Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newsgroups  (Read 1354 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Newsgroups
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
Had a friend get a C&D letter for torrenting some television programs and movies.  I'm pretty much a legit Torrent kind of guy, but on occasion I like to catch something I missed on broadcast TV.  So now I'm wondering if it is not wise to investigate alternate methods of acquiring content.  Anyone out there using Newsgroups?  It seems to be the new (old) solution.  What about live stuff?  Anyone using any of the alt.binaries newsgroups for live music trading?  Seems like it would be in scope for most bands policies if they are not on LMA.  Any tips or recommendations?

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Newsgroups
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »
I use newsgroups daily, via an actual newsreader, but not for
collecting/downloading material.  I was just discussing the NG
distribution method with Nick yesterday.  Funny how these
conversations pop up.

No real contribution to your thread other than to mark it for
future reading.  Carry on.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
Anyone downloading content via BitTorrent on Windows should be using Peer Block.  It is the heir to Peer Guardian and is still free open source.    The defaults are perfect for 99.9% of its users.     

If you're making yourself a target might as well make it the smallest target possible.

http://www.peerblock.com/

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
i recieved 5 yes 5 DMCA takedown notices.  all my torrenting is now legal.  as for newsgroups..........I love them.  you odn't have port forwarding which really isn't a big deal.  the best thing is that you always get your full download speed.  when i accidentally left it on and opened my laptop at work i was pulling 5megabytes a second over the DS-3 connection.  you can get a subscription to astraweb for $11 a month.  they have great retention time too.  I don't get much music from there.  i find that the live releases are very slim pickings.  mostly dead dicks picks and whatnot.  it is fun looking through the lossless alt.binaries and finding things though.

on a related note.  if anyone is a member of newzbin and has an invite to spare it would be GREATLY appreciated.  I have been trying to get an invite for about 3 years now but don't know anyone who is a member.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:38:05 PM by crazifyngers »
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com