Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Non-Zoom streaming options?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Non-Zoom streaming options?
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
So, I work at a university, and all our graduate classes are being held online. For the physiology department, they wanted a better setup than just a prof in their office. The reasoning was, student pay $35k to be in this program, so they should get a better product for their money. fair enough.

They ended up buying a couple of 4k cameras, studio lighting a switching gear. Right now, we stream to Zoom using the Group HD option which theoretically offers hi-def streaming, but it still doesn't look so good, so we're looking at different platforms that will look better. We've looked at both You Tube and Twitch, but they don't offer the interactivity that Zoom does, particularly screen sharing, since all the profs use Power Point, Google Slides or something similar.

Does anyone know of a streaming platform that might fill our needs better than Zoom?
Our needs include:
1080p streaming
Chat
Screen sharing (though that might be fudge-able)

This is an example of what our recordings look like using Zoom:
https://echo360.org/media/eb5a6bf9-35ee-4a0f-b0ba-7b9eba5d7444/public

The recording quality is fine; we're looking for a better streaming option.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:10:43 AM by splumer »
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Non-Zoom streaming options?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Cisco Webex, Adobe Connect, Microsoft teams
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »

The last company I worked for used Cisco Webex for all District or Regional web meetings. It has all the functionality you need for classroom environments.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
Both Cisco Webex and Google Meet seem to be good for group meetings. 
I believe they both utilize screen sharing capabilities.
Google Meet has Chat function.  Not sure if Webex does or not
Not sure of video quality on either, but they both seem good IMO.  Meet might be better quality??.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:27:24 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »
Both Cisco Webex and Google Meet seem to be good for group meetings. 
I believe they both utilize screen sharing capabilities.
Google Meet has Chat function.  Not sure if Webex does or not
Not sure of video quality on either, but they both seem good IMO.  Meet might be better quality??.

Google Meet is pretty awful.  I am a public school music teacher, and this is the platform I have been forced to use this year.  Terrible latency, will not allow streaming of desktop audio (unless you have an audio interface with Loopback Mix like I do), sharing a YouTube video with Present a Tab stutters and echoes in utter failure so I cannot even play examples for my students.  It also has very minimal meeting security features compared to the other options.  This is not just me either; my entire department of over 40 music teachers is experiencing the same thing.  It is a daily exercise in frustration.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kliked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »
https://corp.kaltura.com/

I made a push to get this implemented in my organization but the people with the money just decided to stay with zoom.  This looks very slick.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 06:23:50 PM »
At our University, we use 'Canvas' as our online teaching platform.  Our prior online platform was 'Blackboard'.  Having Canvas in place allowed us to move all 50,000 students to 100% remote learning in just 3 days back in March.  And we hit all our pre-covid enrollment projections for Summer and Fall too.

That said, I recommend your school(s) look into a more sophisticated tech infrastructure for your students.  It's worth the investment.
My 2 cents.

https://www.instructure.com/canvas/

https://www.blackboard.com/teaching-learning/learning-management/blackboard-learn

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
Get OBX Studio and you can set up the screen the way you want, for your platform. So you can have multiple cameras or content (PPT) on the screen, and you then send that to your preferred platform (YouTube, Twitch, etc.)

Free.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
Get OBX Studio and you can set up the screen the way you want, for your platform. So you can have multiple cameras or content (PPT) on the screen, and you then send that to your preferred platform (YouTube, Twitch, etc.)

Free.

A friend and I were going to try OBS Studio last week, but we didn't have enough experience with it, so we d/l'd a 60 day free copy of vMix.  Sent it out to FB, Youtube and Twitch, went well.

Future plans are for OBX, though.  We like Free.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com