Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO stealth options under $500 recomendations  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
ISO stealth options under $500 recomendations
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:43:39 PM »
I am in the market for a stealth setup; i'm hoping to have the ability to

- run interchangeable caps (card, hyper, omni at least, sub would be great if possible )

- run into a battery box for uberstealth, or into a 48v pre if i so desire

- run undetected in most situations, i.e. croakie or lapel mount clips, but also be able to mount on a tbar for open situations

i would like to keep this under 500 if possible.....any suggestions ?

The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: ISO stealth options under $500 recomendations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:50:11 PM »

- run interchangeable caps (card, hyper, omni at least, sub would be great if possible )

- run undetected in most situations, i.e. croakie or lapel mount clips, but also be able to mount on a tbar for open situations

I would go for AT943 (SP-CMC-8 I think), and a series of interchangeable caps later on, but cardioid to start.  You can get adapters to the bigger (AT853) caps later too.  Buy the adapters now though, at $5 each, you can't go wrong, and you'll be able to put the bigger caps on if you need them.

Ask Chris at Soundpro to do the "phantom power mod" for you for an additional $80 I think.  This gives you 3-wire (miniXLR), standard 2-wire (miniplug), and phantom (XLR) capability.  Really versatile.

Then get a three wire battery box.  Chris (at SP) *may* be able to do this.  If not, ask Chris Church (if he's still around), or if all else fails, ask me :).

The above should cost you, maybe $240 for the mics, $80 for the phantom mod, and maybe $80 for the battery box.  Oops, that is up to $400.

Then spend about $200 for a minidisc.  Yes, minidisc!  This will give you a serviceable mic preamp, and line in (with some analog gain) for loud shows.  Also, if you get an external ADC later on, you can run optical in to the thing too.  Best prices at www.minidisc-canada.com.  Watch for clearance on some models.  *Any* HiMD model is great.  Oh yeah, Soundprofessionals has a nice new MD + Sony 7506 phones for $300.  If you want the phones this is a good deal, as they are normally about $100.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 11:55:55 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:51:17 PM »

there is really only one choice in that price range... AT853 (or AT943)
and yes, they are awesome  8)
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
+t to both of you gents, i like concurring second opinions :)

and no minidisc for me (yet), i've still got a d7/jb3 and i'm almost certain at this point that i will be adding a microtracker, not so much for my ears, but i've now been in a few situations where i could have patched into a better (by which  i mean CLOSER TO THE SOUND SOURCE) rig, but only 24/96 patches were available....seems like that's the way the wind is blowing, so i shall bend to it....which is also why i'm getting away from open taping, especially with the TLs

thanks again, i shall start researching these options STAT

john
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:43:55 AM »
PM sent with 3 wire BB offer.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »
I would go for AT943 (SP-CMC-8 I think), and a series of interchangeable caps

I run 933's with the adapter and 853 caps but was thinking during a stealth job two weeks ago that the 853 caps (while very small) were a bit obtrusive in my croakies. does anyone have experience with the smaller 933 or 943 caps? how do they sound compared to the 853's? I have the p48 mod and use it exclusively with these mics, if that helps. thanks!
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
  • >:D Ninja
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 04:55:46 AM »
Ask Chris at Soundpro to do the "phantom power mod" for you for an additional $80 I think.  This gives you 3-wire (miniXLR), standard 2-wire (miniplug), and phantom (XLR) capability.  Really versatile.
Which option is this on their site?
- Add Phantom powers adapters (SAM-PM4) and locking connectors [Add $ 78]
- Add Phantom power adapter kit (see details) [Add $ 120]

Looking at the description I think that it is the second one, isn't it?

If I go for that option, it means that I can plug the mics on a 3 wires battery box (with bass roll off?) and (if I buy one later) directly on a A>D Converter/preamp that will then be the power source?
Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 AT853 (c/h/o) > Church Audio CA-9100 > Zoom F1
Stock UA-5

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 07:18:24 AM »

If I go for that option, it means that I can plug the mics on a 3 wires battery box (with bass roll off?) and (if I buy one later) directly on a A>D Converter/preamp that will then be the power source?

taken from:  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-8

Option 3: Add 2 - Samson PM4 phantom power adapters and locking mini XLR plugs. This will allow you to use the mics with 9-52v Phantom power which is available on many professional mixers, mic preamps and recorders. When powered with Phantom power, the dynamic range and maximum SPL (sound pressure level) are increased even further (see specs below).

Option 4: Add the Phantom power adapter kit. This will allow you to use the mics with "plug in power", a battery module (as in option 1) or with 9-52v Phantom power which is available on many professional mixers, mic preamps and recorders. When powered with Phantom power, the dynamic range and maximum SPL (sound pressure level) are increased even further (see specs below). The phantom power kit includes two phantom power adapters (Samson PM-4) and two high quality gold plated cable adapters as shown in the picture below.

I'd go with the bottom option if you want to have options of running either the battery box or phantom.  If you'll be stricly running phantom, go with the top.  Or just have Chris hardwire the adapters to the cables if he has those types of adapters.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:23:32 AM »

Oops.  Either I was mistaken or the options/costs have changed.

Option#3 ($78) is miniXLR+ phantom adapters.  Powerable by phantom, or a 3-wire battery box.
Option #4 ($120) is the most flexible, you can use above, or a standard (2-wire) battery box too.

I don't understand your question aobut ADC/power source though.  Can you be more specific?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com