Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MS Matrix ???  (Read 1915 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
MS Matrix ???
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »
Has any one tried a MS matrix? And where if ya have? What did you think? I might have a chance next month in a small local bar and if a samll indoor place is not ideal I caould try this Thursday outside. Thanks in advance for any input.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
Re: MS Matrix ???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:17:55 PM »
Thanks and +t for my lazzy ass not searching for another thread. Problem I don't have the option to record both sources so mabey I well go w/ the conservative configuration of DIN or something. Just thinkin' out loud!!
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »
I'm just htinking outloud, but I would think that Mid Side wouuld be a good match for matrixing because you can widen or narrow the stereo image of the M/S channels to match the stereo image of the SBD channels. Also because of the nature of M/S you have more control over how much room sound you get, which could be nice for adding or removing more room sound to your matrix. again... just thinking out loud.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »
I'm just htinking outloud, but I would think that Mid Side wouuld be a good match for matrixing because you can widen or narrow the stereo image of the M/S channels to match the stereo image of the SBD channels. Also because of the nature of M/S you have more control over how much room sound you get, which could be nice for adding or removing more room sound to your matrix. again... just thinking out loud.

I have to agree 100%.  I recorded Dan Bern recently (M-S + SBD) and the soundboard mix was basically mono, so I widened the M-S mixdown and it made a nice sounding mix.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:21 PM »
Thanks and +t to all!!! And thinks for the incouragement.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:50:06 PM »
This should be obvious (I think), but just make sure that no matter what you do, you don't mix in an L and R from the SBD into the M and S channels of your AUD in real-time, unless you've decoded the M-S into L-R on the fly first. Otherwise, you'll be mixing apples and oranges, and you'll be screwed. If you can record the four channels seperately from one another, then this won't be an issue.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 06:08:16 PM »
I tried MS for the first time at HSMF for Sneaking Out a bluegrass trio that does crazy covers. Boy, do I dig taht sound w/ MS. I think I still like the J-disc better but I would like to try MS again for sure. Below is a link to my first MS pull from HSMF.
Peace
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=28005&uploaded
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com