Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD Wave for mac?  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Phelps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CD Wave for mac?
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
I use a minidisc player to rcord local shows, and have always used cdwave to get them to my computer and track them out. Well my PC died and I now use a mac. Is there a simple program like cdwave for mac? Please tell me there is.

Offline Phelps

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: CD Wave for mac?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »
I saw this in your software thread

2 channel (there isn't a version of CDWAV available on the Mac, so you'll need to use one of these to mark your tracks):

Sound Studio: http://www.freeverse.com/soundstudio/
Bias Peak: http://www.bias-inc.com/
Amadeus: http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html
Wave Editor: http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/

any input on which is the easiest / best to use?

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
any input on which is the easiest / best to use?

I have been using Fission lately.  I really like it.  Don't expect it to do anything else but cut tracks up and save them, though.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Closest thing I've found to CDWave is WaveBurner.  Unfortunately it only comes bundled with Logic these days.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »
I use Wave Editor and it is not any where as easy as cdwav. :-X but it does get the job done.

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
I use Amadeus Pro and like it alot
similar to CDWave, but will not automatically cut to CD sectors
since I only do 24 bit... that is a non issue

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

I've been thinking about getting Amadeus, but haven't yet so I haven't used it much (other than a few times from the demo version).  But I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that you can set up Amadeus to place the cuts at sector boundaries.

That actually is a general question I have:  do these other programs (Wave Editor, Fission, etc) cut along sector boundaries or do I need to fix the boundaries afterwords?  I understand that can be done using xACT, but I'd like to skip that step if possible.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
That actually is a general question I have:  do these other programs (Wave Editor, Fission, etc) cut along sector boundaries or do I need to fix the boundaries afterwords?  I understand that can be done using xACT, but I'd like to skip that step if possible.

I know that Fission does NOT cut along sector boundaries, and it's not the type of software that you could change the settings for this.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Online darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

I've been thinking about getting Amadeus, but haven't yet so I haven't used it much (other than a few times from the demo version).  But I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that you can set up Amadeus to place the cuts at sector boundaries.

if it does I'm too stupid to figure it out  :P
I use the Pro version which I paid $25 on top of a hacked version
the standard issue of Amadeus is less detailed than Audacity

like most editing software now you can cut your tracks and FLAC all in 1 step

Offline Todd R

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
The fours last items in the Selection menu are devoted to the management of markers. Since the meaning
of the first two should be obvious, let us only concentrate on the function of the remaining two:
Generate Markers... Allows to generate equidistant markers on your sound. This is especially useful
in conjunction with the Split According to Markers... function if you want to cut a very long sound
into pieces of reasonable size.
You can choose Search for silences in order to place markers at the location of silences in your sound.
The Maximal level parameter gives the threshold under which a sound is considered to be silence.
The Minimal length parameter gives the minimal length a silence must have in order to be taken into
account.
If a number is found in the marker name entered in the First marker text field, it is automatically
incremented for each subsequent marker.
Modify Markers... This item allows to modify all the markers of a file in one go. If Change name
is checked, AmadeusPro will use the corresponding name for the first marker and will try to make
a guess on how to increment it for the subsequent markers. For example, if you specify ‘Track 01’,
the next markers will be called ‘Track 02’, ‘Track 03’, etc. The Align position field allows to align
the marker positions on a specified time grid. For example, specifying ‘75 Hz’ for a file sampled
at 44.1kHz allows to align markers with sector boundaries on an Audio CD
(tracks on Audio CD’s
always have a length that is a multiple of 1/75th of a second). This is useful to burn a CD without
gaps between songs.

This is what they have in the Amadeus Pro manual on splitting up tracks on sector boundaries.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Online darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
thanks for pointing that out
seems pretty straightforward... I never took the time to learn
since I never really cut CDs out my files

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »

Here's the thing about sector boundaries on the Mac: Unless you're planning on burning your raw files right after tracking, there's no point in worrying about "skipping a step". xACT can encode to FLAC *and* fix SBE's at the same time on the "fix SBE" tab. So you're just doing two steps during the encoding (fix SBE and encode) rather than doing two steps during the tracking (tracking and splitting on sector boundaries). In other words, since you're going to be encoding anyway, just use the fix SBE tab instead of the encode tab.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Todd R

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
Actually, with Amadeus you can set markers, split into tracks according to markers, and save the split files as flac all in one step -- so running your files through xAct would add a step.  I think you can even set up your FLAC tags for your songs using Amadeus as well.  Good to know that about xAct, but I'm trying to see what steps I need to have in my Mac workflow.

I just registered my free Amadeus demo version and was using it last night.  Nice program for the money, can do pretty much everything I think, though I think I might want to stay with Wave Editor Izotope MBit+ dither.

Offline greenone

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »
I didn't know that about Amadeus...that's pretty awesome that they have direct FLAC support. I may have to look into that now...been using Sound Studio for eight years and I'm perfectly happy with it but always open to new programs. Thanks for the pointer!
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
Just so you know...Sound Studio can cut on sector boundaries and it's really easy. Just set up gridlines @ 1 sec. intervals and set to 'Snap to grid.' Since each 1 sec. interval is on the sector boundary your tracks will always be perfect.

Offline greenone

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »
Good point. Though you may want more granularity than that...set up gridlines at 588 sample intervals and you can get as fine as you'd like - 588 samples = 1/75 second = 1 sector.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com