Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone techniques - part 1  (Read 165780 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oddball microphone techniques
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
Mini Baffle
This baffle is roughly the same size as a CD (slightly larger than a cd), only square. Why square? Because round is a PITA to mount, and I'm lazy. I'd rather listen to music than build a baffle.
The cables weave through the disc face to reduce cable tension, which also helps locate the mics to the face of the baffle, and keepping them there.

The mini baffle, in different profile angles, below
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:12:47 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
Thanks Moke!  Any chance you could share a sample of a recording made with that setup?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
This is the handiest of my baffles.
This sort of started the quest to see how small you could go with a baffle.
I did this, and was astonished at the sound in the house; Sarge was where she was supposed to be in a binaural sense, the washing machine was grinding off in the distance to one side,.... 
I then went walkabout up this horsetrail, and across to a park, just recording a meandering walk.  It was a nature recording in a city'ish area. But, airplanes became pinpoint placed overhead, birds to left and right, cars whizzing by, all in glorious two channel stereo. I must've looked a bit odd, but,.. thats not that unusual. You ought to see me when I'm out dousing (water witching).

Plankton,... well, he displays the stealther attitude.

edit: fixing the autocorrect corrections.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:14:49 PM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
Thanks Moke!  Any chance you could share a sample of a recording made with that setup?

Thats a challenge.
I've got to review the pictures, to see where to look for the files.
Let me say, that I settled on an 8" baffle, that I felt worked really well with my 4060 mini omni pair.

The WsP is long gone now, from my collection. But, its out there, I think, if you know that community.
I did, and still do, do far more recordings with my larger, but, still small scale baffle. That slightly larger baffle is 8", and I found that to be a really sweet size with the miniature omni pair.
I was searching for an image of my 8" baffled omnis, with a DPA 4028 sub-card over it as a three channel recording. The band had commandeered one of my pair of 4028 to be used as a close mic source for a very quiet intimate native american flute concerto premiere. They couldn't hear the flute over the backing ensemble. So, I volunteered one of my mics as that onstage close mic (direct to a small amp via my also onstage recording bag and Grace preamp).
At any rate, I ran three channels; two as baffled omnis, and one as a vertically aligned sub-card at 0º, hoping that maybe, some day, somebody as kind, wonderful, helpful, and a dear friend, like Gutbucket, might help talk me through a mix. (sucking up enough, Lee?)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:30:19 PM by Moke »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
This raises a good point that we may all prefer somewhat different things, that real-world practicality is so often far more important than our ultimate preference based on sonics alone, and that we tend to stick with what has worked for us previously.

That a tiny baffle works perfectly well and is eminently more practical than a larger one plays directly into that.  Jecklin stuck with a 12" diameter baffle for a long time, simply because his first baffles were built around an old LP record.  He eventually found he preferred a slightly larger diameter baffle with a bit more spacing between the mics, but he was doing studio and orchestral recording where he had freedom of control and the ability to tweak the setup for subtleties, rather than taper recordings like we are doing where we don't have control and practicality trumps subtle acoustic niceties. 

I think Blumlien's original baffle was something like 8" in diameter (but thicker making it more head-like, although I'd have to check the patent to be sure) - so he's somewhat closer to the Moke-tiny-baffle-camp.   After all, Blumlien is mostly thought of as the father of coincidental microphone techniques.  At the opposite extreme, we've all seen photos of Ray Kimber's gargantuan ISO-Mic baffles which take a crane to lift.

I mostly gave up on typical J-disk baffles as being less than practical for the size I felt I wanted them to be for the effect I wanted to achieve.  Spacing tiny omnis further apart was easier for me, less intrusive, and gave me more of what I wanted from them, and flush-mounting them in small balls combined with spacing ended up serving a similar purpose in a more practical way. 

I've used columns, tree trunks, menus and other things as baffles.  Its the concepts behind them which are important, rather than the particulars of the baffles themselves.

