Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ultra Weird recording problem NEED HELP!  (Read 1962 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Ultra Weird recording problem NEED HELP!
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »
I am beyond baffled.  I could really use your help.  I used my ADK Vienna mics on a drum kit at an acoustic show for my recording since the kit was not miced at all.  I ran on about even with the snare approx 2.5' high and the other about 2-3" outside of the hole in the kick drum.  I used Zoalla cables into my BM2p+ UA-5 , coax out with Zoalla coax cable into a Microtracker I.  Here is where it starts to get strange.  I have these random spikes, almost like a digital clip when there is no real signal.  AND, it seems like the channels swap sides as it goes along.  Any help would be great.  pictures and sound sample provided.  The decks were not being touched.  The cables are all good.  WTF is going on?????
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:04:13 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

Re: Ultra Weird recording problem NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
OK so this happens on two different CF cards and I have noticed that there is this spike right where the channels flip flop.  Any ideas?  I have used all this gear before and have never seen anything like this.   Here is a picture of the spike where the wave changes from right side to left side.   

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
The channels flipping is an important symptom. Digital data is a simple stream of samples that alternates between the left and right channels.

So if you drop a sample while recording, it flips the channels.  So you did drop samples.   That doesn't tell us the root cause but it does narrow the focus...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Based on the smallish screenshots, I believe I've experienced similar symptoms in the past with two different recorders.  One was a screwy power source connector (forget which recorder).  The other, with an MTI, was a bad coax cable.  I know you say in your OP all the cables are good.  Are you sure, i.e. have you tested the gear/cables post-problem to confirm?

Edit to add:  Just listened to the drum sample.  It's quite obvious where the channels swap.  But I don't hear the click/pop I heard in the symptoms I experienced with my issues.  Hmmm.

Edit again:  Do you have a soundcard with digital-in that you can use to take the MTI out of the recording chain?  Another digital cable to swap out?  Another ADC with which to feed the MTI?  At this point, I think you need to start isolating the problem by swapping out components for known-good (or at least different) gear.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:42:25 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »
AH, the sound sample I had removed the click.  And that click/pop is exactly where the swap happens.  AND it is a microcrapper.  A loaner at least it is not my main deck.   I'm gonna try the cable between my Sony PCM-R500 > Edirol R-44.  Then I'll try another coax cable going into the MT.  The MT was running on AC power at the time.   What really sucks is that I'll need those drum tracks to salvage the recording since none of the kit was in the mix.   

ANd to just furthur compound the issue, sometimes the click signal are both going up and sometimes they are going opposite direction.  I'll post some samples with larger screen shots.  and once I've tested cables I'll report back but cables....really, I've never seen a cable do anything like this, swapping channels.  Thanx for input guys, kirk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:23:09 PM by kirkd »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
I suggest you get a second recorder on there... like an iRiver or JB3 to optical, or a computer to USB and run that in parallel with your MT.  If the secondary source swaps at the same time as the MT, then it's it seems likely it's in the UA-5.  If it doesn't, and only the MT swaps, then it seems likely it's in the MT.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com