Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Have you ever recorded over an already used DAT?

(1/1)

Trey Batson:
I hope that makes sense, but I plan on patching at ABB on Saturday and I don't have any blank 90m dats.  I do have a 90m that a friend had recorded from SBD on but it came out horrible with clipping, etc.  Anyways, I was just wondering what the implications of doing this are.

Simp-Dawg:
yeah you should be fine with that

super-phat-al:
i have wondered the same thing.  How much quality if any is lost?

EA:
I've done it in a pinch before. The results depend a lot on the tape. If it's a fairly new tape that's been recorded on once and played back only once, you'll probably be just fine. If it's a 5 year old tape that's been listened to a million times, you're going to be more likely to have problems.

Trey Batson:
Here's what the oade.com faq says:

--- Quote ---Is it okay to record over a DAT tape ?  

Yes. While a DAT machine does not erase the tape before re-recording, it does do a good job with this. When doing an alignment on a DAT machines record heads, you must use a fresh section of tape as the old signals are still present and can confuse the technician. We have never seen this cause a problem in playback. We do, however, recommend fresh tape for mastering applications, save the used tapes for dubs.
--- End quote ---

I remember reading this answer a while back but I was wondering if everyone else felt the same.

+T to all, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version