Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110819 times)

Offline Sverre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2006, 04:02:53 PM »
Going to buy this locally for $575 as I've calculated that buying from the US would only save me around $20 when considering shipping and customs (+25%). Plus the security of if something should happen I can fix it here instead of shipping it around half the globe. No way to avoid customs as neither SP or Cascade want to mark the value down, and I understand them well. If it gets lost in the mail with the value marked down I will not be refunded the $400.

I haven't decided if I'll buy it here in Norway or abroad yet, but I'll probably end up buying it from a Norwegian vendor as well, since it would be nice to have the protection of the Norwegian Sale of Goods Act, and NOK 3000 is actually not too bad. If I choose to import it, there is a way to avoid VAT in customs without devaluating it though...  You just have to find a seller who can put Product/Merchandise Sample (vareprøve) instead of Commercial Sample/Merchandise on the waybill/customs declaration ;)

Offline t4oo6l

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »
Just a little praise for Chris and his team (Scott specifically):  I had been having issues with my njb3's line/optical in.  I called soundpros to ask them about it since they are the only "taper" related retailer/distributor in my area.  Chris was extremely helpful and even offered to let me come to the shop so he could take a look at it even though they are not actually a repair shop.  I did, and after trying both the optical in with a a/d converter and the mic in with different mics we determined the problem, not to mention that Scott re-soldered the optical/line in for me at no cost. 

Chris was more that willing to help me out, and to let me check out both the microtrack and edirol r-09 to see what they were all about.  The r-09 is a great little recorder and I know when I'm ready to finally upgrade i'll be giving him a call to place an order.

Excellent customer relations guys, keep up the good work and thanks for taking time out of your day to help me out.

CSB > Edirol R-09
SBD > NJB3

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »

I think it's this gordon is talking about (at the bottom)

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/index.asp?axn=SRH2&ModNo=87&ItemID=TS4GSD150#5

Do you have the r-09 and a transcend 4 gb card? Please let me know if it work so i can buy one! :)

+t myran!

i do indeed have that very combination, both pieces landed in the last 24 hrs.  i'm out recording tonight (with an edirol r4), but i'll post some r09 tests tonight hopefully.

i did some very preliminary tests at work today with the internal mic, and... it did seem to playback, fwiw.

i did notice one thing:  it wouldn't format the card.  it just stayed in a loop, i let it run for 5 minutes before i pulled the plug.  turns out it didn't even touch the filesystem; the test sessions on the card were still present.  so.... i don't know what to say about that one.  obviously will test further...

Offline Myran

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2006, 05:38:25 PM »

I think it's this gordon is talking about (at the bottom)

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/index.asp?axn=SRH2&ModNo=87&ItemID=TS4GSD150#5

Do you have the r-09 and a transcend 4 gb card? Please let me know if it work so i can buy one! :)

+t myran!

i do indeed have that very combination, both pieces landed in the last 24 hrs.  i'm out recording tonight (with an edirol r4), but i'll post some r09 tests tonight hopefully.

i did some very preliminary tests at work today with the internal mic, and... it did seem to playback, fwiw.

i did notice one thing:  it wouldn't format the card.  it just stayed in a loop, i let it run for 5 minutes before i pulled the plug.  turns out it didn't even touch the filesystem; the test sessions on the card were still present.  so.... i don't know what to say about that one.  obviously will test further...

So the r-09 found all 4gb on the transcend card?

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »

Here is a link to one vendor and also a link to a thread on my website about my experiences with the Transcend 4gb chip. In summary, they have a utility which should allow you to access the full area of the media. I don't know if PQI has this. It seems reasonable that if there was some issue addressing more than 2gb that each vendor may have a workaround for it.

http://live2496.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecdm/shop/detail~dpno~601848.asp

Gordon

P.S. More on this
The utility is just for fixing the media back to it's factory settings so that you can address the entire space.

hi gordon.

i bought one of these transcend 4gb sd cards, and i'd love to have that sdfixcapacity.exe tool at my disposal.  the link is dead on your BBS.  do you have a copy you could email me, perhaps?

sleepypedro at gmail dot com

thanks in advance, i sure hope you can help me out.  transcendusa techs didn't know what i was talking about!

My fault. I see that I mistyped the link. For those that read this later ---it has been corrected.

Gordon
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:06:31 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline emalvido

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2006, 09:56:55 PM »
Whoa!  An issue with the R-09! 

Has anyone else noticed the prominent zipper noise when changing the record level on internal mic input?  This would not bother me too much except that it seems to also occur when the AGC changes the gain.  Put it in AGC mode, and say HELLO loud enough to light the clip LED and activate the AGC.  As the AGC releases, there is a short zzzZZZTTTT assumedly as the gain changes rapidly. 

I am aware that someone previously reported that there was no zipper noise, so I'm not sure what to make of this.  I upgraded to 1.03 firmware if that makes any difference.  Didn't test it before the upgrade. 

