Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Distortion-Free Mics For Metal-Shows  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Distortion-Free Mics For Metal-Shows
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
doesn't the music need to be distortion-free in order for the recording to be distortion-free?

haha, thats a great point..   that why I don't like metal!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 02:00:26 PM »
well guys ... its not a discussion about music, but of how taping that metal music ;D

soooo please answer my question ::)

***EDIT***

i looked for several battery boxes at MM and SP.
what is the better choice in regard to "stealthability"?
"MM-MBM Miniature "Mint Box" Battery / Filter Module with 7 position bass roll off" or "SP-SPSB-8 w/ bass roll off"?
the mint box looks small, but SP says "Extremely small and compact - the smallest long-life battery microphone power module available!", is that true ???

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:36:50 AM by tod3sschu3tze »
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »
i looked for several battery boxes at MM and SP.
what is the better choice in regard to "stealthability"?
"MM-MBM Miniature "Mint Box" Battery / Filter Module with 7 position bass roll off" or "SP-SPSB-8 w/ bass roll off"?
the mint box looks small, but SP says "Extremely small and compact - the smallest long-life battery microphone power module available!", is that true ???
I would assume SP mean "the smallest" that they have. Both manufacturers list the dimensions of the bboxes at their site, that should help you decide on which one you want.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8
http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmmimbobafim.htm

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
oh yeah you are right, the mint box really seems to be the smallest "main-stream-box" available.
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »
If you get the MM-HLSC-1 microphones, you will NOT need bass rolloff. I thought I would post that, as it's unnecessary and will save you $20.

Really, you can probably get away with running on plug-in power from the recorder, provided you have a recorder that gives plug-in power via the Line Input.

Also, just a thought here: even though you're looking for the "smallest" box, you might want to get a box that takes a normal 9V battery... reason being that normal 9V batteries are easier to find than the miniature 9V/12V/6V batteries, and the typical 9V battery will give 300 to 500 hours of power to the mics (a lot more time of powering the mics than the smaller batteries).

Just some things to think about, before making your purchase.

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 06:03:36 AM »
you are right, of course it is easier to get the standard 9V batteries, they are cheaper, too.
the iriver has a plugin-power of roundabout 1,5V via line-in, as i know.

hm, i am a bit confused about your statement that the hlsc-1 do not need bass-roll-off.
mike from microphone madness said:

Hi Phil,

I would definitely recommend using a batter/filter module with bass roll off for this application.  It will enble the microphones to handle higher sound pressure levels and clean up some of that unwanted bass content.

Hope this helps,
Mike

ok, of course he wants to sell mm's products :) , but what do you think about his recommendation ???
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »
you are right, of course it is easier to get the standard 9V batteries, they are cheaper, too.

hm, i am a bit confused about your statement that the hlsc-1 do not need bass-roll-off.

Hi Phil,

I would definitely recommend using a batter/filter module with bass roll off for this application.  It will enble the microphones to handle higher sound pressure levels and clean up some of that unwanted bass content.

Hope this helps,
Mike

ok, of course he wants to sell mm's products :) , but what do you think about his recommendation ???

Well if you are buying mics like the Sennhieser mics you dont need bass roll of because the bottom end is not there to begine with if you buy AT mics or my mics you need a bass roll off but if you buy mics with little bottom end then you will be fine. I would want all the bottom end I could get for concert recording but hey thats just me I would rather roll things off in post and just record a clean signal.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 12:20:29 PM »
alright thanks :D
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 11:06:31 PM »

I thought the iriver provided 2.5V of plug-in power. I've recorded concerts with the MM-HLSC-1 mics running directly into an iriver, with fine results. A 9V battery box is fine, though, and will ensure you're getting all of the mics' sonic quality.

Hi Phil,

Hope this helps,
Mike

Simply put: you do NOT need bass rolloff with those mics (they use the MKE-40 capsule). I'm not sure why Mike suggested bass rolloff, except maybe he wants the extra $20 he charges for that feature on a battery box.

