Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD-WAV and 24bit tracking  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
CD-WAV and 24bit tracking
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:56:19 AM »
please tell me i'm not the only one w/this problem.

I open a 24/96 file in CD-WAV 1.94.  no issues.
I track it out and save it...no issues
I try to open the tracked files in wavlab 4.0 to re-join some split tracks....and the software can't recognize the files.  Even though they are .wav files...recoginzed by Windows as such.
In fact, I can't open any of these files w/any software.

there is an option to save them as an "alternative 24bit file"...for which it does not give much of an explanation...but that doestn work either.

anyone?

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: CD-WAV and 24bit tracking
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 12:24:19 PM »
try saving them as flac then converting them back with frontend...just an idea. ive never had that problem, but i have had problems before i knew about the ability to save directly to flac where frontend didnt recognize the CDWave tracked waves. something to do with thier file nameing i believe.

on a side note related to this topic. i know CDWave tracks on sector bounds for 16/44.1 wavs, but if you track a 24-bit, save the cue sheet and then load it to track the 16/44.1 wav, will that also align on sector boundaries? i always track the 16's first and then use that que to cut the 24s but wondering if i could go the otherway as well.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »
I have used CDwav to track 24bit shows as well. It splits them just fine, but when I go to encode via FLAC Frontend it fails saying there is extra header info or something? I don't remember the exact problem as I have sworn off CDwav alltogether now. So, yes, I too have encountered strange errors when dealing with 24bit in CDwav.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »
not sure CDwave was ever intended to convert 24bit to 16 on a save out... it may work to split the tracks but it knows nothing about what you want to do with it after that.

Seems to me that it was designed to split large wav files on the sector boundarys so that error free CD burns could be made.  CD compatible wav format is 16bit @44.1.   Seems like Flac is your stumbling block, not CDwave.  ???  I notice in v1.9 that it will write your tracs directly to Flac as well as open Flac files.  That's nice.   :D  Also will save to OGG vorbis & MP3 (if you must).  I'm not sure if it will open these two formats but it does open Flac.

I could be wrong or have missed the point, however

i dont think theres any conversion to 16 goin on here... were merely discussing splits and file format saves...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 07:14:36 PM »
I get the unknown subchunk error with the FLAC encoder on any file I FLAC after creating it in Wave Lab 5.0. Weird thing is that it only happens once. If I convert that newly FLACed files back to wav, they sound fine, they burn fine, show nothing lost and if FLACed again don't give the subchunk error.

I was thinking the alternative 24 bit format would work, but I see it didn't
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 06:45:59 AM »
glad to hear its not just me.  I"ll go back to using wavlab.
anyone have 5.0 or later?  and want to set up a cheapskate such as myself?
:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com