Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak cm300 active mod?  (Read 14960 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Nak cm300 active mod?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
I bet there are some transitor buffers in the vented piece? That makes it pretty slick, to be able to screw the capsules onto that piece. Is the reason most guys have to use the Samson phantom power adaptors because of the type of connector (mini-XLR) that is used in the active cable itself.  I assume the Samson unit just steps the 48v down to 9v and has the matching connector which makes everything nice and neat?

The vented place has one transistor only (the FET).  The body has a resistor and a transformer (I think).  Anyway, get rid of the body, and treat the vented part as "electret plus FET", the same as any other mic (AT853, DPA406x, etc).

The reason for the AT or Samson adapter is just to run on phantom voltage.  If you want battery power, skip the adapter and run directly as I said above...

Richard

I would think that the venting in the vented piece imparts some acoustical properties? I can see how a guy could make his own brand of microphones using the Primo caps and a simple battery box circuit. What Chris Church is doing with those mic elements he uses. Like you said Richard, you could make a little pre-amp type circuit (you mentioned transformer based) and run them line in. Hmmm... now the Nak300's are finally de-mystiffied for me... Thanks for the excellent exchange of information here, today, guys.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »
I snapped these pictures earlier before the thread kinda took off, so this is probably beating a dead horse, but I might as well post them anyways.

You begin with this, a stock nak cm300:

The microphone can be broken up into three parts, the cap, the attenuator barrel, and the battery body housing:

The active modification turns this microphone into this, basically:

By the way, the cp4 shotgun capsule is screwed directly into the battery body, skipping the atenuator housing altogether:

the shotgun:

And finally, only a part of my Nakamichi sluttage (my other mics are in my car, not around right now):

:)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:12:09 PM by Patrick »
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 11:06:21 AM »
Nice bag! How sturdy is it?  Do you ever use it in the field?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:49 PM »

Never!  It's pretty sturdy, the zipper is kinda finicky (sp?) so I don't really use it in the field, or use it for much, actually.  Right now it's storing my extra RCA cables, shockmounts, old mini disc deck, and a bunch of other random electronic stuff.  It's just really cool to have, I think!

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »

Never!  It's pretty sturdy, the zipper is kinda finicky (sp?) so I don't really use it in the field, or use it for much, actually.  Right now it's storing my extra RCA cables, shockmounts, old mini disc deck, and a bunch of other random electronic stuff.  It's just really cool to have, I think!

Is the bag form-fitted for the black mic boxes?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 01:08:20 PM »

That's what I am thinking...the black box (for the trio of cm300's) fits perfectly in there. 

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »

That's what I am thinking...the black box (for the trio of cm300's) fits perfectly in there. 
[/quote

Yep, the blue bag came with Nak 300 triple set. If you bought them new ofcourse. I think it held the cables, since the cables did not come in the black box.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »
Chicks dig the bag.  :)
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com