Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 32Bit Float recording - The Technical view  (Read 24055 times)

carpa and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 32Bit Float recording - The Technical view
« Reply #120 on: Yesterday at 12:04:32 PM »
I have not read all of the above, but as someone who has been taping since 1971, I love the 32 bit world we have entered. Why? Because I have made great recordings. I have had no issues at all. The biggest difference is that I do not have to occasionally spend a inordinate amount of time leveling the first 10 or 20 seconds of a recording because it is too hot or too low. I have a few decks and do not at all mind going 24 bit when one of those makes sense, but using the same gear I have used for years, 32 bit is my choice. For me, how the end result sounds is what matters most. That said, I respect and admire all the dialog dissecting the respective differences in how we approach our passion.

exactly.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 12:10:58 PM »
I skimmed the Sound Devices 2016 patent for 32 bit (most of which is way above me) and note that it does describe 3 and 2 converter layouts, but noting it could be any number. I did not recognize any comment about the converter handoffs and noise control, but that could be me. I note that other manufacturers have to avoid infringing on their patent, so maybe SD understands the issue better and has the secret sauce in their patent. It would be nice to know if SD uses multiple converters in 24 bit mode, I haven't heard any issues and have not done much 32 bit.

On the clutch, I just prefer manuals as more fun. Today's automatics get better gas numbers and track lap times, but on the street that's not everything for me. I like road and machine feel, although most Americans apparently prefer automatics. I also don't use the phone while driving, even hands-free (legal requirement here).

As to the anti-theft aspect, I had an Integra manual for many years with a Club steering lock that was stolen 3 times, the last time driven 100 miles away and totaled. Integras were theft targets, so the thieves certainly were not stopped by a clutch or Club.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: Yesterday at 12:14:05 PM »
I have not read all of the above, but as someone who has been taping since 1971, I love the 32 bit world we have entered. Why? Because I have made great recordings. I have had no issues at all. The biggest difference is that I do not have to occasionally spend a inordinate amount of time leveling the first 10 or 20 seconds of a recording because it is too hot or too low. I have a few decks and do not at all mind going 24 bit when one of those makes sense, but using the same gear I have used for years, 32 bit is my choice. For me, how the end result sounds is what matters most. That said, I respect and admire all the dialog dissecting the respective differences in how we approach our passion.

exactly.

Ditto, from a guy who started taping in 1972.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com