Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 25081 times)

Offline Rairun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:20:49 AM »
https://deitymic.com/products/pr-2/

https://proav.co.uk/audio/deity-pr-2-pocket-audio-recorder

This is not out yet, but if it is as good as it sounds like (-132dBV self-noise @ +30dB, 32-bit float, PiP of 3V / 5V / LINE Switchable, 30h on 2 AA batteries, very small), this is going to be the ultimate recorder for stealth taping. The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be 48 kHz only (I prefer to record at 44 kHz), but I'd be more than willing to overlook this for the other features.

In my experience, my CA-11 cards are around 16 dB quieter than the internal microphones of the Zoom H1 and the Roland R-05. They've never ever overloaded either of those recorders with a battery box, and if I decide to use my CA preamp, I can safely use a +15dB setting on the preamp if I set either of those recorders to unity gain (Zoom H1 at level 16, Roland R-05 using Line-in at level 40). Between the pre-amp and the recorders, I find that I usually use between +25dB gain (for loud shows) and +15db gain (for extremely loud shows).

So up to +30dB gain with such low self-noise (and 5V PiP to boot! might even be able to skip the battery box), with 32-float recording, sounds absolutely perfect.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:42:08 AM by Rairun »
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 08:33:30 PM »
I'm interested...it looks tiny. This + DPA lavs would be the ultimate micro setup, and no need to attach a phone like DPA's MMA-A.

Any word on pricing?

How is their preamp quality compared to the usual suspects (sound devices)?
waves -> bits

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 07:26:55 AM »

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »
No word on pricing. The fact that it's timecode enabled will probably bably raise that price a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty much what we've waited for.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 03:53:29 PM »
This looks like it has the potential to be THE definitive stealth recorder. 

Heck, with an outboard preamp it seems like it might even be fine for a two-channel rig in open taping scenarios.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 01:02:26 AM »
https://deitymic.com/products/pr-2/

https://proav.co.uk/audio/deity-pr-2-pocket-audio-recorder

This is not out yet, but if it is as good as it sounds like (-132dBV self-noise @ +30dB, 32-bit float, PiP of 3V / 5V / LINE Switchable, 30h on 2 AA batteries, very small), this is going to be the ultimate recorder for stealth taping. The only thing I don't like is that it seems to be 48 kHz only (I prefer to record at 44 kHz), but I'd be more than willing to overlook this for the other features.

In my experience, my CA-11 cards are around 16 dB quieter than the internal microphones of the Zoom H1 and the Roland R-05. They've never ever overloaded either of those recorders with a battery box, and if I decide to use my CA preamp, I can safely use a +15dB setting on the preamp if I set either of those recorders to unity gain (Zoom H1 at level 16, Roland R-05 using Line-in at level 40). Between the pre-amp and the recorders, I find that I usually use between +25dB gain (for loud shows) and +15db gain (for extremely loud shows).

So up to +30dB gain with such low self-noise (and 5V PiP to boot! might even be able to skip the battery box), with 32-float recording, sounds absolutely perfect.

Need more research on this AI smart level feature...Not so sure I would want that for taping.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm interested...it looks tiny. This + DPA lavs would be the ultimate micro setup, and no need to attach a phone like DPA's MMA-A.

Any word on pricing?

Yes the 5v cuts the need for a battery box. I’m interested.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 12:22:06 AM »
They haven't set the price yet, so don't appear too interested in case they are reading here...  :yack:

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 08:56:22 PM »
It records in stereo? I feel like these small body pack recorders are sometimes mono

EDIT: watched the video. Yes stereo recorder. Looks nice!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:01:32 PM by crunchy »

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 08:39:34 AM »
I can forsee a use case for this.  If I had it today, I'd have a use for it tomorrow :)
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 06:21:33 AM »

Any word on pricing?

Yes the 5v cuts the need for a battery box. I’m interested.

Are we certain it will provide +5 to both sides of a unbalanced stereo line in?

Offline 2X2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 07:17:43 AM »
looks interesting

they said in one of the videos that it would be available in july, yet there's still no pricing

wonder if it will be vaporware like their last 2-ch recorder?

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 12:53:29 PM »
the DPA D:VICE is so small it fits into my coin compartment of my wallet - nobody will ever check that.  super easy so smuggle in.
also you do not need to hide your phone, it raises no suspicion when looking at it and the phones battery lasts for hours for recording 24 bit.
here you will have an extra device with alcaline batteries (that can be connected remotely to - your phone).
unless the recording quality isnt muuuuch better than the DPA D:VICE i don't think this is much of a progress for stealth taping?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 01:01:46 PM by Chrysler »
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline 2X2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 06:29:48 PM »
the DPA D:VICE is so small it fits into my coin compartment of my wallet - nobody will ever check that.  super easy so smuggle in.
also you do not need to hide your phone, it raises no suspicion when looking at it and the phones battery lasts for hours for recording 24 bit.
here you will have an extra device with alcaline batteries (that can be connected remotely to - your phone).
unless the recording quality isnt muuuuch better than the DPA D:VICE i don't think this is much of a progress for stealth taping?
yes but the cheapest d:vice+4061s is like $1400

if this is a few hundred dollars as expected its a $500 rig with the numerous cheap plug in power mics

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 08:03:21 PM »
With a babynbox and Schoeps I would be intrigued.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com