Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samplitude 10.2 release includes FLAC support  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Samplitude 10.2 release includes FLAC support
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
 ;D

FLAC format
Now you can use the FLAC format for lossless audio data compression of 16 and 24 bit files
FLAC is available for loading, exporting and recording: "File -> Load", "File -> Export" and "Record Parameter" (Shortcut: Shift + R ).

List of 10.2 new features
Download for registered users
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

Re: Samplitude 10.2 release includes FLAC support
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
Just opened some FLACs directly, did some work and exported to FLAC.  So nice to not have to decompress and recompress.  In my opinion, this was the primary feature Samp was missing previously.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:34:47 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
Are you sure that SAM works in native FLAC format and does not decompress on the fly?  I understood that playback and manipulaton is always an on-the-fly decompress/compress deal.  I did not know anyone could actually manipulate FLACs in their native state.  That is something if it is true.

The readme file states:

"2/04/2008 Samplitude 10.2

Filehandling / Import / Export
   -FLAC:
      -lossless audio data compression for 16 and 24 bit files
                -available natively for Loading/Export /Recording"

Maybe I can write the author and ask him.  I will.

Anyway, it is an additional arrow in the SAM quiver, for sure.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
I think it just converts internally to whatever form the working data usually takes but I could be wrong.  I haven't yet opened a big file that would take a few moments to decompress.  I'm just glad I don't have to go through the extra steps

Offline boojum

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
GB, for sure easier when you can edit it "as-is" in a superb editor.  I sent a note of to Coalson at HA just to find out.  I will let you know what he says.  I kind of doubt it can edit in the compressed form.  But it is always nice to know.  At least for folks like me who get obsessed with petty details.

I hope Santa came by with all the gear you asked for, and that hot new ride for your SO so she does not feel left out.   ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
Who's Coalson at HA?

No gear in the stocking. But I get a few days off to play around with this stuff, always a welcome gift.  Unfortunately one of my speakers crapped out yesterday.  Did you pick up those Mackie monitors? How are they working out for you? Best to you and your's..

Offline boojum

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
PM sent,  rather than bore the folks who read these forums in search of knowledge and enlightenment.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »
It does not work on FLAC directly. What SAM does is to decompress on the way in, process in 32bit and compress on the way out (if you select that). SAM generally does not change the original files in any way, a very good thing if you want to certain of not changing the originals.

Generally I keep the original files, do all processing and once totally finished I write to new files. This is a very different work flow compared to other programs that writes even small changes to the original files as default. Makes a lot of sense for taping people. Allows you to test fade-ins, EQ-s, compressing, whatever, tweaking parameters while listening to the result.

It currently does not seem to support several files in one FLAC library, and in the limited tests I have done I have not been able to includer markers.

// GUnnar

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
SAM generally does not change the original files in any way, a very good thing if you want to certain of not changing the originals.

Just to clarify for other readers, this is true (and a big reason I went with SAM) when working in Virtual Project mode.  However it is not the case when working in Wave Project mode which operates on the original file like a standard wave editor.

It currently does not seem to support several files in one FLAC library, and in the limited tests I have done I have not been able to includer markers.

I haven't gone that far yet, what do you mean by supporting several files in one FLAC library? & are those markers saved within the FLAC file itself as opposed to the virtual project?

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
SAM is the shit...love VIPs....recently DVD and now FLAC.....GO SAM!
 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all.
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
I haven't gone that far yet, what do you mean by supporting several files in one FLAC library?

Sorry for the confusion, this is what I meant is not supported (from official FLAC description here http://flac.sourceforge.net/features.html )

Convenient CD archiving: FLAC has a "cue sheet" metadata block for storing a CD table of contents and all track and index points. For instance, you can rip a CD to a single file, then import the CD's extracted cue sheet while encoding to yield a single file representation of the entire CD. If your original CD is damaged, the cue sheet can be exported later in order to burn an exact copy.

// Gunnar

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
I never knew you could do that.

Offline boojum

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
As GB and Gunnar have pointed out, FLAC is not edited in its native format.  This from Josh Coalson, the author:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=68269

libFLAC doesn't itself support editing of the samples (only metadata), so I would guess it is decompressing first.

FLAC has to be edited at the frame level so some number of samples must usually be decoded.
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com