Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110353 times)

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2006, 05:21:08 PM »
If you are using an external pre, the design of the unit still matters since there can be excess hiss or noise on using line-in, which I hear is a problem on the MT.  The R-09 is very clean when using line-in, and the A/D converter is good.  You should do a comparison using your external pre versus the internal pre in the R-09, you may find using the external pre is worse, or not much better. Less gear to deal with the better.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2006, 09:16:34 PM »
You should do a comparison using your external pre versus the internal pre in the R-09, you may find using the external pre is worse, or not much better. Less gear to deal with the better.

I am unable to because of my setup to use the r09 pre.  I doubt the pre's that I use add more noise. 

I disagree that the less gear the better quality.

edit:  Just got the r09 today.  nice and small.  I need a new smaller, fanny pack now ;D

I cannot wait to use the unit.  It will get its first run at HSMF.  I will be running a comp with the r01 if anyone is interested.  I am just curious.  I will run both units at 44.1khz
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 09:18:38 PM by gngrbrdman13 »

Offline enaudible

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2006, 09:20:26 PM »
The attraction of this unit is the all in one design with hopefully decent mics feeding a hopefully decent pre feeding a hopefully 4 gb card. I personally want it and only it in my pocket. If not, then the flash memory alone is not enough convenience or reason to replace my PCM-M1. As it stands, the R-09 is the only thing of it's type available. (I know I am stating the obvious here.)

Yes, I would like to know a list of all the things out there that are better than it, but more importantly, a list of all the things worse. Sure another pre and another mic and nother doohicky will be nice and sound better, but what about the R-09 solo standalone?

Ultimately - is it worth it (to all of those out there that actually have had theirs ship) in its pure all-in-one-box self?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »
As it stands, the R-09 is the only thing of it's type available. (I know I am stating the obvious here.)

Pretty sure the MicroTrack falls into the same category.

The attraction of this unit is the all in one design
<snip>
Ultimately - is it worth it (to all of those out there that actually have had theirs ship) in its pure all-in-one-box self?

FWIW, it's not quite an all-in-one box.  It doesn't provide phantom power to mics.  And while it provides bias power, it's only 3.3v (per the manual, a la SunWizard's previous post) and therefore probably insufficient to power mics for most (or possibly all) purposes.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline uglybassplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
As it stands, the R-09 is the only thing of it's type available. (I know I am stating the obvious here.)
I'd argue that the MicroTrack doesn't quite meet that criteria because you still need an external mic (the included "T" mic may be the next best thing, but it's still an external mic.

The attraction of this unit is the all in one design
<snip>
FWIW, it's not quite an all-in-one box.  It doesn't provide phantom power to mics.  And while it provides bias power, it's only 3.3v (per the manual, a la SunWizard's previous post) and therefore probably insufficient to power mics for most (or possibly all) purposes.
Actually, it is an "all-in-one" box (at least it is using enaudible's definition)... You can take the R-09 in your pocket, all by it self, WITHOUT any other external equipment (mics, preamp, etc.) and get decent field recordings.  Is it an "all-in-one" box in the sense that it contains all the features many of us would want... Probably not.  In theory (especially if it supported 24/96), I would think that the Marantz PMD660 should be that box (and maybe with the Oade Brothers mod it comes fairly close for a 16bit box).  Of course, it would be a bit tough to carry around in your pocket ;)

- Frank.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 09:49:08 PM by uglybassplayer »

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »

Same catagory yes however, based on experience the a/d it the r01 sounds much nicer than the MT.  Less harsh, smoother highs and overall frequency transition.  I dont like the MT as a line input unit.  I agree its great as a bit bucket as freelunch already stated.

I am hoping the R09 is as good or better than the r01

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »
I'd argue that the MicroTrack doesn't quite meet that criteria because you still need an external mic (the included "T" mic may be the next best thing, but it's still an external mic.
<snip>
Actually, it is an "all-in-one" box (at least it is using enaudible's definition)... You can take the R-09 in your pocket, all by it self, WITHOUT any other external equipment (mics, preamp, etc.) and get decent field recordings.

Ahhhh...yes, well, from that perspective it's truly all-in-one.  I was stuck in taper-with-external-mics mode. :-\
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dhodgson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2006, 01:48:47 AM »
Well, I just got my Edirol R-09 in today, and being a music engineer I thought I'd do a little technical analysis on it... I think you guys might enjoy this, particularly since it has a couple recordings comparing the performance of the internal mics against the binaural SP-TFB-2's from Sound Professionals.

Enjoy!

http://www.dallashodgson.info/edirol/edirol.htm

-djh

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »
Well, I just got my Edirol R-09 in today, and being a music engineer I thought I'd do a little technical analysis on it... I think you guys might enjoy this, particularly since it has a couple recordings comparing the performance of the internal mics against the binaural SP-TFB-2's from Sound Professionals.

Enjoy!

http://www.dallashodgson.info/edirol/edirol.htm

-djh
Hey, excellent info.  +T.

Please note that you want to EQ out the speaker freq response first.

What I suggest is getting a flat reference mic, like the Behringer 8000, or whatever it is called.  Record the reference signal with that.  Then you could compare the mics options, make sure you put the mics/recorder in the same place.  You know that putting the mics in your ears affects the freq. response too, right?

My opinion?  The internal mics sound OK, but are pretty thin on the bass.  The in-ear ones sound great, especially if you're going to listen on headphones.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dhodgson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2006, 03:22:44 AM »
Yes, YMMV will vary somewhat with the shape of your ears, LOL. the monitors themselves are plenty flat (they came with reference plots from the factory) but certainly the room acoustics can affect things a bit. Good enough for government work, though - we're talking nearfields that were mic'd from only a couple feet away.

Offline Blue Noise

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »
Question about the SP-TFB-2 mics - if I wanted to record gigs and ambient nature sounds, which set is better, standard or high sensitivity? Also, for other mics, what's the best set-up or workaround for the unbalanced ins?

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2006, 12:21:09 PM »
Question about the SP-TFB-2 mics - if I wanted to record gigs and ambient nature sounds, which set is better, standard or high sensitivity? Also, for other mics, what's the best set-up or workaround for the unbalanced ins?

hey, how about keeping questions in this thread to the edirol r09?

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2006, 01:50:12 PM »

hey, how about keeping questions in this thread to the edirol r09?

i am baking a cake later today if i use yextra yeast andraise the oven temp 50 degrees will it cook faster and get bigger?

thanx!

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
Whoever got one at Sam Ash - Did they price match an internet price like people were doing with the MTs?

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »
Just got my r09... Gotta go get some AA's.  Just formatted my 4GB card..

Do NiMH rechargables work in the r09?

Yes, but you do need to select the battery type in the setup menu - which I believe regulates the battery meter to read correctly with rechargeables...
dB-
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:08:16 PM by neutrino »
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com