Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Painting capsules?  (Read 3007 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Painting capsules?
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:31 AM »
I have some capsules that I would like to paint or color in some other way.  Anyone have any ideas on a good (and safe) way to do this?  They aren't terrible as is, so if I am risking the caps, I will just leave it alone.  But I would prefer to paint them if possible...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Painting capsules?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »
just get yourself a can of paint and drop em in :P

honestly, I have no idea but I would be VERY careful. The diaphragms themselves are thin and sensitive. Also the vents on the caps affect the polar pattern, if you clog up those holes/vents you will change the pattern of the cap.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »
just get yourself a can of paint and drop em in :P

honestly, I have no idea but I would be VERY careful. The diaphragms themselves are thin and sensitive. Also the vents on the caps affect the polar pattern, if you clog up those holes/vents you will change the pattern of the cap.

Just drop em in, eh?  That's what I was thinking! ;D

I am worried about it; that's why I posted here.  I figure there must be someone on the site that has some experience with painting, or at least touching up, some capsules.  I wouldn't even know what type of paint to consider...

As for the polar pattern, they are omnis, so at least I don't have to worry about that!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
Unless you can disassemble the mic and get the capsule out of the housing, I personally wouldn't attempt painting them.  You may also really affect their resale value.

What mics are you talking about, and why the desire to paint them?  Just curious, but maybe you could get other suggestions on what to do to meet your needs without going the route of painting them.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »
I'm going to paint smiley faces on the front of my next pair of ck2 caps.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »

i have never and possibly may never use the pair i got from you. you want 'em back?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

i have never and possibly may never use the pair i got from you. you want 'em back?

actually, yes.  i even mentioned it to Trey today that if you guys ever sold them I'd like them back.  He said no problem, but he wasn't in charge.   :P
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:34:36 PM »

swap that stock 671 for a stock r44 and you will put them to plenty of use  >:D

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »
Don't do it.  Any solvent based paint/ink I would keep clear away from the cap.  Diaphrams are usually made of mylar, a plastic which would be sensitive to solvent based paints.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »
What mics are you talking about, and why the desire to paint them?  Just curious, but maybe you could get other suggestions on what to do to meet your needs without going the route of painting them.

They are a pair of beater AKG's (not even sure of model) that I bought really inexpensively at a market.  I don't even have the proper cables to run them at the moment, but I took them to a local sound shop and they let me set them up to see if they even worked.  And they sound pretty good.  But they look ragged...

Don't do it.  Any solvent based paint/ink I would keep clear away from the cap.  Diaphrams are usually made of mylar, a plastic which would be sensitive to solvent based paints.

And this is one of the things I was worried about...

But I might give it a whirl on the bodies and see how it works.  I only have twenty-five euro in the pair...I sent a mail to a couple of mic manufacturers to ask what types of paint they use.  I'll wait and see if I get any reponses.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com