Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable burn in?  (Read 38928 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Cable burn in?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »
Good thing mine are not as confirmed by my audiologist. And by wearing ear plugs when I was just teching a sound system and not mixing. But I guess there are stereotypes no mater where you go.

I am amazed how many people make negative comments towards me when all I am asking for is a fair trial but no one seems to be able to set it up :(

Chris Church

I find that *most* who have been in the music/audio industry for twenty+ years have ears that are shot..   ymmv

My 46 year old ears are shot from loud music. I have ringing in my ears constantly. I started ruining my ears when I was four-years-old (my parents tell me) putting nickels into the Juke box and putting my ears to the speakers. I worked in a machine shop that did further damage. At that time I had some custom ear plugs made that probably saved even further damage. I find it difficult to listen to really load music for any length of time anymore. All that said, I still work in audio and trust my ears as that is all I have. I have never been able to hear changes in cables after they are broken in. I'm with Chris on this one. I'm willing to be proved wrong.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »
Somebody reads to much stereophile......I stopped reading that rag years ago....entertaining, but to much high priced voodoo.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 11:08:09 PM »
i can attest to the fact that the atlas quadstar cables that chris s sent me to try sounded different to my humble ears compared to the canares i run on a daily basis, chris shepard is a standup guy and anyone who says different is an idiot...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2006, 12:37:06 AM »
Hi this is a stupid question I know but why not just unplug on cable after the recording is made and then plug the other one in and record that cable that way you can’t say that capacitance was a factor by using a splitter? Let me know if that was a dumb ass question ok :)

Chris Church

on my shit speakers source 2 sounds best
followed by 1 and then 3
so if i understand right, source 2 would have both burned in on l/r
1 would have 1 burnt in one not
3 would have both not burnt it

Hey thanks for taking the time to listen, but I don't think you understand how the test was set up.

These are 3 different stereo sources, each made with 2 cables, 1 on one channel and 1 on the other channel.  One cable is burned in, the other is not.  On 2 of the 3 sources, the burned in cable is on one channel and on 1 of the 3 sources, the burned-in cable is on the other channel.  The goal is to pick which recording has the cables on different channels with respect to the other 2.

Unfortunately, people are responding more to the fact that these are 3 different sources, so that is unfairly biasing the results.  Please try again when I post 3 recordings of the same source and try to pick which 2 of the 3 are recorded with the same cable.  Extra credit for identifying whether those 2 recordings were made with the burned-in cable or the new cable.

Right now, I'm having a hard time finding my two identical splitters so that all signal paths will be identical, except for the choice of cable connected to the recorder.  I don't want two different types of splitters involved too.
OK, then let's decide on what should be used for the source.  Suggestions anyone?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »
As for my knowledge well let’s just say I have been doing "audio" for 20 years and in that time worked with some of the most advanced audio gear on the planet.

so why not mention names?

RebelRebel

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »
Chris is just a cynic(like myself and others). That in and of itself is not a crime. He is a good man.  He even started using puncutation, give him a break.  :P

Quote from: Crabcake
chris s sent me to try sounded different to my humble ears compared to the canares i run on a daily basis, chris shepard is a standup guy and anyone who says different is an idiot...

Noone has said any different, so what is your point exactly?? .

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »
I would say CD player into recorder via "magic cables" keep the signal path simple what do you think?

Chris Church

How about we use a 24 bit source?  Does anyone know of something on the Archive that would make good use of the whole audio spectrum and would be listenable to a wide range of people?  Maybe one of Skalinder's recordings?  Maybe one of Wayne Brissette's? Teddy, maybe one of yours?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2006, 12:18:39 PM »
Chris is just a cynic(like myself and others). That in and of itself is not a crime. He is a good man.  He even started using puncutation, give him a break.  :P

never said anything  bad about him myself

i made a comment regarding the fact that i could tell the difference between my cheap canares and some higher end cables, much like many have in this thread. Thats my point. A better question might be what was the point of your question???

RebelRebel

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
chris shepard is a standup guy and anyone who says different is an idiot

so you didnt say the above?? and does that comment imply that someone insulted him personally?

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »
chris shepard is a standup guy and anyone who says different is an idiot

so you didnt say the above?? and does that comment imply that someone insulted him personally?

Of course i said that but since you didnt make clear what part of the quote you were referring to i chose to respond to the part you should of left out of the quote. A reasonable person could take some of chris c's comments as insulting towards chris s. In no way does it imply that someone insulted him personally, no where in that statement did I say that.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2006, 01:26:19 PM »

never said anything  bad about him myself

i made a comment regarding the fact that i could tell the difference between my cheap canares and some higher end cables, much like many have in this thread. Thats my point. A better question might be what was the point of your question???

To me, this is an entirely different matter than the issue that is the topic of this thread, which is cable burn-in.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

RebelRebel

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2006, 03:12:31 PM »
I will gladly submit something.Im in MD right now for an audition, but I will hook you up on Monday when I return.

I would say CD player into recorder via "magic cables" keep the signal path simple what do you think?

Chris Church

How about we use a 24 bit source?  Does anyone know of something on the Archive that would make good use of the whole audio spectrum and would be listenable to a wide range of people?  Maybe one of Skalinder's recordings?  Maybe one of Wayne Brissette's? Teddy, maybe one of yours?

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »
I will gladly submit something.Im in MD right now for an audition, but I will hook you up on Monday when I return.

Chris Church

OK, all I need is a good, clean, 5 to 10 second clip that makes good use of the entire audio spectrum and is something that most people will enjoy hearing.  I'd need to have it on DVD-A or at least I need to have a file that I can burn to DVD-A.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
if you want to use my lack of proper English against me go right ahead

I guess thats the way it goes when you lose an argument you need to find some fault in me don't you?

edit, in an attempt to resemble the english language.

Sorry to go off topic in this thread, but Chris, seriously, you need to stop reacting so quickly and maybe read things twice before you post.  Mike's note indicates that he edited the English in his post.  It was not a slur against you. 

The previous post about hearing was an objective statement with clear disclaimers that the statement may not apply to you.  It was not intended by the poster as a slur against you.

Even with all the enthusiastic exchanges, no one else has been personally offended by anything you have said and no one has made any offensive statement toward you. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »
what are your thoughts on current bunching and the skin effect?

I keep my feet soft by applying moisturizer to them every night. So, I would say that moisturizer definately has a skin effect...

...sorry Moke... I just had too...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com