Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Klipsch RF-5 or B&W DM604 S3???  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Klipsch RF-5 or B&W DM604 S3???
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:11:31 AM »
I've been poking around different stores looking for a set of 2 channel speakers that I actually thought were worth the money and I really did like how the Klipsch RF-35 sounded for the price.  The dealer had them marked at $900 and they actually did sound referance quality accurate, which I wasn't expecting from any HUGE manufacturer boasting referance quality.  I'm not really sure what kind of processing was running in front of them but it just LOOKED like a surround reciever, nothing else.  All of the other speakers in that prince range that I've demo'd have sounded sub par to my ears.  The Bose towers in the same class actually sounded like complete mud and sludge and were peaky as shit...don't know why anything Bose is so highly regarded because they never really sound good (every decent bar has huge bose systems that SUCK).  So I guess I'm just asking if my ears were decieving me or are the Klipsch RF-35 actually a referance class set of towers that are capable of some decent SPL?  Anything else I should be trying to demo?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:56:18 PM by Evil Taper »
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Klipsch RF-35 actually as accurate as they seem?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
Hmm, in the $900 price range I'd also check out Paradigm, B&W, Infinity (models w/ CMMD drivers), Polk audio, JM lab, JosephAudio, Magnepan, Martin Logan just to name a few. Lots of choices at this price point.

I think only by comparing lots of speakers will you get a handle on how "accurate" any given one is, relative to one another.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
I think my klipsch heresy IIs are very accurate.  Klipsch has their big box line, and higher quality stuff too. 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:49:45 PM »
There's some good deals on B&W towers on ebay but there's no dealer anywhere near me to actually hear what they sound like.  I'd like to give the Klipsch RF-5 a listen if i can find a store with some in house.  I really can't afford anything over $1500 but there seems to be alot of options up to that prince point.  If I could I'd get the VR4s but $3500 is just way too much for me to spend on some speakers this year.  I'm looking at TVs around that price range so I have to at least kind of budget some cash.  I know that once I start school again in September I'm not going to be able to afford dick so I'm trying to get hooked up pretty solid now.  I like nice things, what can I say. :P

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 12:03:41 AM »
I have a pair of Klipsch KLF-10s and they are not bad at all. There are better of course, but paired with the 3000es, they sound very decent. They also made a KLF20 and KLF30 which sound better as you go up. You can only get them used now but I have seen KLF10s and 20s on ebay and Agon for as low as $350/pair in good shape - might be a decent holdover till you can swing the VR4s...
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
one word: deftech! :)

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »
There's some good deals on B&W towers on ebay but there's no dealer anywhere near me to actually hear what they sound like.  I'd like to give the Klipsch RF-5 a listen if i can find a store with some in house.  I really can't afford anything over $1500 but there seems to be alot of options up to that prince point.  If I could I'd get the VR4s but $3500 is just way too much for me to spend on some speakers this year.  I'm looking at TVs around that price range so I have to at least kind of budget some cash.  I know that once I start school again in September I'm not going to be able to afford dick so I'm trying to get hooked up pretty solid now.  I like nice things, what can I say. :P

You can get a great speaker for $1000-1500. I have been an audiogon addict lately, here are some decent speakers from a variety of manufacturers in your price range.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149372371

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149481712

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149458519

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149592376

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149570073

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149570072

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1148582518

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1149486798

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »

You are looking for a $3500 TV??  I would advise against that since any TV would be outdated in a year or so, while speakers will hold their value much better.  I bought a pair of VR-2s off eBay about a year and a half ago without hearing the Von Schweikert line and have been very, very happy with them.  There were too many great reviews for me to not give them a try.  Not sure what TV you are looking at, but Costco has the Vizio 50" plasma for $2300.  At that price point, nothing can come close to beating it  ;)

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
I've been poking around different stores looking for a set of 2 channel speakers that I actually thought were worth the money and I really did like how the Klipsch RF-35 sounded for the price.  The dealer had them marked at $900 and they actually did sound referance quality accurate, which I wasn't expecting from any HUGE manufacturer boasting referance quality.  I'm not really sure what kind of processing was running in front of them but it just LOOKED like a surround reciever, nothing else.  All of the other speakers in that prince range that I've demo'd have sounded sub par to my ears.  The Bose towers in the same class actually sounded like complete mud and sludge and were peaky as shit...don't know why anything Bose is so highly regarded because they never really sound good (every decent bar has huge bose systems that SUCK).  So I guess I'm just asking if my ears were decieving me or are the Klipsch RF-35 actually a referance class set of towers that are capable of some decent SPL?  Anything else I should be trying to demo?
Bose has been living on their name for quite some time now.  The bose 501-901's were good loudspeakers but not because they were particularily acurate or because they had great soundstage.  What they were designed for was an extended sweetspot.  With a pair of 901's setup properly in a room you can get good image from almost anywhere in the room.  That is why they are still popular in bars.  From the actual sweetspot they are pretty sub-par compared to most decent loudspeakers.  The 901's also had an included eq that made them sound like something, and without it they sounded like ass.

