Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S mixdown? What program and how?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
M/S mixdown? What program and how?
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Hey now. 

I'm thinking of running the 414's m/s tonight for HBRSB and a board. 
Would it be better to run them onstage or back at the board since it's m/s and not the standard cards that I usually would do? 
Delay I can deal with in post.  And I don't think I want to  use the m/s thing on the v2 and/or miniMP (don't know which I'm using on the mics and which on the board at the moment). Somewhere I remember reading it's better to mix m/s in post instead of on the fly.  True?   
So how do I deal with the recording in post?  I have most of the programs...Samplitude, Soundforge, Wavlab, Audacity, etc. 
And do I just run levels like I normally would?  I understand an m/s signal will sound wierd through the headphones without being matrixed.  No biggie on that.  Any help appreciated. 

Mark
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:44:08 PM by tapermark »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: M/S mixdown? What program and how?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
I've heard you should give yourself a little extra headroom on the levels so when you sum the m/s matrix in post you don't clip (in which case you'll have to lower the inputs into the decoder plugin which is less than ideal). However, I've never run M/S so I should probably shut up now.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: M/S mixdown? What program and how?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »
In older versions of SF, the "Pan/Expand" built-in plugin handled M/S. If it doesn't exist in v7, just search for VST or DirectX plugins that have what you want.

This works good or ya can use wavlab 5 built in decoder under effect. Keep your levels at about -6db then when ya pan the two MS together ya have head room. nice thing about wavlab is ya can listen to it while ya pan. Good luck and say hi to Josh for me.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com