Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hard disk recording worrys  (Read 2775 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Hard disk recording worrys
« on: March 21, 2004, 12:18:29 AM »
I know that hard drives are delicate instuments, and to subject one to vibration risks writing/reading errors. I had a minidisc unit which died, and I am not sure if it was due to the constant vibration of sound, or what caused that, but I am curious about the possible effects this may have on hard disk recorders in the long run. Yeah, you can sit farther away, but then you'd need to amp the signal a bit to compensate and you have distance and other factors affecting your recording. Hence why I favor being 8-12 rows from the stacks when I tape.

This is partially why I asked about solid state recorders, since this is a moot point then. This is also the last fear of switching to a JB3 or other moving part based system. Thank you for all comments/questions/theories on the subject.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
Re:Hard disk recording worrys
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 12:31:08 AM »

My JB3's PRIMARY JOB, is sitting on the gas tank of my motorcycle (actually the reason I bought it, recording was an afterthought).  It's been running fine, and hasn't picked up any bad sectors (that I know of), in over 2 years.  Most of the laptop style smaller hard disks were designed with excessive vibrations in mind, and are a little more tolerant of being jiggled around.

The microdrives however, don't seem to be as tolerant.  Lot of complaints on the photo boards of SDDDS (sudden disc drive death syndrome) and when they go, they're usually gone for good.

Minidiscs use removable magnetic media, and the transpost mechanisms really aren't much better then a floppy disk, or zip drive when you come down to it.

If the JB3 can handle road trips on the Harley (vibration city), then loud concerts shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Hope this makes sense...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:03:13 AM »

My JB3's PRIMARY JOB, is sitting on the gas tank of my motorcycle (actually the reason I bought it, recording was an afterthought).  It's been running fine, and hasn't picked up any bad sectors (that I know of), in over 2 years.  Most of the laptop style smaller hard disks were designed with excessive vibrations in mind, and are a little more tolerant of being jiggled around.

If the JB3 can handle road trips on the Harley (vibration city), then loud concerts shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Yeah, it does actually. Thanks. I'd considered CF cards instead of microdrives as I knew the microdrives had issues, but it seems rather apparnt which, for my budget and application, works much better.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 02:19:04 AM »

Yeah, it does actually. Thanks. I'd considered CF cards instead of microdrives as I knew the microdrives had issues, but it seems rather apparnt which, for my budget and application, works much better.

-- Page

CF capacities are really getting up there.  Lexar has an 8GB out now (haven't priced it, but the 4GB is $1,400 retail - I'm afraid to ask about the 8GB).  The digital camera industry is driving CF more than the music, or even the computer industry.  It's gonna be a year or 2 before the high capacity stuff drops to a more reasonable price.

The JB3 is still a pretty good bet at this point.  Lots of people here are getting good results from them.  Another "lost resource" though, as Creative doesn't seem to pay attention to it's "recording marketability" as much as it should.  If they'd make it 96/24 compatible, alot of DAT tapers would LEAP on it.  I prefer it for the convenience, and not having to deal with the magnetic media of DAT.  

I stopped lugging the DAT to shows a few months ago.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

BobW

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 10:03:11 PM »
Don't worry, be happy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com