Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USB tape deck quality  (Read 1346 times)

Offline richardbajor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
USB tape deck quality
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:36:18 AM »
I wondered if anyone had a view on the quality of the USB tape decks you can get at places like Amazon, Maplin etc.

I have over 1,000 live tapes I need converting. Currently I have a TEAC (W600R) tape deck (not top of the range but as far as I know a pretty decent deck) but this is in an adjoining room to the PC so I need long cables (again reasonably good quality) to connect up to my PC plus the hassle of setting up each time I want to record a tape onto the PC.

A USB tape deck would be a lot easier for me and possibly even help with sound quality as the lead would not be so long but I'm a bit worried that these type of decks are just aimed at the casual user and the sound quality may be poor.

I'm not looking for perfect sound transfer quality but I do want to know that if I buy one of these decks that the sound is not going to suffer horrendously so any views would be appreciated.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: USB tape deck quality
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
High end cassette decks on Ebay are not anywhere near as expensive as they once were. Also check Craigslist for a nice Nak or HK or something. My sister got a Grace Digital deck for Christmas and it is obviously not a quality deck. They just package the A/D with the deck to make you think you are getting something you actually need.

Put your money into a M-Audio 24/96 soundcard (about $100 on Ebay, also try yard sale on TS) and the best deck you can find off Craigslist in your budget. If you have 1000 tapes then it will be worth it.

For example, I pulled up an HK CD291 off Denver Craigslist in good condition for $35. This will be way better than any USB Cassette machine. 

If you stick with your current deck, be sure to clean the heads well and often, and learn how to adjust the azimuth (usually a small screwdriver to the set screw under the head. You may need to pull the door off, then turn the screw while listening to a recording until the highs are dialed in.)
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com