Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable recording setup recommendations?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Funky D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Portable recording setup recommendations?
« on: August 23, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

I found this site doing some google usenet searching.  Never knew there was such a huge community out there when it came to taping!  I'm not much of a taper, but I figured you cats would be able to help out with my question.

I need a portable recording setup to do some sampling.  I'll be recording everything from rain hitting a window to banging on pots and pans... stuff that will end up heavily edited and looped and layered into my music.  I need 48V phantom power...  I'll probably be doing most of the recording with a KM184 condenser.  Mostly mono, although I may want to do some stereo work as well.  And if I can get it all for around a grand, I'd be a happy camper :)

I've looked at some of the larger units (PDM-660,  HD-P2), but I question the built-in preamps.  If I'm going to get a seperate preamp, I'm guessing the microtrack or P-09 would be more cost-effective, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to portable preamps.

Just wondering if anyone else is using this type of setup and if you could point me in the right direction...

Thanks!

Paul

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Portable recording setup recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:22:12 PM »
welcome!

for an accurate recommendation, more information is needed..
what bitrate are you interested in working in?  CD 1644? or do you need DVD? are you planning doing far field ambient (ie taping shows) recording?

also..  If you are mostly concerned with recording *just* sounds as you described, the preamps in the m660 or any of the new CF recorders should be sufficient (pmd670,660,671,tas hpd2)..  but it will matter if you need 24bits as to what model of the aforementioned you end up buying..  if you solely need 16bit, Id say go with the marantz 660.  It provides preamps good enough for the work you will be doing and provides 48v for plug and play with your km184.

the two pennies gathering lint in my pocket...

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »
Welcome! You might want to try "SEARCH" because there's a wealth of info that's already been written in these forums -- more info than you'll ever get in just this single thread.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Funky D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies :)  I work in 24/44...  I'd be willing to upsample from 16 to 24 bit...  I've read a few comments on the cheaper 24 bit units being pretty noisy, but I'm not sure if this applies when you use a seperate preamp.  Not planning on taping any shows, other than band practice for our own reference.  I may use the unit to record drums or guitars for loops, however.

I did do a bit of searching, but the wealth of material here makes it hard to narrow down on what you're looking for :)  What are some popular portable preamps that people use with units like the microtrack or p-09?  Actually, I just remembered that FMR makes the "really nice preamp", which is nice and small, but then I also realized I'd need to plug it into the wall!

Paul

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:45:30 PM »
get an acm 660
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Funky D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 04:26:41 PM »
Well, I've done a bit more searching and have a more specific question...  How would an R-09 connected to external pre such as the SD MixPre compare to a unit such as the HD-P2 using the internal pre?  Similar performance?  Would the R-09 combo sound better because of the external pre?  Would the P2 sound better because of (I'm assuming) better converters and a balanced connection?

Thanks again for taking the time to read my newbie questions :)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
Well, I've done a bit more searching and have a more specific question...  How would an R-09 connected to external pre such as the SD MixPre compare to a unit such as the HD-P2 using the internal pre?  Similar performance?  Would the R-09 combo sound better because of the external pre?  Would the P2 sound better because of (I'm assuming) better converters and a balanced connection?

Thanks again for taking the time to read my newbie questions :)

Review (in progress) of the R-09 at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm

Some already use R-09 for recording FX and ambient sounds with field mic + external preamplifier.

Look about a third down the page for Rolling Thunder #2 recording made with noted mic-preamp-R-09 system at: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Mike R.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »

The ACM PMD 660 is a great machine, but it might not have the gain necessary for some of the things Mr. Funky wants to record.  In his case for ambient sound recordings, the Basic Mod from Oade might be a better choice.  I have the advanced mod 660, its gain is pretty good for all around general use, but it's not great for really soft sounds.  Doug reports the Basic mod unit has a bit more gain.

just a thought...

AE5100
AT3032  --> MixPre-3ii
M-88TG

Offline Funky D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »
Thanks again for all the help everyone...  I decided to go with the R-09 and MixPre.  Picked them up on Friday and played around a bit this weekend.  So far, so good :)  Ordering a 2 gig card today so I can start having some real fun!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com