Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advices needed for SP-CMC-4U "saturation" problem  (Read 15742 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Advices needed for SP-CMC-4U "saturation" problem
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
Yeah that's bullshit that's its not more apparent
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline achtungpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
But I will say this: if this hobby is for you, one day soon you will look back in amazement that you ever worried about spending this sort of money - it will seem like small change  :o

And if you do feel otherwise, you'll be able to make back the vast majority of what you've spent by selling your gear on this site.

I see what you mean, but I'm between both . I love to tape , and if possible to tape good, what I attend . But I " only" attend 6/8 shows per year so ....

Offline achtungpop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Actually not that easy to do. I also adjust the values for the capsules :) And I test the mics for distortion before and after the mod and adjust values based on each capsule / and expected operating voltage to maximize output and minimize distortion.
And Even I cant get the mod to be reliable inside a 3.5 mm plug and I am the one that came up with it. Thats why I only do that mod to the capsule. Unless its a countryman mic where that is impossible.

There's an electronic shop not very far to me . But what should I ask them exactly ? I mean if they never made this I have to be very accurate in the description of what they have to make ! and except the diagram I have not lots of informations, how do you check all this values then ? when you tell you test the mics for distortion before and after , etc ... ??? can they do that too ?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »
Actually not that easy to do. I also adjust the values for the capsules :) And I test the mics for distortion before and after the mod and adjust values based on each capsule / and expected operating voltage to maximize output and minimize distortion.
And Even I cant get the mod to be reliable inside a 3.5 mm plug and I am the one that came up with it. Thats why I only do that mod to the capsule. Unless its a countryman mic where that is impossible.

There's an electronic shop not very far to me . But what should I ask them exactly ? I mean if they never made this I have to be very accurate in the description of what they have to make ! and except the diagram I have not lots of informations, how do you check all this values then ? when you tell you test the mics for distortion before and after , etc ... ??? can they do that too ?

I would go ahead and give them the schematics, ask them to do it, and then test the mics in a non-critical situation afterwards. Find a local band at a bar or club to tape, or just crank up your stereo and stick the mics right next to the speakers. If it sounds OK, then things should be fine. What Chris does is awesome, he goes the extra step to make sure the mics are balanced and performing well with extensive testing, but if the mod is done well by someone else, with the proper resistors, then that testing isn't needed. I had my B3s modded by someone without the testing equipment, and it worked out great. PM tgakidis or darktrain, ask them which connector and resistors they use, and have that information ready when you go to the shop. It's really not a huge deal and should only cost you 20-30 Euros or so.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline achtungpop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
I've read somewhere that my problem "could" be solved or at least be less important with a 12V bbox .
Ok my question will maybe seem stupid but ... what if I put the "plug in power" on  on my recorder, and the 9V bbox ... could it make an addition of both powers ? or would it destroy the mics ?? thanx

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
I've read somewhere that my problem "could" be solved or at least be less important with a 12V bbox .
Ok my question will maybe seem stupid but ... what if I put the "plug in power" on  on my recorder, and the 9V bbox ... could it make an addition of both powers ? or would it destroy the mics ?? thanx

No, don't do that. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »

Its not only voltage thats the problem.. Putting 12 volts on that mic is not going to reduce distortion very much when its wired 2 wire only my mod will help.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline achtungpop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »
Actually I've taped the same band approximatly in the same conditions ( same position, but not the same venue so the sound was of course different ) and I've set up the bass roll off to the minimum of bass . And the miracle happened, I've not this saturation anymore . But of course I've a cruel lack of bass ! Anyway I guess I can set a few more bass but not the maximum . So no need to fix this anymore . YES !! lol

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
I just want to add this, after some trial and error years ago , i came up with a way to put them in the plug that is reliable and i dont have to "cram" em in there and they are secure and have had no issues. For a long time people would ask me to do this and i declined until i was confident in its dependability.  Part of that is using a little bigger plug(switchcraft). I wouldn't do it if I thought it wasn't reliable and I stand behind all the sets I have modded if they ever do need a repair. I guess I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I love Chris Church's products & innovations, but for people that want to have switchable caps for their 853's it seems far more economical and less hassle to have the mod in the plug. Then you don't need to mod each set of caps that you buy.

Perhaps when Chris said the mod is best done by him, he was really saying it should not be done by Sound Pro's and was not addressing the abilities of skilled cable makers on this board like darktrain.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
I just want to add this, after some trial and error years ago , i came up with a way to put them in the plug that is reliable and i dont have to "cram" em in there and they are secure and have had no issues. For a long time people would ask me to do this and i declined until i was confident in its dependability.  Part of that is using a little bigger plug(switchcraft). I wouldn't do it if I thought it wasn't reliable and I stand behind all the sets I have modded if they ever do need a repair. I guess I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I love Chris Church's products & innovations, but for people that want to have switchable caps for their 853's it seems far more economical and less hassle to have the mod in the plug. Then you don't need to mod each set of caps that you buy.

Perhaps when Chris said the mod is best done by him, he was really saying it should not be done by Sound Pro's and was not addressing the abilities of skilled cable makers on this board like darktrain.

I am not going to go into details about what exactly I do with my mod, but I will tell you its much more than simply adding a resistor.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »
Out of curiosity of the 4.7k mod needing to be in the miniplug or capsule doesn't church build a preamp with a switch for 4.7 k how does that work and maybe thats an option for original poster.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
Out of curiosity of the 4.7k mod needing to be in the miniplug or capsule doesn't church build a preamp with a switch for 4.7 k how does that work and maybe thats an option for original poster.
i do and that requires 3 wire termination via 3 pin mini xlr

Offline achtungpop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
Hi

does anyone know how it's possible to unscrew the capsules in the sp-cmc-4u to access to the cables please ? thanx in advance ...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
These mics need to be wired three wire or be modified to handle high spl you can put 12 volts on these mics hell you can put a million volts on this mic it will not change the overload issue. I offer two solutions a mod * you send me your mics * $50 + Return shipping. I recable the mics and do a few other mods to this mic that I am not sharing publicly. Or you can buy my ca-9200 three wire preamp and have me reterminate your mics with mini xlr connectors. This is the more expensive option but the most flexible. I also offer a new 3 wire battery box option that allows you to turn the mod on and off and provides proper power. All options require you to send me your mics. NO adapter can be made to work with 3.5 mm that will reduce the distortion issues you are having.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »

Also, if you ever want to switch to using phantom adapters, the mod isn't necessary, so *not* doing it in the mic body seems to make more sense.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com