Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: possible upgrade?  (Read 8894 times)

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: possible upgrade?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
I just seem to recall with my sometimes..umm..smoky memory  that when the mod is used you can handle the high spls like with the phantom -but- you lose some gain i think it was. Now it was very little mind you, but it was still there.        now.. An additional mod and or pre was mentioned to combat this issue?               to me it seems like a lot of d.i.y. Just to get them up to where a phantom would have you in the (stock) firstplace.                i have run my u853>ps2  in fos that made it hard to breathe due to the high spls...and i have never not even once came anywhere close to clipping. And they only thing i did with the setup is take it out of the boxes and plug everything in.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
I just seem to recall with my sometimes..umm..smoky memory  that when the mod is used you can handle the high spls like with the phantom -but- you lose some gain i think it was.

The loss in gain is when compared against the two wire plug-in power mod as offered by Sound Professionals, which does offer higher sensitvity (and lower SPL handling) than all the other options mentioned.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
The debating is insane....the most fool-proof,simplest,way to run the 853s is with a phantom power setup. Modifying the mics so they "work" some less expensive alternative way seems to me...well...just plain silly.          unless i am incorrect..the mod will not make them perform -and this is key...exactly !- like a phantom setup. Right?

Actually my mod is as good as a phantom setup but much smaller. Now we cant compair a Neve preamp to my $250 preamp. But I can say that the performance very good for its size. I was not trying to sell anything to anyone. I was simply saying that when you do MY mod to these mics they perform as well as any phantom system but you now have alot less shit to carry around and you now have the advantage of going directly into an edriol R09 with out any other gear being required for loud shows. For moderately loud shows a preamp maybe recommended.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
The debating is insane....the most fool-proof,simplest,way to run the 853s is with a phantom power setup. Modifying the mics so they "work" some less expensive alternative way seems to me...well...just plain silly.          unless i am incorrect..the mod will not make them perform -and this is key...exactly !- like a phantom setup. Right?

Actually this is wrong, as has been stated multiple times the capsule sees the same thing with direct wiring to a 3 wire battery box or with phantom ADAPTERS taking phantom power and converting it into the same thing the capsules see with direct 3 wire power.  The capsules NEVER see phantom power, if they did, they'd fry.  The 4.7K mod is different, but offers the same performance.

And phantom power is not the simplest way to actually run in the field.  Much simpler in the field to simply plug 4.7K modded mics directly into a suitable preamp or even the mic in of suitable devices, rather than futz around with the bulky adapters and a phantom supply.

Edit:  I suppose an argument for the phantom ADAPTER route is that it keeps the mics stock as provided by AT, and therefore this could help with warranty issues etc.  The same would be true of 3 wire power through mini XLRs though, as long as you keep the long stock wires.

This is also why I make a 3 wire 9100 with my mod built in and defeatable. So you can run three wire connectors get two wire levels +12db hotter or use my mod -12db less and get good distortion performance + 23db of gain with the flick of a switch. * again I am not trying to sell anything here.

Chris

Offline jobseek2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 01:48:47 AM »
BTW: can anybody explain (technically) how the mod makes the distortion less?
If the mic membrane is still moving the same, the issue must be with the FET and the currents through it.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
BTW: can anybody explain (technically) how the mod makes the distortion less?
If the mic membrane is still moving the same, the issue must be with the FET and the currents through it.

It is the fet. Not the diaphragm. But diaphragm distortion does exist. You understand my mod it is about the current.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com