..hoping that maybe, some day, somebody as kind, wonderful, helpful, and a dear friend, like Gutbucket, might help talk me througha mix. (sucking up enough, Lee?)
I owe you so much my friend. I originally came to TS asking about baffles back in 2006 and was immediately directed to you as resident expert!  More than happy to lend whatever expertise I can.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:49:24 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
A few comments on the Omni Cross and IRT Square configurations shown in that Sanken link of surround configurations-

These 4-channel configurations are common formats for recording ambiences.  The IRT Cross is especially popular for things like location sound used for broadcast or film since it is relatively compact.  It can be done using either cardioids with a bit more spacing or supercards with a bit less between each mic.   Consider that it is basically four DIN setups pointing in all four cardinal directions, sharing a microphone at each corner.  It has a bit more spacing than DIN to narrow the SRA of each pair to 90-degrees so that each imaging quadrant links with the next without excessive overlap or gap- this is the Williams Stereo Zoom thing, arrayed for seamless 360 degree coverage using four microphones.  For TV and film use the four channels are routed Front-Left/Front-Right/Surround-Left/Surround-Right, reserving the center channel for dialog and main channel content.

I consider the Omni Cross to be similar to Decca Tree, just rotated 45degrees, with a rear microphone added, and reassigning the channels from Front-Left/Front-Right/Surround-Left/Surround-Right to Left/Center/Right/Back.  Call that a Decca Diamond setup if you like.  That's the four channel setup I ran for years using ball baffles on the omnis partly as a way to minimize the need for excessive spacing.  I initially tried to space all the mics about a half-meter out from center, so both L/R and C/B spacing was about a meter in total.  Center/Back omni spacing often ended up being less than that as determined by practical considerations.

I found I wanted more left/right spacing, didn't need or especially want much spacing of the center mic forward of the left/right pair, and typically ended up not with a right-triangle shaped diamond configuration but rather a flatter diamond shape which was much wider than it was deep.  That played into spacing the L/R omnis 1.5 to 2 meters apart and changing the center and back mics to directional mics only spaced minimally fore and aft.  That then evolved into the OCT derivatives with the addiion of left/right facing supercards placed between the center and omnis.

I think of all these arrays as being linked by the same underlying acoustic principles.  So when I look at my oddball OCT+ array, I also see at it's core a 4-channel IRT cross rotated 45 degrees with it's channels reassigned, in a way similar to rotating an Omni Square configuration by 45 degrees to form a Decca Diamond.  I also see a simple 2-channel wide spaced omni pair, and a wide omni plus directional center three-microphone configuration.  I find a certain engineering beauty, elegance and welcome redundancy in the common aspects shared between these arrays and finding ways of combining them in this way without conflict.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:15:05 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183411.msg2239027#msg2239027

5" mini omnidirectional baffle sample
https://archive.org/details/Miniature5BaffleDPA4040

Sample:
All acoustic string quartet and lute soloist
DPA 4060 mini omni pair -> DPA MMA6000 power -> Grace Lunatec V3 48khz ANSR ->  Sony PCM-M1 Dat Oade 7-Pin digi-in
The mics are fairly low, at a level equal to the seated Lute players instrument.

I feel that this quality is very evident:
The string quartet is cleanly placed in the aural image as being in a semi-circle around the Lute, who is centered to the ensemble; and the mic array is centered to all of that.
The bass is well placed to the right, but, does bleed over a bit (there are actually two bassists in this quartet, one deeper into the semi-circle than the other.). It does retain its proper positioning in the captured aural imagery.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
Moke, I think that recording sounds great.  I'm not much of a classical music guy (I like it well enough, but rarely listen to it), but I've listened to this a couple times already.  I definitely want to try out a small baffle like that now (though sadly I don't have access to recording anything other than PA shows...which seem to be mostly mono anyway).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Maybe try a local college because they tend towards classical.

What practical difference does it make whether the baffle is square vs round?  Square much easier to make and mount just as Mike said.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
^ not much.  What is most significant is the area of the baffle, the reflectivity of the surface and how far the mics are mounted from it.  With a small baffle, the mics need to be closer to the surface to keep it effective.

Offline thatjackelliott

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
Two omnis and a little baffle. Neat idea. For music festival application I wonder how this would work compared with the setup I'll be using at our next event?

What I'm Gonna Do: Use a M-S configuration on the stage lip with a bipolar mic for Side and an omni for Mid + a time-aligned mono feed from the SB to bolster the omni Mid signal with detail and fill in the stuff that isn't loud onstage but boosted in the PA.

