Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My DIY bar for an alternate Tony Faulker array  (Read 19159 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: My DIY bar for Tony Faulker array
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »
One thing I don;t like is not an easy way to get the omni spread to 3 feet on that gracebar. Was thinking of building or modifiy one. How do you guys fit a 3 foot bar in your bag? It would not fit in mine. Guess could carry it with the mic stand.

Thinking of maybe trying to build arms on to my current gracebar that would swing out and to 3 feet and then fold them back in when not using them, my bar foot print would stay the same.

I just got a drill press for my birthday, and I am definitely planning to modify the type of bar I made for Hypnocracy to be even more user friendly and will cost far less than the Space Bar. Planning to offer this in the Retail Section in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:25:46 PM by CliveStaples »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: My DIY bar for an alternate Tony Faulker array
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
I use the Manfrotto "triple microphone holder" [ http://www.adorama.com/BG154B.html ] and carry it in a bag w/ my stand.  It's a little pricey - I found a good deal on a new one on eBay a while back - plus it's only 26 inches (might be a deal breaker for some).   Rock solid, though!  I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose you could move the center mics forward with 2 t-bars, or even further with a superclamp and extension pole.

Thanks for the link to that Rode interview! Watched the whole thing (an hour+) the other night... good stuff!

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
I use the Manfrotto "triple microphone holder" [ http://www.adorama.com/BG154B.html ] and carry it in a bag w/ my stand.  It's a little pricey - I found a good deal on a new one on eBay a while back - plus it's only 26 inches (might be a deal breaker for some).   Rock solid, though!  I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose you could move the center mics forward with 2 t-bars, or even further with a superclamp and extension pole.

Thanks for the link to that Rode interview! Watched the whole thing (an hour+) the other night... good stuff!

i have the same bar and love it..spaced omnis with hypers on the middle stud

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
I just use the 66cm Grace SpaceBar with extra mounts and the centre mount.  ;D

Review HERE.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »
John...I'm trying to find out what the forward or rearward adjustment with the bridge. It appears to me that the Faulkner Array has all the microphones in a parallel line? I saw this in the Review you have linked

Grace are about to launch a special bridge (pictured) for a central mic. With this arrangement, you’ll be able to have an M/S rig with omni outriggers, or use, for example, the triple ‘OCT’ arrangement of a pair of supercardioids and a middle cardioid eight centimetres forward of the others.

Are there any other uses for the bridge?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
John...I'm trying to find out what the forward or rearward adjustment with the bridge. It appears to me that the Faulkner Array has all the microphones in a parallel line? I saw this in the Review you have linked

Grace are about to launch a special bridge (pictured) for a central mic. With this arrangement, you’ll be able to have an M/S rig with omni outriggers, or use, for example, the triple ‘OCT’ arrangement of a pair of supercardioids and a middle cardioid eight centimetres forward of the others.

Are there any other uses for the bridge?

Since that one is already taken, we need a better name for this array! 

I drilled and taped holes at the ends of the legs of a small folding lightstand base which provides this same spacing to use for that OCT arrangement on-stage it a few times.  There was already a threaded hole at the end of one leg, I just did the same to the other two.  Obviously that won't work aloft, but it's an easy mod for anyone using one of these stands.  To use them I screw in studs and attach the shock mounts to them. Depending on which way I orient the ADK TL supermounts I can vary the capsule spacing from 12"-24" (30-64cm).  That's what I used to run the 12" spaced parallel 8's last week.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com