to run the JB3 mic-in and use say +48db of gain.  (All this might be good for testing the JB3 and your cabling, but from what I hear the mic-in preamp section of the JB3 is pretty crappy, so line transformers will be your best bet.)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com