Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nakamichi MX-100 mixer to FR2-LE  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Lonman

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Aiko NY
Nakamichi MX-100 mixer to FR2-LE
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
Best option for going from MX-100 (dual rca'a) into FR2-LE? Should I use dual rca to TRS into the fostex or does it have to be rca>TS?
I know that using the TRS or TS that I will bypass the pre-amp and not have trim options. Can I use dual rca's to to dual XLRs into the fostex like I would normally do using microphones? I have one mx-100 with microphone level/line level switches on the inputs so I would think that means the signal exiting mixer will be a mic level signal. Comments on best approach aside from changing the outputs of the mx-100 which I would like to do with a 2nd mx-100 I have. In fact would consider sending a mixer to someone on the board who can modify the outputs for a resonable cost.
I thought I read hear that TS into mixer and TRS out is best but cannot find that post now. Also I know the 1/4 inputs on the fostex is unbalanced line level and wasn't sure if they had to be TS or could I use the TRS cables I have?
Thanks I did try and figure this out by searching and reading the old team nak boards but am dense...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nakamichi MX-100 mixer to FR2-LE
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
The output of the MX100 is unbalanced line level out, not mic level. Not familiar at all with the Fostex, but you will want to use whatever cable/input is for unbalanced line in to the recorder. 
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
RCA > TS is the best bet - sounds like the LE will treat this as a unbalanced line input. Perfect.

I might pick a unity gain setting on the LE and run the levels from the MX-100...the MX100 more or less takes over the function of the trim control.

For such a close connection, I cant see any reason to force something else.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:40:48 AM by runonce »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:32:59 AM »
RCA>Mono 1/4 is how I ran my MX100 (and still run my V2) into my Fostex...

Lonman....If you use the XLR's you will get the mic pre/trim section engaged...I think of it as the Mic Pre/Trim Switch for the FR2LE where: XLR=ON 1/4=OFF

I wasted money on a set of Ted's Sweet XLR jumpers when I got the V2...it was unusable as the V2 is HOT on the XLR and clipped the Fostex Mic Pre pretty quickly...eh I just use the Jumper when I run Mic's directly into the Fostex w/o the V2

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Lonman

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Aiko NY
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
Thanks. It is clear to me now it is  best to run rca > TS > fr2-le close to unity and adjust with MX100. Line in will skip the pre and no worries. Funny, I did the same thing....have a pair of Teds outstanding beautiful cables locking rca's to TRS and can't use them. He is very happy to redo cables but he may be running out of patience with me at this point! I appreciate your help and I have it straight now!!!! Finally!
Lon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com