Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Onstage Stand Reccomendations?  (Read 5870 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Onstage Stand Reccomendations?
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
SSIA.  I've been really liking the advantages of running onstage but my 1' DIY stand out of a 5 dollar walmart lamp isn't totally cutting it.  Am wondering what real stands people are using.

TIA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: Onstage Stand Reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
I've been using the Manfrotto 012B Backlight Stand for the past few years and it's been a champ.  Minimum height is about 20" but you can easily clamp mics further down the bar if you need to, and it extends to about 3' if you require more height.  The three adjustable feet on the base stay pretty low to the ground, too.  Been ideal for my on-stage needs.

They also make an adjustable extension pole (Manfrotto 099B) that you can either plug directly into the base with a stud or attach to the top of the shorter pole.  I've hung a few pairs of mics off it running up around 8.5' and, while it's far from wook-proof, I've never been worried that it's going to take a digger.  Securing it with some gaffers tape or superclamps goes a long way, too.

FWIW, Impact makes their own, less expensive version that's completely interchangeable and almost identical to the Manfrotto model.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:47 PM »
I use one of these, small footprint, easy to toss up on stage, be warned, the foot is about 6 lbs, I've clamped a Shure VP-88 and 2 more sets of neumanns on it and it's stood up to it without falling over. Might be better options out there but this'll get things started:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-MS7920B

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
I've been using the Manfrotto 012B Backlight Stand

Same here.  Works great.  The telescopic arm is a good height, but can be a bit tall for some things.  I have a DIY vert bar I can plug into the folding base instead of the telescopic part when I need to keep it lower.  I also recently drilled and taped holes at the end of each leg that I can screw threaded studs into and attach clips for spaced mics.

A fellow taper uses a weighted base (round, cast iron) with the Sure vertbar screwed into it.  That combination about as small, low, and clean as you can get for running standard mics.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »
The manfrotto 012B and MS7920B get my votes. If you don't like either of those, then I'd consider a large clamp (superclamp-ish) and something like the manfrotto 396AB and clamp to a rail or monitor hook. Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider pairing the MS7920B & and a clamp/arm setup. That way you can pick either or when you get there and see what sort of environment you're dealing with.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
The manfrotto 012B and MS7920B get my votes. If you don't like either of those, then I'd consider a large clamp (superclamp-ish) and something like the manfrotto 396AB and clamp to a rail or monitor hook. Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider pairing the MS7920B & and a clamp/arm setup. That way you can pick either or when you get there and see what sort of environment you're dealing with.

^^ This, and what Johnny said.  It's useful to have both a heavy clamp and an actual little stand because you may not know in advance what type of stage setup you're dealing with.

And yes, the Impact products, while slightly worse in build quality, are very, very close, and cost about 50% as much.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »
I bought something like this mic stand to use for onstage, which is nice because it's very low profile and the base weighs a ton and consequently is very sturdy.  Sadly, I never got the chance to make an onstage recording.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-MC7201B-Round-Microphone-Stand/dp/B0002MJTZ8/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Those cheap stage stands are great to mod.  Especially if you can get them on sale.  I do prefer the stability of a weighted base for on-stage use, though I don't like to carry it.

I like the idea of drilling holes in the legs.  With the leg models, you can also easily cut the legs and pole shorter (or replace the pole altogether).  Though you usually can't cut the weighted base poles shorter due to the threads.  Those cheap extension arms have saved me before.  Some performers are rightfully very picky about clean sightlines; even if their stage is otherwise already cluttered.

It's also nice to have the option of rigging really low.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
I do like the low profile weighted base style (I'm using a really cheap version at the moment).  The MS7920B is looking like a pretty nice place to start.

Thanks all for the advice, but obviously if there's any more it's always welcome.   :coolguy:

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
I bought something like this mic stand to use for onstage, which is nice because it's very low profile and the base weighs a ton and consequently is very sturdy.  Sadly, I never got the chance to make an onstage recording.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-MC7201B-Round-Microphone-Stand/dp/B0002MJTZ8/ref=pd_cp_MI_3
^^^
That's the style of base (without the upright) that the fellow taper screws the Sure vert bar directly into.

The Manfroto 012B telescopic upright and presumably it's Impact equivalent, can attach to a superclamp (or the less costly Adorama equivalent  of the superclamp) instead of the three legged foot, which opens up options for ceiling, table, light-bar or balcony clamping as well, like Page mentions.

The three legged foot on mine came with a threaded hole at the end of one of the legs.  That's what gave me the idea of drilling and tapping the other two as well.  I just used that feature on-stage last week for a second rig with ADK TLs in their supermount shocks at the ends of the two longer legs, which gave me a 24" spacing between capsules, and placed them as low to the stage as possible.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
On-Stage Stands is also a company name...

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/home/browse/grp/GRP000020

Not the best quality stands but you may find they offer one to suit your needs.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-DS7200B-LIST

Cast iron base not too heavy, but deals well with the shure vert bar and a pair of SDC.  Small, short profile, sturdy....

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
for onstage I use a standard boom mic stand with the boom removed and I clamp to the upright section.  I have a pair like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283533-REG/Atlas_Sound_TEB_E_TEB_E_Microphone_Stand.html  A lot of the smaller low profile stands aren't high enough for my needs and although I love my little bogen FOB stand I don't like the profile of the legs.  The atlas stand (and a lot of others that are exactly the same design) has a very low profile foot print and is sturdy enough to hold a pair of big LDs without swaying.  When running split on stage, they blend in well with the house gear. They are very inexpensive new and you can usually find them used for very cheap. Also are heavy and make a nice statement when you have to walk back to your car in a sketchy neighborhood ;-)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
there are lots of them on ebay. I personally use a lightweight one that goes up to 42"  for $25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Background-Backlight-Light-Stand-Dual-Stud-New-RF2055-/190569971860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5edb0094

there a some that are smaller and go for as little at $13. here is a link to all of them:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=backlight+stand&_sacat=0&_odkw=42%22+backlight+stand&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com