Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA-14 mounting solutions???  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Jerry Gash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
CA-14 mounting solutions???
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:16:06 AM »
So I just ordered a pair of CA-14's a couple weeks ago and am wondering how I should mount these little things.  I ordered them with clips so I just have to clip them to something.  I was just wondering what everyone else was using.  Another question I had was, should I be mounting them crossing each other at 45 degrees similar to the way my Zoom H4N mics are mounted?

Sorry for the newb questions, you guys rock!

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: CA-14 mounting solutions???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
If you're open taping, go ahead and put them up on a stand and get them over people's heads so you won't be picking up background talking and stuff like that.  Otherwise, you could clip them to the bill of a baseball hat.  If you're shy and don't want the mics to broadcast that you're recording, you could clip them on the underside of your shirt collar.

If these are CA-14 cardioids and you have control of the configuration, then you might want to try and put them in either DIN, DINa, or ORTF configuration.  For DINa, spread the mics apart by 17cm with an incident angle of 90 degrees.  For DIN, same except the split is 20cm.  For ORTF, the split is 17cm, but the incident angle is 110 degrees.  These configurations provide generally accepted configurations for getting good stereo imaging between the two mics.  Remember, mics are not like flashlights...you don't just point them...they work in tanden with each other.

More generalities...ORTF is great for capturing the ambience of a show, but it better outdoors because the extra coincident angle picks up greater reverb indoors.  I've never personnally heard much difference between DIN and DINa, but you should try your mics in both and see if you hear a difference.  The idea behind 17/20cm is that's the space between most people's ears and you're trying to simulate that same delay between the two mics in order to approximate how you heard it when it was live. 

Finally, if your mics are CA-14 omni's, then spread them apart by 3 feet or more...since they're omni's they're not as sensitive to the direction they're pointed, but I generally will try to have them both pointed in the same direction either straight up, straight at the stage or straight out.

EDIT TO ADD:  In the live venue, it might not seem like much, but the difference between having your mics near the top of your head and on your shirt collar can sometimes mean the difference between a good and a crappy sounding recording.  The more sound gets muffled by having the mics down under peoples heads, the worse it sounds because you no longer are recording direct sound waves from the speakers, but sound that has been reflected off of varying things.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:51:49 PM by tonedeaf »

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »
 SP-GNA-2 T- mount from sound professionals would work great for open taping! 

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »
with the screens (only way you can have them!), they will fit perfectly inside of any 20mm mic mount
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
Can someone please provide a link to the Sound Professional T bar that will fit with the CA-14 mics? I am not sure which one is it on their site... Thank you in advance.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
This is one where the mics clip on at the end if you have clips on your CA-14's:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-2

This is the one I have and use:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3

The wind screens popout and then the CA-14's w/o clips fit snug inside.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Thanks Belexes for the link. The mic stand you use looks really nice but I have the build in clips so that won't be an option...

Did you add the optional shock mounts for $35? Do you think it is worth paying the extra $ for those? I did not understand how it connects exactly to the SP-GNA-2 mount... Can you also tell me what is the connection at the bottom of the shock mount because it is not visible in the images on the SP site.

Thanks again

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
I don't have the shockmount add on.  The GNA-2 is the one that will work with your clips or hack the clips off and use the GNA-3.

You need something like this to insert into the bottom of the mount so it'll attach to a light stand:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/286147-REG/AKG_KM217_3_8_Female_to_5_8_.html
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
T hanks again Belexes. Can you tell me how exactly the thread adapter connects to the light stand and to the mic mount? Does the 3/8 female thread connects to the mic mount or to the light stand?

Can you also tell me how and where do you place the rest of your equipment (recorder and preamp)? Do you place them on the floor next to the mic stand or do you somehow connect them to the stand itself?

Do you stand next to your equipment during the concert or do you go and join the crowd after you have started the recording?

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »
Can you also tell me how and where do you place the rest of your equipment (recorder and preamp)? Do you place them on the floor next to the mic stand or do you somehow connect them to the stand itself?

Probably not a good idea to leave your gear on the floor unprotected... I would recommend throwing them in a camera bag or small backpack at least to keep them safe from wooks and their shoes, beer, etc.

Do you stand next to your equipment during the concert or do you go and join the crowd after you have started the recording?

I wouldn't leave your rig unattended if you're by yourself at a show.  That's just asking for a disaster to happen.  You need at least one blocker.  8)

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
Thanks su6oxone. I guess it is better to stay next to my equipment. I should take my mom to shows from now so I could leave her next to my equipment while I am going next to the stage...

Can you tell me if a female to male stereo extension cord that will connect my mics (which are mounted on the light stand) to my preamp (which is on the floor) will it add some noise to the recording? I was looking at this SP cable as an option:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSC-8

Can someone tell me about the thread sizes on the SP GNA-2 mount and the light stand?

Thanks in advance

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
preamp (which is on the floor) will it add some noise to the recording? I was looking at this SP cable as an option:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSC-8

Can someone tell me about the thread sizes on the SP GNA-2 mount and the light stand?

Thanks in advance

1. This is exactly the way I record and I have never heard any noise introduced in my recording. just make sure the connections are snug so they won't have a chance to fall out.

2. I think its 5/8" so you need a thread reducer to mount to a light pole. tons on posts on the site.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com