Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BeyerDynamic MC-930 Does anything else exist but the next step up ?  (Read 4385 times)

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Hey Team,

Right now i run Beyer Dynamic MC-930's. What is the next step up that can run on phantom powered (11 - 52 V)  ?  Does such a thing exist ?

Steve
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:49:15 PM by steve4134 »
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: BeyerDynamic MC-930 Does anything else exist but the next step up ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »
If you like the sound of those, maybe Schoeps?  There are a lot of questions here (what are you unhappy with from you Beyers?  what are you looking for in terms of sound?  what about form factor?  what's your budget?  etc.).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »
IMO there isn't a *significant* difference in more expensive mics. Some may sound better to you if you spend more. Some may sound worse.

You're best bet is to listen to a lot of recordings.

I'd check out some of these:

Nuemann KM184 or KM140
Variety of Schoeps (mk4 / mk41)
MBHO KA200
Milab VM44

There are a lot of other options, but that's just what came off the top of my head.

I loved my MC930's and still use the CK930's (pretty much the same mics). The only reason I'd upgrade is just to try something different. If I do I'm not going to expect to be blown away by better sound.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »
I really love my 930’s. Personally, these are going to be my SDC cardioid mic pair for a very long time. I will let them age gracefully along with my ears and expertise.

Right now i’m looking at completely different types of mics (a pair of omnis with Jecklin Disc, a pair of Schoeps caps with active cables and a box for being sneaky (some security people at venues might say “naughty”), experimenting with boundary mics, etc etc.

Doubt this helped, but I had the urge to let everyone know how I feel about my 930s.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline steve4134

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »
Now that i look back , my post seems pretty stupid. I was just curious if there was another phantom powered (11 - 52 V) mic that was i guess
in the next league. I love my mics. Very happy with cost vs quality ratio. I guess i just really didnt know what i had...

steve

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »
If you're happy with your present microphones, that's great--keep them and count yourself lucky.

As a next step, you might consider adding microphones of a different directional pattern (omni? wide cardioid? supercardioid?) to your shelf so that you have a wider choice of recording methods for various situations. Or consider getting a figure-8 microphone that you could use together with one of your cardioids (or any other good microphone) for M/S stereo recording.

Or you could just continue to count yourself lucky, and resist the social pressure to always upgrade upgrade upgrade. When you know how to use a particular kind of microphone to best advantage, generally you will make better recordings with it than you would with any microphone that you're unfamiliar with, even if the unfamiliar microphone is a better product technically.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:07:03 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline steve4134

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
Thank you very much Mr Dsatz. I believe thats what i am going to do.

Thank you for your response

Steve

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:08:37 AM »
Pearl Clarity sdc's are nice

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Why change? I run Beyerdynamic MCE86II shotguns and see no reason to upgrade or change. I use cards for smaller venues, but other than that, I like being a part of the elite cadre that is Beyerdynamic users.
 :guitarist:
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
If you're happy with your present microphones, that's great--keep them and count yourself lucky.

As a next step, you might consider adding microphones of a different directional pattern (omni? wide cardioid? supercardioid?) to your shelf so that you have a wider choice of recording methods for various situations. Or consider getting a figure-8 microphone that you could use together with one of your cardioids (or any other good microphone) for M/S stereo recording.

Or you could just continue to count yourself lucky, and resist the social pressure to always upgrade upgrade upgrade. When you know how to use a particular kind of microphone to best advantage, generally you will make better recordings with it than you would with any microphone that you're unfamiliar with, even if the unfamiliar microphone is a better product technically.

--best regards

Beautifully said.
Your posts are always very informative and great to read!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com