The MM-HLSC-1 mics (pseudo-Sennheiser MKE-40 mics) sound "warm" (which I like), and like DPA4061s, they can handle taping very close to the PA without distorting due to sound levels or bass.

If I were you, I'd only buy the mics themselves. (Also, I'd probably get the MM-HLSC-2 mics, as they are the same as the HLSC-1s, except without the mini-rotating clips... but I never use clips to mount mics.)  Use them at an "unimportant" show, using the plug-in power on your iriver, and see how you like them. Then, if you feel you want a battery box, I would suggest either building your own (it's easy to build a basic battery box), or contacting someone like Chris Church (Church-Audio) because I believe he makes very affordable and very small 9V battery boxes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 11:08:02 PM by hyperplane »

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 06:26:13 AM »
Quote from: hyperplane
I thought the iriver provided 2.5V of plug-in power. I've recorded concerts with the MM-HLSC-1 mics running directly into an iriver, with fine results. A 9V battery box is fine, though, and will ensure you're getting all of the mics' sonic quality.

yeah, i wasnt sure about the correct plug-in power, i think you are right.
yes, this is the only thing i expect from a battery box: getting all of the mics quality. :D

Simply put: you do NOT need bass rolloff with those mics (they use the MKE-40 capsule). I'm not sure why Mike suggested bass rolloff, except maybe he wants the extra $20 he charges for that feature on a battery box.

ok, he "maybe" wants to make money, thats what i expected ;)

The MM-HLSC-1 mics (pseudo-Sennheiser MKE-40 mics) sound "warm" (which I like), and like DPA4061s, they can handle taping very close to the PA without distorting due to sound levels or bass.

great, this sounds like THE type of mics i am looking for!

If I were you, I'd only buy the mics themselves. (Also, I'd probably get the MM-HLSC-2 mics, as they are the same as the HLSC-1s, except without the mini-rotating clips... but I never use clips to mount mics.)  Use them at an "unimportant" show, using the plug-in power on your iriver, and see how you like them. Then, if you feel you want a battery box, I would suggest either building your own (it's easy to build a basic battery box), or contacting someone like Chris Church (Church-Audio) because I believe he makes very affordable and very small 9V battery boxes.

alright, you are more experienced than me, so i will follow your advice.
i mean, up to today i always plugged my low cost binaurals directly into the line-in and results were ok, except being right in front of the PA.
you say the HLSC-1 can handle that even without bbox, so i will only buy the mics first.
you are right, i can build or buy an cheaper box without bass roll off later.

but i like the mini-rotating clips of the HLSC-1 ;)

thank you! :)
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 06:25:22 AM »
the at's are the best option if you choose to run phantom power
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 08:07:05 PM »
sorry to hijack the thread but
what type of mic would be better for recording a loud metal show
Omni, Cardoid, or Binaural?

also
i have the SP-CMC-19s and am looking to upgrade
i have a budget of about $200

[/hijack over]
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »
I got my CMC-8s 3wire modded..... Metal shows, i am ready again.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
i have both, the sennheiser mm-hlsc-2 and the sp-cmc-8.
they are both great mics!
i like the sennheiser´s sound more, i recorded a local band at my pub some days ago and the bass-drum is just so fat and "kicky" with the sennheisers, not as thin as the sp-cmc-8´ sound.
the senns can handle bass perfectly, it almost sounds like a soundboard recording!
no bass-roll-off needed with the senns!
arni

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 01:33:19 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »
You want a three-wire battery box, with either the Senn MKE40 or with the AT853.  Both will sound great with the mod.  Even if it does not appear to distort, you will see an impovement at moderate levels.

*I* think the Senns sound (a bit) better, but the AT have replaceable caps.  Cardioids are fine for most things though.

Get either Church or Hyperplane to solder miniXLRs on and build you a 3-wire battery box.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com