Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110354 times)

Offline mdarnton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2006, 07:49:37 AM »
OK, never mind. I just found S/N specs for the R09, and they're really not very good--a lot worse than the MT. Funny--over on the MT side of things that discovery was one of the things that sent people off screaming for the R09--then the R09 comes along, and it's poor, by comparison.

Hmmm. I guess it was just the unobtanium factor again......
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:52:47 AM by mdarnton »

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2006, 09:10:54 AM »
OK, never mind. I just found S/N specs for the R09, and they're really not very good--a lot worse than the MT. Funny--over on the MT side of things that discovery was one of the things that sent people off screaming for the R09--then the R09 comes along, and it's poor, by comparison.

If you're talking about the specs from the soundpros site, they're just copied from the R-1, I have seen no official published specs on the R-09 and only testing will show actual S/N as m-audio was busted for listing the specs of their internal A/D chip not actual in device specs.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2006, 09:16:22 AM »
Not sure of any online dealers, but I was in a local Sam Ash for an adapter and they had the R09 in stock.

thanks to neutrino, i picked mine up yesterday (sunday) from sam ash.

www.samashmusic.com to find one near you.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »
I don't think I've seen this mentioned..  Not all card readers can handle a 4GB SD card..  Here are some tests of commonly avail cards..

I had the same issue with XP only seeing 1gb of the 4gb chip.
This card reader works... http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS-RD13S

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
Thanks for the sam ash rec but the nearest store is 128 miles..  Guess I'll give guitar center a call in a few to see if they've got'em.

ummm, i'm betting that samash.com would have no issues with shipping one to you?

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2006, 12:41:40 PM »
Ooooo. I see the pro-Edirol bias is really strong in these parts--just asking a pointed quesiton about the R09's performance and noting their lack of providing any meaninful specs cost me 4 ts!

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
Ooooo. I see the pro-Edirol bias is really strong in these parts--just asking a pointed quesiton about the R09's performance and noting their lack of providing any meaninful specs cost me 4 ts!

Tell me exactly what specs say about the actual sound of the unit?

That is the real question: How does it sound? Not how good are the specs, IMO.

we are the people the rescuers will never find

blackmikito

« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
Not sure of any online dealers, but I was in a local Sam Ash for an adapter and they had the R09 in stock.

thanks to neutrino, i picked mine up yesterday (sunday) from sam ash.

www.samashmusic.com to find one near you.

What's the going deal on these anyway?  $349 I'm guessing?

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »
Pro-Audio wasn't BS'ing last week when they said they were getting a few in... I have a tracking number and it will be here wednesday  :)

I received mine on Friday from Pro Audio...
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

If you're talking about the specs from the soundpros site, they're just copied from the R-1, I have seen no official published specs on the R-09 and only testing will show actual S/N as m-audio was busted for listing the specs of their internal A/D chip not actual in device specs.

peace, chris

forgive my ignorance here.  Will someone please explain this to me?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »

The mt has great specs but the analog section isn't close to meeting them.  Huge amounts of background noise.  I am not surprised to hear that the specs they gave are of the chipset they used and not of the actual device.  That's fraud..   I heard it within seconds of first plugging my 4061's into the mt.. Hiss..   But it is a decent 24 bit bitbucket..

So with that loud noise floor there isn't much difference in range between the background hiss and the loudest noise.  I'd guess that 16 bit something > modsbm tapes could have more net resolution/dynamic gain/etc.  That's what folks are implying when they say the mt doesn't have 24 bit resolution/range/etc.  The noise floor is a big problem on jazz, folk or any other source that has quiet parts.  But it is not so much of a problem for T**l.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »

The mt has great specs but the analog section isn't close to meeting them.  Huge amounts of background noise.  I am not surprised to hear that the specs they gave are of the chipset they used and not of the actual device.  That's fraud..   I heard it within seconds of first plugging my 4061's into the mt.. Hiss..   But it is a decent 24 bit bitbucket..

So with that loud noise floor there isn't much difference in range between the background hiss and the loudest noise.  I'd guess that 16 bit something > modsbm tapes could have more net resolution/dynamic gain/etc.  That's what folks are implying when they say the mt doesn't have 24 bit resolution/range/etc.  The noise floor is a big problem on jazz, folk or any other source that has quiet parts.  But it is not so much of a problem for T**l.

so what this other person is saying is that the r09 is even worse than the MT?

I dont use my r01 for non 'under the radar' recording often.  I guess I should keep it that way.

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
Freelunch is talking about the MT only, and how its specs are fraud.  The R-09 preamp is far better than the MT and slightly better than the R-01 which most people agree has a decent pre.  Specs have never been released on the R-09, and I agree that specs don't matter its how it sounds.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2006, 04:33:18 PM »
hopefully this is the last question I have on this part of the discussion.  So its only when you use the pre right.  I use an outboard pre when I use my r01 and when I will be using my r09.  The analog stage is still used however, the pre in the edirol unit would not be.  So this doesn't effect me directly is that right?

Thanks for all your guys' help!  I just want to understand better.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »

so what this other person is saying is that the r09 is even worse than the MT?

I dont use my r01 for non 'under the radar' recording often.  I guess I should keep it that way.

The person in question is arguing that were fluffing the R-09 greater than what the specs say about how it "should" sound.

Of course one does have to take into account how you are using the recorder. I can say with confidence that most of us here are going to be using the R-09 with an external pre, or mic power supply of some sort via line-in, and NOT using the internal mic. I suppose the context of how most use the recorder is often just assumed around here without being clairified, which includes myself.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com