My .02

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »

I have always liked Klipsch because they have very good high end they always have and always will they use a horn loaded tweeter in most if not all of the products they make, there are very few companies that can pull this off. I have seen many try and many fail like JBL. But Klipsch make a good product some might find it bright only because they tend to have a much more directional and controlled high freq pattern I find that they are easy to place in a room because of that. I also love energy REF 2 speakers if you can find a pair they are one of the best sounding speakers I have heard in a long time. But I dont think you can go wrong with what your looking at. Just remember always bring a cd with music you know and trust to any listing session. And make sure all the processing is off like eq ect. Many times these guys in stereo shops have hidden eq's that they don't talk about.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 09:16:44 PM »
I demo'd the B&W DM603 today and I think they sound better than the RF-35 did.  They told me to go to their competitor and listen to the RF-5 though because I might like those better for live music.  The B&W dealers couldn't help but tell me how bright the Klipsch gear is over and over, but they sell Klipsch in their store too so I think they were actually trying to be helpful.  I was definately impressed by the DM603s though.  Absolutely pure and silky smooth sound, no hint of color.  The processing was simple too, just a Denon DVD deck and a Denon surround reciever, no EQ or DAC or anything else.  I'm saying fuck the TV for now, the stereo is where the money needs to go.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 09:24:17 PM »
I demo'd the B&W DM603 today and I think they sound better than the RF-35 did.  They told me to go to their competitor and listen to the RF-5 though because I might like those better for live music.  The B&W dealers couldn't help but tell me how bright the Klipsch gear is over and over, but they sell Klipsch in their store too so I think they were actually trying to be helpful.  I was definately impressed by the DM603s though.  Absolutely pure and silky smooth sound, no hint of color.  The processing was simple too, just a Denon DVD deck and a Denon surround reciever, no EQ or DAC or anything else.  I'm saying fuck the TV for now, the stereo is where the money needs to go.

get the b&w's and dont look back. i did.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:46:25 PM »
The B&W dealers couldn't help but tell me how bright the Klipsch gear is over and over, but they sell Klipsch in their store too so I think they were actually trying to be helpful.

My heresy II's were very bright when I had them toed in a bit.   However, they sound nice and crisp w/ no toe in.

I'm saying fuck the TV for now, the stereo is where the money needs to go.

duh?    ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 11:52:12 PM »
so where do i go to get the DM604 S3 for a reasonable price?  retail is right around $1500 so i'm guessing that's about what i'll have to end up paying new.  i want to go with the 604 because I do like my bass and they should kick out a fatter low end.  i can only imagine how much cash this shit is going to eat in the next year.  going to need a new amp and all that good stuff too.  how randy!  seriously though, where do i get the hookup?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
Re: Klipsch RF-5 or B&W DM604 S3???
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 02:51:08 PM »
IMHO: best shot to save some $$ is probably scoring some used gear from audiogon or ebay.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 11:00:14 PM »
there is a pair of RF-5 on agon for $750 and a pair of DM604 S3 for $975.  Gonna go with the B&Ws very shortly :D

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:25 PM »
there is a pair of RF-5 on agon for $750 and a pair of DM604 S3 for $975.  Gonna go with the B&Ws very shortly :D

the b&w's will not dissapoint.  :)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
I absolutely LOVE my Klipsch KLF-20's...  Got em new for $800 a few years ago, maybe 5?, and have never wanted anything more.  These are big beefy speakers vs the more recent slim and streamlined type.  2x10's, mid horn, horn tweeter, 90lbs each.   Sensitivity=100db.  Handles 200W RMS.    Klipsch stopped making them in 2001.  I've seen em go for pretty cheap on eBay.  @ 90lb each, shipping is an issue.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=11&s=specs

/Ken
retired

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com