Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth taping -- rain  (Read 26414 times)

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
stealth taping -- rain
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »
I have a few outdoor stealth shows coming up.  In the event of rain, I'm researching how to handle things.  Here are some old posts I found on the topic.  The condom method seems like it would muffle the sound way too much.   

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108390.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89155.15.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,46149.15.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,40783.0/all.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81254.15.html

Any tips/advice about taping in the rain would be very much appreciated. 

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: stealth taping -- rain
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
Any tips/advice about taping in the rain would be very much appreciated. 

I've simply held an umbrella when stealthing in rainy conditions, and used windscreens for a little extra protection.  Some people have wrapped their mic bodies with a bid of cellophane or even condoms as well.  I think a small umbrella (the tiny travel ones are good because they have a small diameter/footprint) is your best bet though.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:16:59 AM »
Is a recording of a pa system really worth the risk?

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

uhhhh.... yeah.

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
mmmm...... kay

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
My thoughts are that since you'd be stealth that's a bit problemmatic if it starts to rain.  If you're open and the mics are on a stand, while it takes some advance planning, it's no problem to put a stand umbrella up to protect your micsand wrap your gear in a plastic bag. 

For stealth, I've heard that the condom method actually isn't as obtrusive as you might think...maybe you need unlubed lambskin rubbers for maximum sensititivty :P ;).  It's always worth trying out beforehand wiht your home stereo system to check your results...just make sure your stereo isn't ovulating.   ::)

You also want to contemplate the fact that you're maximizing a bad situation and even if the sound is a little degraded, it's probably gonna be alot better than nothing and I've always reasoned that I'm not gonna jeopardize my expensive gear for one recording, so better safe than sorry in terms of rain protection. 

Perhaps if your mics have clips you could put them beneath the bill of a baseball cap that you're wearing.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »

I really don't understand this question.  Should the event go undocumented simply because the recording is of a PA rather than an onstage multi-mic recording?  If the PA is the only recording method available?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »

The only music worth recording these days is world music performed by master artists from the middle east. Everything else is pure garbage and should go undocumented.  :P
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »

I really don't understand this question.  Should the event go undocumented simply because the recording is of a PA rather than an onstage multi-mic recording?  If the PA is the only recording method available?

Agree and there's nothing wrong with recording off the PA anyway.  Outside, 99% of the time it's the only method available.  Inside, it depends on the size of the venue, but most music venue's have fine soundsystems that sound great.  In that case, a decision must be made whether stage lip or mic stand from the room would provide a better sound than the PA.  While it's often true that stage lip sounds better, if the mix is off then it can sound like shit.  So, don't forget about mixing issues.  For example, I've often recorded the band but the vocals are routed through the PA and there's only one way to get a good balanced recording (with vocals) and that's to record from the PA.

Having said this, I'd agree with the commenter for situations when the venue isn't a music venue and where the performer sets up their own crappy PA speakers on a stand, but even then the PA recording might sound better than a distant room recording if the room sounds like crap.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:38:43 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
The best option I can think of is waterproof mics such as dpa 4060 or sennheiser mke2 ect.

If you want to use non-waterproof mics then just protect them as much as you can with fabric or plastic as suggested. 

I had the problem of taping in the rain many times this summer and managed to pull it off using only fabric to protect my mics (although it was not totally pouring).

If you have any doubts don't bring gear that is too expensive.  If it is really pouring I will run my cheap mics.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »

The only music worth recording these days is world music performed by master artists from the middle east. Everything else is pure garbage and should go undocumented.  :P

You assume allot, yet know very little. Now you add childish to your repetoire.

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »

You assume allot, yet know very little. Now you add childish to your repetoire.

C'mon girls.  Neither of you are adding a thing to this thread.  If you feel the need to catfight with each other, then go someplace, just the two of you, and do it.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »

I didn't read the comment to be a knock on PA recording. I think the question is whether or not getting one nights recording is worth the replacement value of your equipment. PA recording is what you would most likely be doing if you have to deal with the possibility of rain.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:11:00 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

mfrench

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
thank you for critically assessing the question.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »
The best option I can think of is waterproof mics such as dpa 4060 or sennheiser mke2 ect.

If you want to use non-waterproof mics then just protect them as much as you can with fabric or plastic as suggested. 

I had the problem of taping in the rain many times this summer and managed to pull it off using only fabric to protect my mics (although it was not totally pouring).

If you have any doubts don't bring gear that is too expensive.  If it is really pouring I will run my cheap mics.
Countryman B3 are also very good for rain.  I had them on my hat with some Rycote "overcovers", little furry circles about 1" diameter that stick on to any surface with double sided tape.  Works great!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.36 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com