Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powering at943's  (Read 12556 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: powering at943's
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 05:57:58 PM »
I never said anything about the AT853 or AT933 (which use the AT853 caps).

That is no longer true.  The old "933" used the 853 capsules.  The current 933 uses the smaller capsules as well as the 943...

In the grand scheme of things who cares.. I have used all of these mics as lapel mics so have alot of sound engineers if it smells like a lapel mic talks like a lapel mic looks like a lapel mic it is a lapel mic :) So lets move on shall we? ;)

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Alchemy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »

Why did you post all that info that had nothing to do with what I posted? I am talking only about the AT 943ES microphone. It was only manufactured as a lavalier microphone. That was it's only purpose since the very first day it was "realeased" by AT.

It's right on ATs own website: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c008d27ad2e507b1/index.html4

As I said, the 943 is exaclty the same as the 933, except for the clip groove.

In terms of body, yes. But the 933 bodies contain the 853 capsules, and the capsules in the 943 bodies are completely different i.e. a 943 capsule, making the mics completely different.

There was a "4" at the end of the link, but if you take that out, it goes to the page. But you quoted from it anyway so...it's all right there...

No matter how you add it up, those 943s are lav mics. OK, as they say in the UK "Cheers". I understand your point, but I disagree. So let's agree to disagree.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
In terms of body, yes. But the 933 bodies contain the 853 capsules, and the capsules in the 943 bodies are completely different i.e. a 943 capsule, making the mics completely different.

That is completely incorrect. They have the same body and capsule, just the length and termination of the cable is all that varries. 
 the 933 and the 943 both use the small 933 capsules.

In the past the 933 used the bigger 853 capsules with an adaptor ring (AT-ADAPT).

NOW, the 933 uses the small caspule.  When AT made upgrades to the ES line they made small capsules for the 933 and added the 943 (with lav groove) 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »

That is no longer true.  The old "933" used the 853 capsules.  The current 933 uses the smaller capsules as well as the 943...

In the grand scheme of things who cares.. I have used all of these mics as lapel mics so have alot of sound engineers if it smells like a lapel mic talks like a lapel mic looks like a lapel mic it is a lapel mic :) So lets move on shall we? ;)

Chris

I've used lapel mics as boundry mics, but that doesn't make them boundry mics....  Or does it?

I am having fun hear Chris!  Don't rain on my parade!

Alchemy

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »

That is completely incorrect. They have the same body and capsule, just the length and termination of the cable is all that varries. 
 the 933 and the 943 both use the small 933 capsules.

In the past the 933 used the bigger 853 capsules with an adaptor ring (AT-ADAPT).

NOW, the 933 uses the small caspule.  When AT made upgrades to the ES line they made small capsules for the 933 and added the 943 (with lav groove) 

Still going.  :P This is getting funny...

Actually what you posted is wrong because...there is no such thing as a "933 capsule". In fact, when AT released this "943ES" model, they actually only created an omni and card element for it. At the same time, they came out with the 933, which was little more than a smaller body with an 853 capsule on top.

But again, you are going off track from the original topic on whether the 943ES mic is a lav mic or not...

Alchemy

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 06:45:35 PM »

Chris

I've used lapel mics as boundry mics, but that doesn't make them boundry mics....  Or does it?

Parade? What parade? I proved that the 943 is a lav mic. The rest is just funny.

In fact, none of this really matters, does it? LOL...

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »

Chris

Parade? What parade? I proved that the 943 is a lav mic. The rest is just funny.

In fact, none of this really matters, does it? LOL...

You have proven that the ES943 is marketed as a lav mic.  However, I have shown strong evidence that the ES943 was a product variation of the ES933 and was not designed as a lav mic from the ground up.

Does it matter?  Sure.  Funny?  Absolutly.

There is no reason why we can't all share information here without getting emotionally involved. 

I could talk about this shit all day long.  That is my parade. 

The Audio-F'n-Technica Parade!

Alchemy

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:32 PM »
Sounds good to me! Just don't play with matches. You never know when you might get burned.  ;)

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Sounds good to me! Just don't play with matches. You never know when you might get burned.  ;)

Touché

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 05:08:45 AM »
As far as the 943 goes, they might not need the 4.7k, but the lowered sensitivity sends a lower signal to the preamp/recorder, which often overloads too....

Also, if using the 853 capsules with the 943 and adapter ring, the 4.7k does help.  Esspecially when using the microline capsules of either the 943 or 853(uni-line)

Yes because in the case of the 943 the distortion is happening in the diaphragm. Not in the fet. When you put on the 853 capsule * this capsule can Handel higher spl's for some reason * the distortion problem is back to the fet..And my mod will improve the max spl of the mics.

This whole thread is confusing, lol. Anyways after reading this post from Chris I think I'm now understanding this whole 'Distortion' thing with the AT933/43 mics.

I'm guessing that to stop the diaphragm from distorting its best to use windscreens?
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
I'm guessing that to stop the diaphragm from distorting its best to use windscreens?

It is best to use a different microphone.

Windscreens can reduce some low frequency problems (like wind and plosives), but they will not reduce the powerful slam of a kick drum pumping through a PA....

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Windscreens might help. The wind could be what is the problem here. It might explain why my test at 1k showed this mics have very good spl handling. I dont know its worth a try. I dont think these mics are junk by any means. I want to be careful here I dont want people getting rid of these mics!

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I thought I would take a moment to clarify a few things here. There are in fact several versions of the mics you are all talking about (AT933, AT943, ES933, ES943, etc).

OK, here we go.....first, the "ES" prefix stands for 'Engineered Sound' and is AT's line of mics that are only available to installed sound contractors and OEM customers (FYI, The Sound Professionals is an OEM, Professional Products and Consumer products customer of AT's, not an installed sound contractor). The "AT" prefix is just a standard Audio Technica product.

Anyway, to keep this simple, the oldest version was the 933, a hanging mic, and did not have it's own set of mic elements. It used a flared adapter and used the 853 elements, which made it only slightly smaller than the AT853.

Then, a few years ago, AT created 3 new elements for the mic (Omni, hyper cardioid and cardioid) and the new mic had a little groove added to the body to accept a clip. At this time, they added a new version with a thinner cable, so there was now a lapel version (with thinner cable) and a hanging version (with heavier cable).

Then, about a year ago, they redesigned it again (along with the AT853, now U853) and improved the RFI rejection and made them RoHS compliant.

So, what we now have is the lapel version (lightweight cable) and the hanging version (heavier cable) of the ES943 (our part # SP-CMC-8) and the old standby AT853 (now U853), which is our part # SP-CMC-4U. Lastly, the close cousin, which does not get talked about much here, but is actually our best selling cardioid mic, the AT831, which is our part # SP-CMC-2, which has not changed in the 10 years we have sold it.

Lastly, all of these mics work on the same powering principals, they are all 3 wire mics. Their maximum high SPL performance is realized with this power supply:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT8532

next best is a phantom adapter like this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/NADY-CBM-40T

next is a battery module:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/310/mics

Hope this clarifies things.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:03 PM »
Hello:

I think I did :-)

The best way to power them is with the AT8532 power supply.

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »
And if you don't feel like spending any money and want a DIY 3 wire battery box that will work just as well as any AT box. You can see this thread on how to build a simple battery box that will properly power these mics as well. http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72994.0.html And I have also noticed that you can use a 9 volt battery box and wire these mics 2 wire and get the same performance as three wire with out the 12 db loss in signal that 3 wire gives you.

Chris

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:04:23 AM by Church-Audio »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com