Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Building Mini XLR patch cables  (Read 6804 times)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Building Mini XLR patch cables
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
I'm building myself a set of 15' Mini XLR cables to run my AT933/AT8531 setup while keeping the AT8531s in the bag (instead of velcroed to the stand or to something else). I ordered four Switchcraft mini XLRs which seem to be of decent quality, but aren't super-bomber or anything, and 30' of Mini Starquad.
First problem was the cable I got didn't fit through the the part of the connector you thread on the cable and screw on to the barrel (is that the ferrule?). Luckily that was pretty easily solved by trimming and drilling them out a little, which was scary with new expensive connectors.
Next, my first solder job on these was a little sloppy. No shorts, but it was bulkier then it needed to be, and I had stripped off too much insulation. While I was trying to cram it into it's barrel, I broke off one of the pieces of metal you solder to. D'oh!
So I was more careful with the other three, and stripped them a little shorter, but now I have one more female connector on the way from Markertek to complete the project. Hopefully I can get that on without any additional breakage (and shipping charges).

Anyway, I thought I'd just post this info in case anyone else is trying to do the same thing. Be careful with those contacts and don't be afraid to drill to get bigger cable stock through. Oh, and get a fine tip for your soldering iron!
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Building Mini XLR patch cables
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
Whenever I work with new connectors (or most any new component) I buy extras, in case something bad happens. +T for the do-it-yourself cables.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
yup.  those little contacts in the miniXLRs are *tiny*, and will not accept wire any larger than around 22awg.  Bigger than that and its difficult..very difficult.

another thing to ponder when working w/these is that the plastic WILL MELT, if you heat the pins too long.  then its basically shot from there.  so you have to be quick w/the iron and solder.

for any DIYer, hacker, wanna-be..etc etc etc, I can't recommend this enough:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-HELPING-SOLDER/dp/B0001ZYH4O

you can find them anywhere.  Mardens, RadioSHACK and fine junk-store type establishments around the country.

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 05:11:37 PM »
Yeah, thanks. I have a helping hand and it definitely lives up to it's name for this stuff!
I was just not careful enough on the first one and should have re-soldered instead of trying to cram it in. Lesson leaned!

Here's what they look like:

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:32:09 PM »
that bottom picture looks like you have them resting on your scrotum or something
yuk!

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
that bottom picture looks like you have them resting on your scrotum or something
yuk!

Ha ha! No, I had my pants on and I've got a lighter complexion than that.
It's a concrete floor.

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »
yuk!

At least it's a close shave.   8)
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »
FWIW, I just had my first experience with mini-XLRs and everything was going OK with the little wires...not great not bad and at times frustrating...until I set up as follows, after which everything fell into place like clockwork.

First when stripping the tiny wires, only strip the tiniest bit from the end of each wire because if you strip...say...1/8 inch or more you will have problems with shorts since everythings so tight inside that tiny little connector body.  1/16 inch at most and even less if possible.  All you need is enough wire to make an electrical connection...I'm gonna say even 1/64 inch is enough.

I set the soldering iron up so that it was sitting on the clip that holds it up off the table.  I positioned the iron so that the tip was facing towards me.  I then took the solder and melted just a smidgen on the very tip of the iron...it only takes a tiny bit...too much (for example, enough to make a droplet is way too much) and you'll have a solder bridge between the posts. 

Then I took two alligator clips and grabbed the mini-XLR connector in one of them (from the end opposite the posts) and the wire in the other.  For the clip that grabs the wire, grab it really close to the end, like maybe 1/16 or 1/8 inch from the end so you can bend the wire and position the end of the wire precisely and with a little 'authority'.

I found that installing the wire on the middle post was the most difficult, so I did that one first.  It's also the most important to get this wire installed cleanly because if it comes off the post cockeyed or if there is lots of extra solder there can be a bigger chance of shorts between this wire/post and the outter posts.

Grabbing both alligator clips, position the wire onto the post and then touch both to the very tip of soldering iron.  You only need to touch them to the tip for at most five seconds...just enough for joint to heat up and for the solder that you melted onto the tip previously to flow from the tip of the iron onto the joint.  Move the clips away from the heat for a few seconds.  It only takes the solder a few seconds to cool and solidify.  Pull a little on the alligator clips to verify that there is a solid connection between the wire and the post. 

The entire process from moving the wire to the tip of the iron to testing that the connection is solid takes about 10-15 seconds if you do it right.

Once I started using the clips, the job went like clockwork and my precision improved dramatically.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:45:49 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »
yuk!

Ha ha! No, I had my pants on and I've got a lighter complexion than that.
It's a concrete floor.

Thank God for that... :)

One little trick that I do when soldering these little buggers is.. I use a male panel mount connector in a vise. The panel mount connector acts as a heat sink preventing the plastic from melting. And fingers from burning :) I have a little dremel vise for this stuff.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Roving Sign

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:27 PM »
I used one of those 1/8 stereo > 1/8 stereo cords that come with say a LCD monitor with speakers - (as well as lots of other computer stuff) as a poormans source of small two conductor shielded cable - 26AWG? - Can I get by with this?...it seems to work ok - - - at least it fit in the mini-xlr...

Also did the same thing with a computery 1/8 stereo > L/R RCA - cut off the ends and re-terminated with mini-XLRs...(CO94 setup)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
I used one of those 1/8 stereo > 1/8 stereo cords that come with say a LCD monitor with speakers - (as well as lots of other computer stuff) as a poormans source of small two conductor shielded cable - 26AWG? - Can I get by with this?...it seems to work ok - - - at least it fit in the mini-xlr...

Also did the same thing with a computery 1/8 stereo > L/R RCA - cut off the ends and re-terminated with mini-XLRs...(CO94 setup)

I saw the cable I am sure it will work fine.. In the good old days I used cable like that..
And it worked just fine.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 10:46:27 PM »
yuk!

NICK?!?!?!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:43 AM »
what?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »
yuk!

NICK?!?!?!

Nicks just jealous his floor is not as clean as Matt's :)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
well...after the deluge of this week, and the 2000odd gallons of water in my basement...my workshop floor is freakin' SPOTLESS!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com