For me this is not a deal breaker.  I doubt I will ever use AGC mode because the time constant is WAY too fast.... it is more like a limiter or compressor.  It is beyond me why recorder manufacturers can't get AGC right.  FAST attack, SLOW decay, PLEASE!  Since it is apparently done in firmware, perhaps this is a potential firmware revision? 

I looked for a way to communicate this to Roland / Edirol and failed.  They do seem to isolate themselves pretty well. 

Paul
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:33:33 AM by pgoelz »
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2006, 11:56:54 AM »
A couple of observations after picking up an R-09 yesterday. It's about the same thickness of a MicroTrack but 1/4" shorter. Although the display is tiny, it is very sharp and the meters are fast and easily viewable. As mentioned in previous posts, once you engage a recording, the plastic ring around the record button illuminates rather brightly. Would have been nice to have the ability to disable the light in the setup menu. Unlike the R1, the R-09 has the addition of a peak light and a battery indicator. The R1 only has a low battery alert in the display which comes on minutes before the unit dies. I wish they had placed the USB jack on the side of the unit rather then behind the battery door, as the battery is mounted on a hinge and is somewhat fragile. With just preliminary tests around the house with my DPA's, the R-09 sounds very good. I'll have to do some comparisons with the R1 at a couple of shows next weekend, but it does seem to have that warm sound I've found in the R1, similar to that of the modSBM-1.      
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Ruari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »
Mics - I'm wondering as a newbie, (and this may be premature as I'm picking up my R-09 tomorrow after trying and returning the MicroTrack due to battery charging issues) what types of external microphone would be recommended for the R-09?  For home posterity recording of bagpipes, fiddle and banjo, and going to music coffeehouse jams to pick up tunes, also the odd concert (acoustic music only, no rock).  I am thinking of a single-point stereo mic.  With only 3.3V from the unit I assume I need a battery-powered mic.
I was guessing that the Roland accessory mic (to 17Khz) might not exploit the unit's full capabilities; on the other hand, I wonder whether something like a Rode NT-4 might be too good a mic, in that the self-noise of the R-09 circuits etc  might be more than the self-noise etc. of the Rode.  I have a Sony ECM-957 but it has insufficient bass response.
I see that the AT822 is an unbalanced self-powered mic and was wondering if it would represent the best match for quality and low noise?

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2006, 02:15:33 PM »
Mics - I'm wondering as a newbie, (and this may be premature as I'm picking up my R-09 tomorrow after trying and returning the MicroTrack due to battery charging issues) what types of external microphone would be recommended for the R-09?  For home posterity recording of bagpipes, fiddle and banjo, and going to music coffeehouse jams to pick up tunes, also the odd concert (acoustic music only, no rock).  I am thinking of a single-point stereo mic.  With only 3.3V from the unit I assume I need a battery-powered mic.
I was guessing that the Roland accessory mic (to 17Khz) might not exploit the unit's full capabilities; on the other hand, I wonder whether something like a Rode NT-4 might be too good a mic, in that the self-noise of the R-09 circuits etc  might be more than the self-noise etc. of the Rode.  I have a Sony ECM-957 but it has insufficient bass response.
I see that the AT822 is an unbalanced self-powered mic and was wondering if it would represent the best match for quality and low noise?

I can say from personal experience that the AT822 mic is excellent for an unbalanced stereo mic.  Very good mid range and low end.
Also Nady has a clone mic (Nady CM-2S) that sound very close to the 822, a bit hotter, and runs about $100 less.

Offline Jofa

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
Have anyone used the R09 "in the field"?
Mics: DPA 4061's, 2xSony ECM-101, Audix 1290 capsules, Beyerdynamic CK930's, Countryman B3's
BBs: 2x custom made bb's
Pres: Tinybox V1.5,  Church Audio ST-9100, PIPsqueak
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-09, Sony TCD-D8, Sony TCD-D3, Sony MZ-R50, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-M10

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »

I should be testing one this weekend at Bruce Hornsby in Atlanta......it is on the way from Cascade right now.   Will report when I have some results!
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline sleepypedro

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »

yeah i used it friday night to record tony levin.  it was just a backup deck, slaved out of my r4.

but i haven't transferred it or listened it, but it looked like it did fine  :-)

i'm actually stealthing with it for the first time tomorrow night, probably.

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:21 AM »
Has anyone found the ideal case for it yet? 

I needed some protection so I bought a nice little "digital camera" case that it fits nicely but it is totally enclosed by the case.  I would prefer a case that allows some access to controls.  The iPod cases are real close but just a tad too thin for the R9. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »
Body Glove Neoprene Mesh Cellsuit - Smartphone generic case works perfectly, gives access to the front controls and display through a clear cover, and the side power and level buttons are still accessable through the mesh:

http://www.bodyglove.com/products/product_buy.php?uselist=showcase&selected_prod=http%3A%2F%2Fbodyglove.mwrc.net%2Fxml%2Fen%2Fproduct.xml%3Fproduct_id%3D9180%26include_offline_products%3Dyes%26include_offline_retailers%3Dyes

I found mine at BestBuy for about $20.00

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com