Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Send Back Tascam DR70?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
Send Back Tascam DR70?
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »
I got a new Tascam DR70 and a DR40 as a back-up. Now I'm reading about all these problems with the DR70 in that huge multi-part thread. Should I send it back and get something else? I am total noob that doesn't need anything fancy, but I do want it to work. Thanks!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Send Back Tascam DR70?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
I got a new Tascam DR70 and a DR40 as a back-up. Now I'm reading about all these problems with the DR70 in that huge multi-part thread. Should I send it back and get something else? I am total noob that doesn't need anything fancy, but I do want it to work. Thanks!

Short answer: Keep your DR-70D.  You're fine.

Long answer:

Those problems you are reading about were mainly due to (1) users using cards that were not on the approved list, and/or (2) some bugs in earlier firmware versions.  It really got quite ugly when a Tascam rep came on here to speak with us, and a few members did not like what he had to say. 

In any case, all of the recent firmware versions run without a hitch, and if you use a card that has been tested as good from the list, you will have no problems.

Here is my DR-70D FAQ that you may find helpful.  I no longer maintain this, as I have sold my unit some time ago.  It provided me with years of reliable service, though.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
Update the firmware, and make sure to use a good card on the official Approved Media list. DR70D is a machine I count on.
 :coolguy:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:28:42 AM »
Thanks, ya'll. I picked up a 32gb and a 64gb on the approved list (slim pickings)! It gets here on Friday. I'm gonna tape even if I have to wear a damn mask to the show!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:30:02 AM »

After updating firmware, I will also suggest practicing navigating the menus. They are not totally obvious at first, but just be aware of what you might need to change, and give yourself a bit of experience changing it. For instance, Line/mic/Phantom power on, track arming, and be sure your record mode is as many bits and samples per second as you like.
Others:
Set the date and time... check how you like the files named, I go by date.
Also... I trust the limiter. I try not to slam it, but I'm glad it's there.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com