Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R9 8gig SD issues and Edriol support  (Read 1443 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
R9 8gig SD issues and Edriol support
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »
Hey all... Looks like the new R9 firmware update had some nice improvements (meters, shut the damn red let off, variable split, etc.) but did not fix the 8gig+ card issue.  I continued my 8gig support ticket with them and so far their support has been top notch.  While the issue is not fixed, I've got a few emails and even phone calls with the support/engineers that are looking at the issue that had questions for me and how I use the R9.

Just from my limited insight it seems like Edirol is really looking into this issue.   If you have an R9 enter a support request so they are aware that this is effecting more then a few people.  That should probably help getting a fix in the next update. The reps I've talked to on the phone have made it seem like not too many tickets have been reported over this issue.

For those that don't have a 8 gig card the issue is that after the first recording split files are split every 2k.  Before you record you can put a big dummy file on the large card and then the splits work fine until the SDHC fills up.

So... if you have an R9 enter a support request.... The more they have the more they will put effort into fixing it.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: R9 8gig SD issues and Edriol support
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:06:58 AM »
I'm thinking until the 8 GIG fault problem is solved, only those recording small <2 GIG files should use 8 GIG cards, period. 

It's disastrous if unintentionally exceeding 2 GIGs and quickly getting a locked up card and/or deck with the usual 256 small 1-2K size files.  Likely impractical to erase these hundreds, but it takes time to erase enough one at a time to continue using the card?  Otherwise only speedy in-deck card reformat choice (MY personal favorite), but then losing  first 2-GIG file if without computer to transfer.  Of course we all keep a second flash card ready as backup, so we lose some recording time, but are quickly back recording in what might seem an eternity.

Bottom line is this is NOT something most want happening while recording a gig as it's a potential show stopper that's avoidable.

JUST HOW SMART IS IT TO HAVE A 2 GIG DUMMY FILE???
At this time, there is very little advantage (~7.54GIG user available), with the first 2 GIG taken up with a 'dummy file' leaves ONLY 5.5 GIG user capacity! 

Suggest settling for two 4 GIG cards (7 GIG combined capacity), and feel more SECURE knowing spanning works flawlessly even with older 1.10 R09 firmware.   
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com