But What I Could Do: Use this mini-baffle setup + the time-aligned feed from the SB.

Mono-compatibility is essential for the broadcast (our FM stereo generator is turned off right now), and both the M-S setup and this dual-omni/mini-baffle setup provide that.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
^ You'll get best mono-compatibility the way you are doing it (Mid/Side, using only the mid for broadcast), along with more full-frequency-range stereoness in your stereo recordings, where you can bias the Mid/Side to L/R conversion matrix towards as much bidirectional Side as is necessary.  And that's likely to be advantageous given the fully mono PA feed.

Moke's IMO excellent sounding sample was made in what is probably the optimal situation for such a mini-baffle, or pretty much any baffled omnis.  That is, relatively close in to complex acoustic instrument sources.  The stereo image heard live from that perspective in the room will be wide due to the proximity to the group, so a mic setup which maximizes or otherwise emphasizes stereo width is unnecessary.  The stereo interest is mostly in the midrange and higher, and the relatively minimal stereo width at low and lower mid-range frequencies serves to solidify the overall image.  The omnis nicely capture all the detail, nuance, and frequency extension of the un-amplified acoustic instruments as well as a very natural sounding ambiance, and there is no audience or room noise problems to worry about.  That kind of situation is ideal for baffled omnis at the stage-lip or on-stage.

Two quite different situations to my way of thinking, except for being on-stage/stage-lip.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:56:44 PM by Gutbucket »

mfrench

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »
Moke, I think that recording sounds great.  I'm not much of a classical music guy (I like it well enough, but rarely listen to it), but I've listened to this a couple times already.  I definitely want to try out a small baffle like that now (though sadly I don't have access to recording anything other than PA shows...which seem to be mostly mono anyway).

In louder music, you'll likely find a bit larger of a baffle size to be more fitting.  High amplitude bass can/will overwhelm a smaller baffle.  In my time in playing around with baffles, I found that I really liked a 8" baffle, and mics small enough to be flexible in placement in relation to the disc face; IOW, to be scaled correctly for the smaller baffle. Smaller baffle, closer to disc face spacing.
I still carry the 5" baffle in my recording kit, but don't use it much.

mfrench

« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »

..hoping that maybe, some day, somebody as kind, wonderful, helpful, and a dear friend, like Gutbucket, might help talk me througha mix. (sucking up enough, Lee?)
I owe you so much my friend. I originally came to TS asking about baffles back in 2006 and was immediately directed to you as resident expert!  More than happy to lend whatever expertise I can.

Lets test your patience :)

I've been looking for this recording since I mentioned it. Its not exactly as I remember it (from 2009), in terms of mic placement, but its close.  I've done this setup a few times now, and later eforts were with better time alignment than these images.  The center mic is about 5 or 6" in front of the omnis, as this was the only way that I could get it in close to the baffle, and centered, for this impromptu rigging.
Rigged as three mic recording:
DPA 4060 baffled omni stereo, with mics intentionally closer to baffle face for isolation (in hopes of doing something like a figure-eight response, and possible m/s rendering in post-edit).
DPA 4028 compact sub-card at 0º

I've found that if I invert the polarity of either 4060, that the sound opens up.
What seems to be happening, without the phase inversion, is the the 4028 is bringing the whole right side of the ensemble to center, and leaving the left side of the ensemble in a more stereo width spread. It seems to phase cancel the right side to a degree, bringing it to center.
If I invert phase on either 4060 track, one one track only, it opens back up again, bringing full stereo width, and proper right channel placement.

So, to set these tracks up for a quasi-m/s mix, which 4060 track should be phase inverted? It doesn't seem critical for a generalized mix, so, lets get it right for a possibe m/s rendering.
problem for me, and a proper m/s...
I'm a computer klutz, and, doing a proper m/s rendering is eluding me.  YOu've mentioned setting something like this up for a quasi-m/s rendering.
How? please and thank you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:41:17 PM by Moke »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
A few things you can try-

1) First I'd try keeping both omnis in positive polarity, and do some stereo widening on the omni pair before mixing with the center subcard.  The Subcardioid center mic is going be be providing plenty of monophonic mid signal, so by changing the balance of the omni contribution so that it is providing mostly Side info, the combination of the three mics should be much more open and well balanced.  Otherwise you end up with too much Mid buildup, sounding overly closed and narrow, as baffled omnis are relatively Mid-heavy through much of the spectrum to begin with and mixing in a dedicated center mic doubles up on the Mid content.

