Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 67287 times)

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 03:41:23 PM »
from the page today for the non-us version:

32-bit Float Mono / 24-bit (Mono/Stereo)

https://deitymic.com/products/pr-2/
yeah i dont think that page has been updated since well before the spec change was announced last month. i cant think of a reason they would lock out 32-bit stereo recording in the US

note that the box that Psinka has also says "32-bit float recording: mono/stereo" right on the box

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #211 on: Yesterday at 04:19:29 PM »
Be aware that it can to be somewhat more of a challenge to split a single stereo pair across two recorders than it is to record two separate sources that will be mixed together to separate recorders.  At least some stereo pairs where maintaining tight phase correlation between the two channels is more critical, such as a coincident pair.  Should be less of an issue with a wide-spaced pair.

Yea I wondered about the lack of precision when lining up independent sources in post. Does it affect critical time arrival differences? I'm sure it does. [snip..]

Somewhat.  I think the issue will be if the error in precision falls within our perceptual tolerance for error.  When aligning the two channels of a coincident pair and you zoom in, the peaks of both channels will/should always align, whereas with a split pair it's easy to see the time offset of peaks arriving from sources that are off-center.  Sometimes you just need to split the difference when aligning a split pair with SBD.  Additionally, perfect alignment is somewhat less critical when aligning two separate stereo sources, than when aligning the two channels of a single stereo pair. 

On that last point but even more OT, there is a technique proposed maybe 20 years ago for mixing in spot mics with a main mic pair, which might be applicable to mixing in SBD with AUD, since a SBD feed acts essentially as a "collective spot mics" stem.  It seeks to better preserve the imaging and depth cues of the main/AUD pair by delaying the spot/SBD signal by a few different randomized  milliseconds or factions of, and pans those slightly delayed signals around to random static locations so they act like early reflections.  The main pair/AUD source then retains unmolested first arrival status preserving its image cues, with the pseudo early reflections provide clarity and "direct-soundiness".  Never tried that, but its an interesting approach modeled on the behavior of real world direct/early/late arrival acoustics.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #212 on: Today at 01:54:17 AM »
Yeah, a little spec confusion going around...

Psinka - can you verify if your version can record in 32 bit stereo?

I already test these: when you select 32bit channels goes to mono and no way to select stereo with 32bits.
32 bits accessible for mono only. Stereo can be recorded with 24bit only 🤷‍♂️

Dealbreaker.  Tascam DR-2D I use already does that. 

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #213 on: Today at 02:24:34 AM »
…and then some (4ch)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com