Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U vs. SP-CMC-8 vs. SP-CMC-9  (Read 13354 times)

Offline kinglerxst

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Any SP-CMC-9 users around?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
>IMO - The key to a good recording with them is a CA-9100 w/ the HPF filter on.
>(or something comparable in function)
>WHY ? because all the energy/voltage coming in is in the low Freq's.
>When you put a 'leash' on the low end...when there is too much bass.
>then the HPF filter normalizes the low end of the recording,
>and you don't overload your line in.

That's could be the way to go with the 943's, sounds like you've got it working fine. I found the opposite using the 933's. When I first started taping I would run with the bass filter on on my power modules and the recordings did come out nice. But then at one show one of them got switched to flat response and wala, the difference could be heard! From then on I've run everything flat response and the recordings are that much better, they have that feel that the previous ones didn't.

Not to say this is the way every rig should be done as there's many variances with rigs, PA, soundguys, venues, etc, but in some cases I think the filter can take some away from what you'd have gotten at flat response.  It does take some experimenting, and maybe even a little help from a switch gone awry ;)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »
>That's not the same as using the SP-CMC-4U's as I posted. I do know the AT943's do not overload. Only the 853's need the mod.

How were you running the 853's when there were issues at the shows you mentioned? Just curious as to what lineage the mod is needed with on the full body version 853's.

SP-CMC-4U > 9100 > and either a M10 or D50 Line in.

9100 was not clipping.

I disagree with the post in regards to using the HPF. I do all editing of the recording in post on an audio editor and never use the HPF.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
I disagree with the post in regards to using the HPF. I do all editing of the recording in post on an audio editor and never use the HPF.

There are obviously advantages to doing filter work in post, however there are some advantages that make using the HPF at the mic or preamp advantageous.

When you use the HPF at the mic/preamp you are allowing more room for the other frequencies in your bit depth.  this would be more important when using a 16bit recorder.  The second benefit is that the rolled off frequencies are no longer able to mask or distort the good frequencies.  You often end up with a cleaner recording if you roll off at the mic/preamp than if you would in post.   If the recording is boomy, distorts or you capture a bunch of standing bass waves, it is nearly impossible to remove completely in post...  You can do a drastic roll-off in post and still hear artifacts of the distortion...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.225 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com