Widening is a Mid/Side type manipulation, typically done to a Left/Right stereo signal.  Depending on what editor you use, it might be available right on the channel strip as a simple knob twist (in Samplitude you can do it that way at the object level or at the stereo-track level in the mixer).  If not, here's a good free VST plugin for Mid/Side adjustment- http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/.  It can also be used to convert from Mid/Side to Left/Right or vice-versa like most Mid/Side matrix plugins, yet this one has two M/S matrices available in series, so you can input Left/Right stereo and it will convert it to Mid/Side, allow you to readjust the balance ratio between Mid and Side, then covert back to Left/Right at it's output.  Using that, try increasing the wideness (more Side, less Mid) of the omni pair.  Both the input to the plugin and the output from it will be Left/Right stereo, and the Mid/Side adjustment will made entirely within the plugin.  Make the omnis as wide as it will allow- that is all Side and no Mid from the omnis, and mix that to taste with your center subcard.  This is doing a Mid/Side mix without having to do any mixer routing stuff, and such a mix should limit phase-cancellation issues since all the Mid is coming from the center mic, and all the Side from the omnis. 

Extra credit- You can also try widening the omnis to a somewhat lesser degree, in which case you'll be mixing some Mid contribution from the omnis with some from the center mic.  You'll probably want to use less center mic level that way, and it's possible you might get some phasing, which might be good or bad sounding.  But try it with the omnis "fully widened" first and compare against that.

2) You can do the routing manually.  Which is actually the same thing as above, but done a different way.  We're turning the omni pair into a dipole, at least partially, in place of a figure-8 bidirectional Side mic.  This is similar to what you are doing by inverting one omni channel or the other, but does so in a more balanced way by inverting one omni channel, summing them, mixing that sum with the center channel to produce stereo-Left, and mixing the polarity inverse of that sum with the center channel to produce stereo-Right.

To do that, first mix the Left-omni signal and the polarity inverted right-omni signal together.  Listen when you do that and carefully adjust the level of one channel or the other until you find the greatest degree of cancellation of bass frequencies in the resulting sum.  The greatest cancellation of bass frequencies indicates the most optimized and balanced di-pole sum.  Save the resulting mono mix of left-omni and polarity-inverted right-omni.  You now have two saved mono channels to work with- the center mic (the Mid-signal), and the sum of the omnis with one channel inverted (the Side-signal).

Now open your mixer screen with three channel strips.  Put copies of your omni-sum mono-mix on two of those channels, and your center sub-cardioid mic on the third.  Pan the center mic channel to center.  Pan one of he omni-sum channels fully Left.  Pan the other omni-sub channel fully right and invert it's polarity.  Then bring up all three faders.  You now have control over Mid verses Side balance (center mic fader level verses that of the other two channels in combination) and over left/right balance (the difference between of the two omni channels, without changing the center level).

Notice that in doing this you are inverting polarity twice- once in creating a mono-dipole Side signal from the two omnis. and once again in the Mid/Side to Left/Right matrix.  Other than the part about "balancing the level of the two omnis to find maximum cancellation", that's the significant difference between these techniques and what you have already tried by inverting polarity of one omni channel and then mixing the three original microphone channels directly.   This way you'll gain similar openness, but without the bass being reinforced on one side and cancelled out on the other, and with potentially improved imaging.

Both of the above techniques will only be effective at producing and preserving stereo information above the frequency at which the Jecklin disk begins working.   The addition of the center mic facing forward potentially provides more pickup of direct sound with increased presence and clarity (good) yet doubles up on the monophonic Mid information which decreases stereo width over that provided by the omnis alone (bad).   These techniques essentially reduce the Mid contribution from the omnis to make room for the center mic contribution.  To further increase the sense of openness and low frequency stereo-ness, you might try cutting the bass of the center subcard while boosting the bass of the omnis, in a complementary way so that the overall bass level remains the same.  That will increase the difference signal at low frequencies, similar to using a larger baffle, which should increase the overall sense of openness.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com