Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: splitting tracks with audacity  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Dharma_bum07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
splitting tracks with audacity
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »
I've used Audacity to record off of vinyl & split up the tracks, but this situation is much different. I just recorded my first show. My question is, if I split up the original file into tracks, is it going to create all the files as "Track at once"? Or does that have more to do with your burning software?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: splitting tracks with audacity
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
I've used Audacity to record off of vinyl & split up the tracks, but this situation is much different. I just recorded my first show. My question is, if I split up the original file into tracks, is it going to create all the files as "Track at once"? Or does that have more to do with your burning software?

Track At Once has more to do with your burning software.

One thing to note is that you need to set your breaks to CDDA Frames (either with time or just frames) to avoid SBE (sector boundary errors) and turn on "Snap To" so your breaks will be created properly. Otherwise you may end up with pops between tracks when playing back on a stereo system. Some stereo equipment handles SBEs better then others, but it's still a good idea to avoid creating them when and where possible.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Dharma_bum07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »
Someone suggested using CD Wav to split the tracks. It worked great, but I'm not sure if it technically saved the files as wavs, because when I checked them in traders little helper, they seemed inconsistent:
http://esyurl.com/c2n
http://esyurl.com/c2o
http://esyurl.com/c2p

Is it possible that CD Wav didn't save them as wavs? I didn't see anything in the prefs that would change the output. I originally recorded to an SDHC chip.I pulled the big file over to my hard drive so I could split the show into tracks. Is wavelab a better app to use for this sort of thing? I don't want to add any effects to it, I simply want to split the tracks & save them  the way I recorded them at 48/24. I'm very much a novice at this. Any help is appreciated.

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
Weird...Have CDWAV open your file, put your track splits in. CDWAV will rename automatically those file splits and it will represent each different track by a different colour.  When you are ready to save, cdwav should open a dialog window where it asks you where you want the file to be saved, and whether or not you want any compression done to those files. SInce you are working with an undithered 24-bit/ 48 Khz show, you should check your parameters before saving. At first glance it looks as if what you saved is not the same as the original fileset.

Keep in mind too, that if you want to burn to cd you have to converrt that fileset to 16bit/44.1 kHz
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com