Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tips on discrete mics for recording symphony  (Read 6396 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: tips on discrete mics for recording symphony
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
Cool...thanks for all the tips...where can I find some more info on the ca 1?  No info on the CA site...What about the CAFS for this kind of recording enviro?

Re: breathing and eyeglass mount...yes, I've found that I have to refrain from the big "sighs" that I do when I hear some idiot drunkenly talking near me! It helps if you surround yourself with actual music fans who want to listen to music and not each others' gossip. Gotta love the dimwits who - when given the universal sign for be quiet (finger over pursed lips) - decide to come closer and ask you what you're saying...right into the mics...

I HATE talkers. Thats the main reason Ive been running Hypers exclusively since 2003 :P ;D 8) :)

@cberryh2o: Pretty much we all have to refrain from being human while dealing with drunken wookies who come to party it up.  After the last few shows I've gone to, I'm almost tempted to stop taping altogether.

@Bean: I only wish there was a small enough, decent sounding and priced, HC choice available.  Unfortunately when running incognito (or as incognito as possible), using open mics isn't an option.  :)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
The quietest concert environments I've ever witnessed were consistently orchestral so I wouldn't worry about it.

Definitely...Although you do have the occasional pair of somewhat hearing impaired old ladies WHISPERING to each other.  And I have seen (heard) some pretty impressive snoring too!  There was a guy snoring so loud during a Hayden concerto once that the ushers made him leave...

ilduclo

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
I use my dpa 4061's and record to not clip at the applause (which is usually the loudest part of a symphony set). If you record 24 bit you can amp up the quiet parts without hissing. and also step on the applause to make it less prominent. Kind of a long process but worth it.

Here's an upload of a couple of operatic arias I recorded using that set up. If you have good acoustics in your hall (and most symphony halls do) you'll be pretty happy with any decent omni set up at 24 b.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ck6x5v

edit: on right side of theater, 3rd row back, hall is Beall Hall in Eugene.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:51:38 AM by ilduclo »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
The quietest concert environments I've ever witnessed were consistently orchestral so I wouldn't worry about it.

Definitely...Although you do have the occasional pair of somewhat hearing impaired old ladies WHISPERING to each other.  And I have seen (heard) some pretty impressive snoring too!  There was a guy snoring so loud during a Hayden concerto once that the ushers made him leave...

very true, I've seen some weird stuff like that before.

I use my dpa 4061's and record to not clip at the applause (which is usually the loudest part of a symphony set). If you record 24 bit you can amp up the quiet parts without hissing. and also step on the applause to make it less prominent. Kind of a long process but worth it.

If you want to be lazy about it, you could figure out the max peak of the music (e.g. -12db), then run a good limiter at just above that, and then a compressor to do parallel compression (or even a straight compressor with a fast attack and use something like 1.5:1)

If you have good acoustics in your hall (and most symphony halls do) you'll be pretty happy with any decent omni set up at 24 b.

I agree with this
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

zowie

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
The MKE2's work well as croakies, especially if you're not too far back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com